March 19, 2012

In Which Laralita Picks the Wrong Night

June 7, 1178

While Karlspan had been an advocate of pre-bedtime rounds, Roderick had no such established rituals and Laralita had not been inclined to develop such habits on her own. Regardless, tonight was a different story. Her heart had fluttered as the messenger had handed her Searle's letter, but stalled as she'd opened it. His words had been as distant and impersonal as they were when they met face-to-face. He wouldn't have written her at all if not for the death of her brother. He wouldn't write her again unless someone else were to pass, or perhaps not even then; he had left previous letter-writing duties to others, after all. It might have been a different story if she'd been around to tuck him in.

That, plus her brother was dead. Could anyone blame her for making the rounds tonight, really?

"Mother!"

Ramona could, apparently--bug-eyed and slack-jawed as her maid finished braiding her hair for the night. "Didn't you think to knock?"

Laralita sniffed. She'd somehow never managed to stamp out her daughter's brashness, but it was good to know that Ramona was, at least, modest. "Nothing I haven't see before."

"Perhaps, but there's no need for you to see anything now." Ramona yanked on her newly-tied braid as her maid stepped around her. "Anna, part of the neckline is curling under and it's a little itchy."

The servant took the hint--though Laralita thought she saw a hint of an eye roll. "Better, your highness?"

"Much, thank you."

Anna nodded and backed away. Laralita might have preferred it if she'd just curtsied and left, but then again she was only the help and it didn't make much of a difference. She shut the door and strode toward her daughter--Anna's presence notwithstanding. "Did you have a good day?" Was that right? It had sufficed for Conant and Lileina, at any rate.

Ramona shrugged. "I suppose. Can't say I'm sure why you suddenly care, though."

"Yes, well..."

Well what? She hadn't told the others about their uncle just yet, and she hadn't planned on telling Ramona either; it seemed too cruel, sending children to bed with fresh news of a family death, so she'd figured she'd tell them in the morning. Ramona, however, was not a child. She was a young lady, the eldest apart from Ietrin among the children still living here. After fourteen years, she wasn't about to believe that Mother 'just wanted to say goodnight'. "...I figure we'd best make the most of your remaining time here. The Carvalli hold much superstitious stock in holy dates and milestone numbers, after all; Queen Devidra did say she would have her son marry on his twentieth Christmas." And this one would only be his nineteenth--but of course the couple had to meet exactly one year before their wedding day...

"Ah, yes. I'm well aware of that, Mother--Father made sure that Ietrin made sure I knew that much."

Laralita stiffened. Her children with Roderick and her children with Karlspan had little enough in common, but it seemed that Ramona shared Searle's tendency to take every tiny detail and magnify it to grudge-like proportions. Such a tongue would surely not sit well with the formidable Devidra, but if it hadn't been curbed by now...

"Hmm. Perhaps Carvallon is too small a kingdom for both Devidra and yourself."

Ramona laughed. Odd, seeing as she hadn't been joking; Laralita never joked. Still, after everything else that day, it didn't hurt to hear it. "Good thing Prince Adrius is allegedly such a doormat, then."

"King Adrius," Laralita corrected her. "His father died when he was an infant; Devidra took the reigns then and never bothered to give them back." Not that Adrius was all that interested in reclaiming them, so they said. Oh well--not all men could be her Roderick, after all. Perhaps Ramona would prefer having someone so pathetically compliant.

"Then I suppose I'll just have to take them for myself. Granted... I suppose Father and Ietrin would prefer it if I did so on their behalf?"

"That would be the idea behind a political marriage, yes."

Ramona frowned, a stony glaze over her teal eyes. Not sure what to make of it, Laralita straightened her tiara; behind Ramona's back, Anna raised an eyebrow. "Something the matter, your highness?"

"No, thank you--just a little tired." She yawned--rather dramatically--and nodded toward the door. "Goodnight, Mother."

Nodding, Laralita returned the sentiment and headed back toward the corridor. She wasn't quite sure what she had done, but the fact remained that motherhood was still as much of a mystery as it had been when Searle had announced himself as a relentless wave of nausea. It was more than she could bear just then. Perhaps she had not picked the right night for this after all.

NEXT CHAPTER:

10 comments:

Van said...

Bah. Sorry if this chapter was a bit unfocused. It ended up being way more about Carvallon than I'd planned, but I'm really pumped about that storyline, so I should have figured it would take over :S

Ugh. I've been so ridiculously thirsty lately. I'm down to my last bottle of water (yes, it has to be bottled!), a small carton of chocolate milk (which I love, but isn't all that thirst-quenching). Oh, and a bit of 1% milk, but since I only drink white milk with Kahlua and ice, that probably won't help with the dehydration thing :S

Anyone else ever had this problem before? :S

Penelope said...

