March 25, 2012

In Which Lettie Takes a Couple More Minutes

July 12, 1178

Lettie's tossed dress missed its peg and fell to the bottom of the wardrobe. It would have to say there; with her middle as big as it was, it wasn't as if she could just reach for the hook like she would have months prior. She supposed she could ask Searle to get it--not like he didn't owe her, after all--but he'd done that for her during her previous pregnancies and he'd never gotten it right. It would be less rumpled fresh from the heap.

Still. Damn physics. Lettie shut the door and waddled herself and the parasite over to the bed. "Searle, the wardrobe at Tetran had better be more accessible."

"Don't worry. Sparron promised you drawers, didn't he?"

Had Searle been in the room for that? "Yes, but I won't rest easy until I see them."

Her husband laughed, for the first time in a while. In spite of everything, it wasn't unwelcome. "You pick the strangest neuroses, you know?"

And neither were his stupid comments--so long as she forgot that his stupid comments were what had gotten her into this spot in the first place. "You didn't get to pick your neuroses, Scout. I shouldn't have to explain this to a man who has to put on his boots just to take them off and put them back on again."

"They're never comfortable the first time."

Uh-huh. "All in your head, kid."

Searle snorted, his back straightening as he swung his legs off the edge of the bed. "'Kid'? I'm three months younger than you."

"Closer to four, actually."

He flashed one of those typical sheepish smiles as he stood. Eh... she supposed she was done being angry with him. He still owed her, but at this point, was anger really all that practical? Besides, her due date was creeping up on her and it would probably go a lot more smoothly if she could let herself relax.

And what better way to relax than harmless banter? "Not that you were ever very good at counting."

"Lies. I could out-count Jadin until the Desk Leg Incident of 1158."

"Searle, in 1158 you were a year old."

"I was unfathomably precocious." He tugged at his shirt collar and chuckled. "I missed this--all this back and forth. You insulting me and me trying to defend myself."

He was grinning again. She wondered if he'd missed that too. "I know what you mean. You can't blame me for being pissed off, though."

"I know." A bit of a nervous quiver in his mouth, he reached for her hand and kissed it. For all he'd been a faded version of himself lately, his lips were as soft as she remembered. "Forgive me?"

Logically speaking, did she really have a choice? "Searle, we've got two kids and we might be getting a third and since you're not a complete asshole, we're stuck together until one of us kicks it. I think we'd both be pretty miserable if I never forgave you--even if you're never going to be able to pay me back for this."

His arms enclosed her as her own fingers fell upon his shoulders. "You're the best, you know?"

"That's right. Don't you forget it, Champ."

With a sudden, fluid motion he dipped her to the ground--somehow even mindful of her belly. "Oh, I won't."

"Searle--"

Ah... what the hell? She had resolved not to be angry with him, after all. And with her hormones in their current state, who could blame her? Besides, he couldn't possibly get her pregnant now; really, would there ever be a better time? Probably not.

But a sudden gush of fluid begged to differ.

"Um... Searle?"

He stopped, concerned. A few months too late for that look, but she'd take it. "Everything all right?"

Did he really need to ask? Maybe she'd let herself be angry for a couple minutes longer. "Turns out the baby didn't get a copy of the schedule."

NEXT CHAPTER:

6 comments:

Van said...

Just as a heads up--next post promises to be a visual disappointment. Neither Searle nor Camaline would throw me a half-appropriate expression no matter what I did, so I just sort of gave up and resolved to let the text do most of the work there.

On a different note, I had no idea that Sims could have allergies. Both toddlers on the lot kept sneezing during this shoot.

Penelope said...

I think Lettie's character is starting to annoy me. She has this pseudo-intellectual tomboy thing going on that really isn't cute. But far more importantly, she doesn't seem to grasp that this thing that is so much Searle's fault was really her decision in the end, puppy dog eyes aside. It's her mistake more than anyone else's because Sparron is mentally ill.

Anonymous said...

Ohhh gosh, what are they going to do!!! :S
Don't be too worried about sims not behaving - I'm not stressed about specifics of the shots, but I do expect glimpses of scandalously uncovered areas and of course, babies :P Haha
And I don't think I've seen any of my toddlers sneeze, that would be so CUTE!

Anonymous said...

Oh boy! Here we go!

Looks like the Great Baby Caper of 1178 has hit another snag. How are they going to pull this one off? It's Lettie's third baby, so it's probably going to come relatively quickly (RELATIVELY), so they can't move her. Also, good luck explaining it if they did move her.

Pen, you've got a point about Lettie ... she did agree to this, after all. She could have said "no" and been done with it, Searle's puppy eyes notwithstanding. Searle would have eventually given up trying to pester her ... I think ... maybe?

Van, I think Sims get allergies in the spring -- but you're right, it's super adorable!

Orilon said...

The allergies are part of the Spring Season with the Seasons EP. If you're interested there are mods to stop the allergies.

This throws a wrench in the plans, I just hope that Lettie is ok by the end of it.

Van said...

Oh wow, lots of comments.

Pen: I think Lettie kind of annoys some inhabitants of Naroni too, considering the times. She's not a Lady like Leara or Rona, but she is a bit snide and indoorsy and therefore not as upfront about it like Raia or Ellona. She certainly wasn't popular in Dovia outside her own immediate family.

I think Lettie's main problem is sort of akin to Severin's. She gets a kick out of being shocking and controversial and she never passes up a chance to test things, which in itself isn't a bad thing, but sometimes she has a hard time seeing the line between "experiment" and "trap".

That said, I do give her some credit for taking the necessary precautions, but clearly she didn't get lucky there :S

EkhoGirl: Stay tuned...

Fortunately(?), there be no babies or scandalously uncovered areas in the next post :P

Morgaine: I think the Great Baby Caper of 1178 is really just one big snag :P

Yeah, moving Lettie would not be a good idea--and if Searle doesn't realize it right away, I'm sure she won't hesitate to tell him.

Searle probably would have given up eventually, although not as soon as she would have preferred (which would have been, of course, immediately). I guess she figured she was better off setting her conditions to make sure it was a one-time-only thing, then taking every precaution in the book before and after the big day. Not that that plan worked :S

Sneezing toddlers are very cute! Especially lacking the snot of real toddlers. I was a bit worried it would lead to a more serious illness, though.

Orilon: Heheh... I sometimes forget to change the season on time, so it could have very well been spring in-game. I don't think I need to stop them, though; the animations don't last long, and they're pretty cute :)

Oh, there is definitely a significant wrench :S