March 11, 2012

In Which Raia Inspires an Unwanted Thought

April 17, 1178

Leara could not have picked a better time to show up. For all Raia loved her sister and for all Vera was normally good about avoiding fuss over all things girly, she had to concede that if a young woman ever had an excuse for that sort of excessive giddiness, an upcoming wedding wasn't the most unreasonable. She'd been willing to help with the wedding dress, but that was hardly the same as actively wanting to do so; the interruption had been more than welcome. "Oh, thank God."

Her friend snickered. "Fingers all stitched out?"

Raia held up her hand and examined the finger she'd pricked about ten minutes prior. She could still see the hole if she squinted. "You'd think all that whittling would have helped, but it's a different technique entirely."

"Speaking of which, how's the toy-making going anyway?"

"Wonderfully, thank you very much," she chirped as she sat down on the empty side of the couch. "I hope little Celina liked the horses I made her."

"They're her favorites--and everyone else's, for that matter. Even Ricky's willing to play with her as long as he can be the horses."

"Glad to hear it, because there's a set of soldiers in the works for his birthday." Raia sighed--a little light-headed, maybe even a little dreamy. It was so nice, having a focus! Thank God the kids were now of an age to occupy themselves; as much as she loved them, she'd been itching for something that was just hers. She didn't know what had possessed Rifden to give someone like Falidor a wood carving knife, but with everything it had given her she hardly cared to question. "And speaking of birthdays... should I be working on something special for next winter? A little birdie told me you'd gone off the herbs."

Leara blushed. Raia wasn't sure why she kept telling Rona all these things when they all ended up in Riona's big mouth, but from the looks of that smile it might not have been much of a secret. "We've been trying for another one, yes. I've had a few courses since we started, but if you must know..." The pink tint of her face went almost red. "...the last one was a little while ago."

"Oh?" Raia felt her brow peak in interest. "And just how little of a while ago was this?"

"Not long enough to know for sure, but Rona's expecting another call from Arydath tomorrow, and I was going to visit her again anyway." Leara's eyes closed. Any remaining red drained from her cheeks, leaving them just as pale as the rest of her. "Poor girl. I wouldn't have thought it possible to lose so much weight during a pregnancy."

Raia shuddered. She'd only seen Rona once or twice since they'd made the announcement, but Riona said she was a wreck and Jadin said the same of Ashe. But if nothing else, Rona was much like her mother in the sense that she was tougher than she seemed. "With any luck the nausea will stop soon. That's bound to help at least a little, I would think."

"Arydath said something to that effect. Still a little worrisome, though." Raia nodded in agreement. Did Leara perhaps blame herself in part, not putting a stop to that tournament back in the summer? She'd seen Lorn about a week before and he'd seemed a little guilty. Not that Raia thought either of them--or anyone, really--had any reason to feel so. There was practically a guarantee that a parasite would do at least some damage, even if said parasite was of the offspring variety. "Anyway, this is now probably the worst possible time to ask, but when are you thinking about starting on your next?"

Raia blinked. Had she done something to bring on that question? Some unconscious gesture or unchecked look? She certainly hadn't meant to inspire such thoughts. "Actually, I... haven't really though about that just yet."

"Oh." She sounded almost... disappointed? Raia frowned. She might have expected that from Falidor, or maybe even Alina or Sev, but Leara? "Sorry, I just... well, Ricky plays so well with both of your kids, but they're all a little older than Celina, and I was kind of hoping that maybe my third would have a little playmate in yours."

"Oh." Well, that wasn't completely irrational. Still... "I don't know. I mean, I'd like to have another one eventually, but..." Raia trailed off. For all Leara meant well, she was a princess and a duchess and while she was still a wife and mother she did have other duties with which to occupy herself. Stewards' wives didn't always have that luxury--even if they were also lords' daughters.

But for all she probably wouldn't get it, Leara didn't look quite satisfied. Raia picked at one of her nails and grimaced. "I finally have time for myself again, you know? I mean, the kids are still a lot of work, but there's a world of difference between six-year-olds and newborns. My father's giving me more jury spots and I've been thinking of taking commissions on my toys and it's just kind of nice not to have to drop everything to go nurse or change a diaper or what have you."

