January 2, 2012

In Which Ellona Grants Permission

July 18, 1177

If nothing else, the little bastard seemed to be good with Ella. But still--if Neilor had the gall to show up at Ellona's castle at the crack of dawn, the least he could have done was come alone. "I can't believe you brought Landus."

"Mother insisted." Obviously. For all she seemed to enjoy making children, their mother didn't much care for having them around. It was probably for the best, though; Elarys was the sort of creature who might have made a snack of her own young if they proved otherwise useless. "Besides, you'll almost never see him. He'll be squiring for me, and I intend to keep him busy."

"So you're confident that you'll place in the top ten."

Her brother yawned. "The top ten? Lona, don't insult me. I wouldn't have come if I didn't have every intention of placing first. I've heard she's quite beautiful."

Ellona sniffed. Neilor probably appreciated beauty as much as the next man, but that didn't make it any less secondary. "And her brother's quite rich."

"Well, he can afford to host a tournament, if that says anything." Neilor's leery eyes flitted to the children. Gaze unmoved, he leaned towards Ellona and opened his mouth just widely enough for a whisper. "But honestly, I don't need his money. I mainly like the idea of Mother and I living in separate countries, and the rich, pretty wife is an agreeable bonus."

"Romantic." And yet, she couldn't blame him. She would've done the same thing. In some ways, she had. "Well, if you have that much faith in your abilities, I'm sure you and her ladyship will have beautiful children."

"I'm certain we will--though not half so beautiful as little Ella here, I'm sure." On the floor, Ella giggled and Landus offered a small smile. Neither reaction went unnoticed, but Ellona's jaw had locked. Beside her, Neilor seemed to be suffering a similar affliction. "Lona, can I ask you something?"

Ellona raised an eyebrow. It was not like her brother to ask for permission. "You just did, genius--and that's a 'yes', by the way."

Neilor swallowed, but nodded. His mouth curved into a grim frown that did not become him, a weakness in his face that he had never let show. "Do you ever worry that you'll wreck your children like Mother wrecked us?"

NEXT CHAPTER:

4 comments:

Van said...

Tuesday's post might be a little late(r than usual) because I have to catch a plane that day. But that might actually be for the best because I know it'll be a tricky post to write and the extra time to think about it might be nice.

Anyway. Happy New Year! :)

Anonymous said...

Well that's an awkward conversation, isn't it? :P I'm not sure I want Rona to be with Neilor, he seems a little too confident, if that's even possible. He doesn't deserve her, even though he doesn't seem as terrible as the others we have 'imagined' Rona to be stuck with.
Cannot wait to see what happens :D

Anonymous said...

So here is another contender for Rona's hand ... or rather Rona's dowry and the opportunity to live in a different country from his mother. (Is Neilor also the son of Ellona's father? If so, would he be his heir?) Maybe I'm being irrational, never being an Ellona fan myself and thus tarring her whole family with the same brush, but I kind of hope we get to see him get knocked on his booty.

And then he can prove that he's a nice person and settle down with somebody else. But Rona deserves better. ;)

Hey, wait a minute ... Landus is Twincest Searle's son, isn't he? And Searle is coming to Naroni? Any chance of a meeting?

Van said...

EkhoGirl: Awkward indeed, especially with Ellona's daughter in the room :S

I don't think Rona would be too happy with Neilor. It's not like he's pure evil, but she needs someone nice.

Morgaine: Yes, Neilor is Ellona's full brother. He is their father's heir, but their father really doesn't have that much to leave him. When their father dies, Neilor can always head home, pick up the money and whatever choice possessions he wants, and leave the castle to Elarys.

Ha! I'm not posing any of the actual tournament action, but it could very well happen off-screen?

Yes, Landus is Searle's son--so far, his only son. And Searle is coming to Naroni. Interesting, interesting...