March 10, 2012

In Which Vera and Lucien Break Severin's Brain

April 7, 1178

"All right, let me see if I've got this." Still blinking a little too rapidly for her comfort, Vera's father leaned forward. "You two want to get married."

And most people's fathers didn't need to hear it repeated twice. "Yes, that's the gist of it."

"And you just... randomly decided this?"

Randomly? He must have been paying even less attention than she'd guessed. "Well, not 'randomly'. But yes, we've been talking about it for a while."

"Oh." Perplexed, her father's blinking ceased to an unbroken stare. Five seconds... ten seconds... she couldn't remember the last time he'd gaped at her like that...

"Are you pregnant?"

Lucien choked. Vera would've been relieved that he'd let out a sound if not for the absurdity of her father's question. Had he just assumed that...? "What? No! I'm on the tail end of my monthly right now for God's sake; don't you think the laundress would have told you if she thought I was pregnant?"

Her father shrugged. "Just thought I'd ask. Neither of you are dying, are you?"

What? She exchanged a quick glance with Lucien. He looked even more confused than she felt. "No..."

"Did someone catch you in the act? It was Jadin, wasn't it? I swear, that boy--"

She did not want to hear how that sentence ended. "No! No one saw us doing anything!"

"Really?" He sounded genuinely puzzled. She might have felt for him if he hadn't been setting her nerves on fire. "And I take it neither of you are covering up any homosexual love affairs?"

WHAT? "All right, where the hell did that one even come from?"

"Just trying to be thorough." You don't say. "Seriously, you two just want to get married because... you want to get married?"

And there it was. Vera nodded. "Insane, I know."

Her father drummed his fingers against the surface of the desk. His eyes were so wide she couldn't guess how his sockets could hold them. "You know, I always thought I'd be relieved if one of my children married without a scandal, but this just seems like it's missing something." He somehow managed to blink, the brown of his eyes rolling off of Vera and toward Lucien. "At least tell me you've already made my little girl a woman."

"Father!"

In fact, Lucien had 'made her a woman'--more than once. But her father didn't need to know that.

"Right, right--I get it, you want your privacy." He sighed, crossing his arms over his desk and slumping onto them. This might have made a funny story years down the road if Vera thought any of her friends would believe it. "Can we at least tell people you're pregnant?"

If nothing else, she supposed she could take an obscure pride in the fact that she was probably the only noble girl in history ever to be asked that by her own father. "Umm..."

"Well, we have to tell them something. Damn it, your siblings worked hard to drag the family name through the mud and I'm not about to let you clean it off just like that." Vera raised an eyebrow. Her father swallowed, suddenly struck by the absurdity of what he'd just said. "Or... something to that effect."

She figured all three of them would be better off if she ignored that. "Er... wouldn't people notice if I didn't have a baby that soon?"

"You could always miscarry." It was the same off-hand tone he might have used to tell her it might rain if she'd said it was cloudy. "It happens."

Of course it does. "...Fine."

"Excellent!" Hands clasping like any priest's at the alter, her father shot a smile toward the ceiling and sprung to his feet. "You go tell the laundresses so they can start spreading rumors about your blood-free sheets. I'm going to find your stepmother and we'll wonder the halls while carrying on a loud conversation about how sick you've been in the mornings lately. What sounds like a good date for an emergency wedding? How about the nineteenth? What is that, twelve days from now? We'll start planning first thing tomorrow, after I confront you both for all to hear. Oh, and if you two could let someone catch you in the act, that would be great."

Not bothering to push in his chair, he cut around the corner of the desk and made a mad dash for the door. It shut behind him with an energetic thud!.

Beside her, Lucien sank back into the couch cushions. "Vera, I think we broke his brain."

Oh, probably. And yet, for the life of her, she couldn't stop smiling. "At least he didn't say 'no'."

NEXT CHAPTER:

17 comments:

Van said...

And now commences the Weekend of Much Homework :(

I'm hoping I can still get some updates out... but if I don't, at least you know why.