Leara pursed her lips. She wasn't about to protest. Seemed that Raia hadn't given her friend the credit she deserved. "I see."

"Thank you." Raia blew a strand of her out of her face and slouched into the cushions. She'd thought she'd had it all mapped out in her head, but now that she'd been asked it was difficult to find the words. "Like I said, I'll probably want another one at some point, but I just don't know if now is the right time. I've finally got other things happening for me and I don't know if I can handle a baby on top of all that."

"I understand." Leara turned her eyes to the empty hearth, a slight smile tugging at her lips. Raia wasn't quite sure if it was heartfelt, but it was a nice gesture regardless. "For what it's worth, though... if anyone can do it all, it's you."

NEXT CHAPTER:

7 comments:

Van said...

I don't know if this post passes the Bechdel Test! I mean, they mention a few males, and a few come up in Raia's thoughts, but they're not really talking about them? Then again, theoretical babies could be boys--and is pregnancy really the best topic for passing the Bechdel Test? Augh!

While I don't consider Naroni to technically be historical fiction, writing about "the times" does tend to make one feel like a bad feminist :(

On a different note... hear that? That's the sound of daylight savings time kicking my ass :S

Anonymous said...

Slight error here I think: "she'd needed been itching"
But oh gosh, I hope Rona is okay! And Ashe must be kicking himself thinking it's his fault! And poor Raia! This conversation has to be the height of awkwardness, I guess Leara just doesn't get it.
And I have no idea what the Bechdel Test is :/

Penelope said...

hahahaha! I had to look that up. I'd never heard of The Bechdel Test. I wonder if anything that alludes to a male presence (as pregnancy and Vera's wedding surely do) counts as a fail. I am totally going to think about this every time I read/view a scene featuring women exclusively. I'm not sure that I've ever written a scene that passes that test.

Werd about the daylight savings. My cat was pouncing on my head this morning because I dared to sleep for what seemed to her like an extra hour. I think her grasp of language is getting better though because I told her to go back to sleep and she did just that.

What is Raia wearing?? *bug eyes* It looks like underwear. And I don't know why she feels guilty here. Leara is in the wrong. You don't ask someone to get pregnant just to be companionable. Leara even gets extra douche points for not even being pregnant at the time that she made the remark.

Anonymous said...

You know, the more I read this ... the more I wonder if maybe Raia just doesn't want any more kids. (Which is perfectly ok. She's got one of each. And it's not like Severin will be lacking for grandchildren.) She may just keep saying, "Later, not quite now" to keep people from keeling over in shock.

And I give Leara a pass on the questioning about pregnancy -- number one, Raia brought it up. Number two, she really didn't press. And number three, she didn't protest. After that remark about wanting her upcoming little one to play with Raia's, she didn't really say much. Maybe her body language was saying things to Raia, but you really can't control your body language the way you control your words, since so much of it is unconscious.

But poor Rona. :( I'm not one hundred percent sure, though, that Ashe has any reason to blame himself for her difficult pregnancy (which I'm sure he's doing). If there's something off in Ashe's swimmers, it's probably on the chromosomal level, right? I don't know if that would have an effect on morning sickness, since that's probably something in Rona's hormones. But ... knowing Ashe, he's still blaming himself.

Here's hoping that Rona and Leara both get safely through the pregnancy and have some pretty bouncing babies at the end of it! :D

Van said...

EkhoGirl: D'oh! Started to say one thing and ended up saying another. Thanks for the catch.

We won't be seeing Rona again until August, if that says anything. As for Raia and Leara, they are at slightly different points in what they want (that, and Leara and Lorn might be thinking a spare would be good to have around). Having another baby just isn't a priority for Raia right now, but for Leara it is.

To pass the Bechdel Test, a work must:
1. Have more than one female character.
2. Two female characters must talk to each other.
3. They must talk about something other than a man.

Shockingly few things manage to pass :S

Pen: Yeah, I don't know if it has to be specifically a man (I know it's not just men in a romantic context--Raia and Riona were talking about Jadin would still fail). I've written a few things that passed, but I don't think any of them were in a Sims story, and certainly not in Naroni.