Hehehe, I think you might be alone in that one. You need a water filter! Mr. Pen was making fun of me a while ago for my drinking specifications. He bought me a SodaStream and then for like a month, every glass of water I drank (unless exercising) had to be filtered in the Brita thing, chilled in the fridge for a few hours, then carbonated in the SodaStream.

There seems to be a bit going on with Laralita in this chapter that she refuses to acknowledge. I get the feeling from her that she is only interested in her children insofar as they are an extension of her self. This little visit to Ramona's room was, as far as she was concerned, her grand attempt at parenting. Then there was that moment where she read a lot more into something that Ramona said than what was apparently present. Saying that Roderick had informed her about the Devidra's plans for her sons didn't seem like an accusation of neglect on Laralita's part. It was just a statement of fact. Really, Laralita is one of those people who should have never had children.

Penelope said...

Hehe not "the Devidra" but simple "Devidra". I think I started to type something else.

Van said...

My parents have a Brita filter, which... umm, still doesn't get out all the ions from the tap XD

(In my defence, though, my brother is even pickier than I am in regards to food/drink in general--although, he does drink tap water.)

I don't think I've ever heard of SodaStream. Is that just in the States?

My main concern with Laralita in this chapter was that there was a bit of subtext I wanted her to pick up, but that always runs the risk of her seeming too smart XD But yeah, she probably shouldn't have had the kids--in fact, in a modern setting, I kind of doubt she would have even wanted kids, at least not if she couldn't afford a nanny.

Heheh... the thing with Ramona's Roderick comment was that Ietrin was the one who actually informed her, like Roderick and Laralita themselves couldn't be bothered. That may have been a bit too subtle, though, so my bad :S

I spent most of last night thinking about the Carvalli Royal Family, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if there are at least a few people who call her "the Devidra" XD

Penelope said...

Ha! You know what? I totally misread that Roderick comment. I thought that she said something like, "Father made sure that Ietrin and I knew," not "Father made sure that Ietrin made sure..." etc. I thought that the slight that Laralita was feeling was squarely on her motherly shoulders. It was not at all the fault of the writing-- It was the fault of my scan-prone eyeballs. Still, Laralita must have been feeling pretty guilty to have been that put off by such a little dig.

This Devidra woman sounds more atrocious than Laralita and we hardly know anything about her. XD

Hunh, you know, I don't know if the SodaStream is only sold down here. It's pretty neat though. I really like sparkling water but I hate buying it by the bottle. This thing has probably paid for its self by now.

Van said...

Heheh. It is kind of early in the day XD

Oh, I am definitely looking forward to writing her. Roderick has no idea what he's getting into :S

Hmmm... now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever had sparkling water--just Dasani and Aquafina and other overpriced brands that are nonetheless more attuned to my ridiculous palate. I'm guessing it's the equivalent of our club soda?

Penelope said...

Yes! But no. Club soda often has other stuff in it-- sweeteners or even a weird saltyness. Get yourself a bottle of Perrier or San Pelligrino or something. My favorite is a brand called San Benedetto but I can't always find that.

Van said...

Huh. I'll have to keep an eye out for those. I think they might have San Pelligrino in Calgary.

Anonymous said...

Such an awkward mother Laralita makes! Ramona seems like your typical teenaged princess though so I guess if the circumstances were different - THINGS would be different.
Honestly, the way I imagine Laralita in modern times would have to translate to some kind of not-gold digger, in the sense that she wouldn't settle for someone without money to provide for her and having children would just be another way to lock the hubby down even more.
I'm interested in this Carvallon story too! Sounds like you have some interesting characters getting ready to introduce themselves! :P

And as for the water, I know what you mean. When I moved town last year the water issue was the worst, as I used to live in an environmentally 'aware' town where they protested putting flouride in the water and all kinds of stuff - so coming here where flouride and who knows what else is thrown into the water by the bucket load was a really difficult transition - safe to say we lived off bottled water for the first four months!

Van said...

"Awkward" is a good way to describe Laralita's parenting attempts, for sure :S

Mona is very much a "princess" in some ways--kind of spoiled, just a teeny bit full of herself--but she is pretty young and she does have some spirit, so I don't think she's doomed to end up like her parents at this point.

Oooh, that would make sense for Modern Laralita--having a baby to secure the wealthy hubby XD

Yeah, it's weird how the water varies from town to town. They use a ton of fluoride back home, but not here. It can be a pretty big adjustment. I'm still sticking to my bottled water wherever I go XD