Anonymous said...

OMG

LOL
:P
Poor Severin, he must be trying hard to wrap his head around this! But gee, they are lucky to have such an errr, relatable father/father in law to-be! I was laughing the whole way through for this post, its so incredibly awkward.
How would Severin have coped if he was marrying off a daughter that had not been 'made a woman' and had nothing to cause extreme scandal at all?
I think he would just die of disbelief.

Joseph said...

Oh Severin! So used to scandals with his kids, he's disappointed when one doesn't happen. Gotta love him, especially putting that pregnancy story out.

Oh well, he's still got his and Nora's kids, starting with Ricky. He'll be married in about eight years, I reckon. Providing, Severin lives that long. Which he will, WON'T he?

Van said...

EkhoGirl: They certainly threw him for a loop here XD

Viridis went to her wedding bed a virgin. Then again, she was marrying Searle, which is scandalous enough in itself :P

Joseph: And to think, if word gets out that the pregnancy story was a lie, then there'll be an even bigger scandal :)

Yes, he does still have his kids with Nora... hmmm...

*goes to think up more scandals*

I decided a while ago that the last ever Naroni post would be Severin's death. So Severin gets to live as long as I want to keep writing the story (well... unless he reaches an implausible age and I still want to keep going, but I'm not sure if I see that happening). So... you're in luck? :)

Orilon said...

I was laughing through most of this at his Severin's reaction. He's so used to the scandal of his older children, he doesn't know how to react to a "normal" marriage.

Anonymous said...

I'm with) Lucien. Severin's brain is busted!

But really, Severin, isn't the whole miraculous seeing thing enough of a scandal? And what about the crazy priest trying to steal all of their life essence? It's certainly a story to tell the grandchildren!

Van said...

Orilon: To Severin, it's the least normal thing in the world XD

Morgaine: I'm not sure how informed the general population is about Remiel or even Lucien's existence. But yeah, the kids won't be short on any stories :P

Penelope said...

Eww Severin, don't be creepy. That's what Florian is for. And that homosexual relationship comment was not cool. I'm sure they would be able to narrow down which child that was a reference to. Oh Severin.

Van said...

He did seem to be channelling Florian a bit here :S

They probably could narrow it down if they thought about it, but I doubt they'll dwell on it for long, what with the impending nuptials and Severin's crazy scheming. They'll probably just dismiss it as Severin trying to cover at least one out-there scenario.

In any case, I'm not planning on having anyone else find out about Searle's relationship with Sparron just yet.

Joseph said...

Oh yeah, I remember you saying about the last ever Naroni post being Severin's death a while back now I think on it. Quite a fitting way to end the story.

Van said...

It would bring the story full-circle, I think.

Verity said...

Oh my goodness... gotta love Severin. He seemed so enthusiastic at the end there. Hilarious!

Couldn't he just have said yes?

I had no idea how much he loved the scandal until now :)

"Oh, and if you two could let someone catch you in the act, that would be great." :D :D :D

Van said...

He has grown accustomed to a certain level of unorthodoxy. XD

Chene said...

I laughed so much! My roommate thinks i'm crazy; I tried explaining the situation and all he said was "People fucked all the time in the middle ages, no one would have forced them to get married just because they were having sex" Sometimes my roommate gets on my nerves....
I love Sev! "Damn it, your siblings worked hard to drag the family name through the mud and I'm not about to let you clean it off just like that." Lmao
I never thought he'd say no but it's so cute that it confuses the hell out of him, he is not used to there not being a scandal

Van said...

XD XD I do love a good "roommate caught me reading Naroni" story.

Severin could not get unused to constant scandal if he lived to be three hundred.

Unknown said...

Speaking of roommates, I was explaining Sev's reaction to my roommate and he was dying with laughter. And kept repeating he wish Severin was real and could be his dad :P

Van said...

Haha! I love a good "I told someone in real life about something that happened in Naroni" story that didn't turn out completely awkward. XD