Ah, the animals XD I sometimes wish I had a cat or a dog, but then I hear stories like that and it goes away :P

Raia's wearing a top/skirt combo that I haven't shared because I'm looking for a better skirt mesh. I liked her old dress but it wasn't quite her, so she now has the least historically accurate costume in Naroni :P

Eh... people tend to feel guilty over things they shouldn't. Leara actually is pregnant--but she does't know for sure yet, and it's a little early to blame much on the hormones. Probably in part a few latent Roderick genes kicking in :S

Morgaine: It's perfectly possible that Raia just doesn't want another kid ever. She's only twenty-two; I'm twenty-one and half the time I don't even know what I want for breakfast, much less how many kids I want (if any). But yeah, she's got one of each and they both rolled decent lifespans and her husband has other kids and her father will have tons of grandkids (and would totally understand her not wanting to have more).

Yeah, Leara could have been much more annoying. A lot of it might have been Raia playing it up in her head too, or at least her being hypersensitive to body language.

Yeah, now that we know for sure that Ashe is actually capable of impregnating a woman, the only "problem" I can think of that he might have that other guys don't is a possible lack of a Y chromosome (I haven't decided this yet--but I think Rona's hoping for a girl anyway). Is it even possible for something in the sperm to influence the pregnancy experience? It's probably just Rona's hormones and immune system going overboard. But yeah, Ashe is definitely blaming himself :S

Keri said...

As the current resident pregnant person, I'll answer the sperm question. The reason we lucky ladies get morning sickness is because of an increase in progesterone (the pregnancy hormone). Higher levels make the lady more sensitive to smells and foods. Also the digestive system slows down considerably while pregnant in order for the body to absorb any and all nutrients in the food it is processing and then to pass that onto the baby. So if mommy eats too much or too fast, she'll be prone to throw up. Also morning sickness is actually all-day sickness and for me anyway can be triggered by even the thought of certain foods...like right now..pizza...ugh. And it's weird, I normally like pizza.

For me it's generally triggered by smells. Like if I'm at work and I go into the break room after someone has just microwaved some kind of really gross smelling leftovers. Or the public bathroom...I cannot stand the smell of bathrooms when pregnant.

Some things that help are the smell of lemons and vanilla. So maybe Rona needs to stock up on some lemons and wear them around her neck or something.

Morning sickness tends to subside around the beginning of the first trimester when the hormones balance out a bit, which thank God because the second trimester comes with ligament pain and the baby starts kicking the crap out of your insides. Particularly your bladder...which feels like it shrinks, but doesn't actually but the baby is constantly putting pressure on it making you run to the bathroom every five minutes. Remember what I said about public bathrooms...ugh.

Nothing in Ashe's sperm could have caused the nausea, except the fact that he got her preggers in the first place.

A side note: Careful on the chromosome issues with Ashe. Generally chromosome issues result in miscarriages, but lets all hope the sex pond did a good job huh?

Just thought I'd help clear that one up...the only thing I can think of that sperm could do to the pregnancy experience is if you have a really tiny girl and a really big guy have a baby...then that's gonna be a big baby and she may have some trouble during delivery. Other than that, who knows?

Van said...

I thought it was a hormonal thing, with nothing to do with the sperm (well, aside from the obvious :P). Thanks for the clarification :)

Pizza? Yikes! I practically live off of pizza :S Good to know certain scents seem to be helping, though.

Rona would have still been in her first trimester at the time of this post (she's in her second currently), so it's good to know I got the nausea timing right? :P

I'm no expert on chromosomes, but I think the only chromosomal change that would have occurred with Ashe was one X to a Y. Unless of course the transformation didn't go right down to his DNA, in which case I think the only thing different about his swimmers would be that they're all Xs (although--I believe there are at least a few genes on the Y chromosome related to the function/maintenance of the male reproductive organs, so just the fact that he managed to get her pregnant probably means he has one?).

As for shooting off extra chromosomes or not enough chromosomes, I think it's safe to assume that he doesn't have any greater chance than any other guy. Which is, you know, lucky--considering, as you said, most polysomies/monosomies result in miscarriage, stillbirth, or death pretty much immediately after birth :S

Thanks Keri! I enjoy talking about science and I enjoy talking about pretty much anything related to sex, so it's nice to get a chance to talk about both at once XD