March 6, 2012

In Which Eilyssa Spies the Speaking Stares

April 3, 1178

Fenrick did not typically indulge his niece by being a compliant playmate, but today--as the mourners and well-wishers and passer-by filed out of the house at last--Geneva had taken him by the wrist and dragged him to the toys and he'd followed without protest, even if only halfheartedly. Not that Eilyssa would have expected more than a half-hearted effort. Not with what they said about twins. Poor boy had spent the past three days missing a piece of himself and he was never going to get it back.

Her father had returned home that afternoon just in time to say goodbye before the light in Lornian's little eyes flickered out, just in time to see Celina crawling back into bed, complaining that she was feeling warm again. She barely made it through the next morning.

Now short two siblings, Eilyssa had spent the past couple hours at the side of her stepmother--who was now short two children. She'd scarcely said a word since Lornian had died and even fewer since Celina, but that was fine. Words were insufficient anyway.

"I'll bring Geneva over tomorrow." It wasn't much, but it was something. "I'll bring her every day if you want. She and Fenrick seem to be..." What? 'Having fun' wasn't the right phrase. Fenrick wouldn't be having any fun for a while. But at least he had a focus, sort of. At least he wasn't wondering around mindlessly searching for his twin like he'd been yesterday.

Alsina nodded and Eilyssa took to sharing a glance with her brother, seated nearby. He hadn't spoken much either, but he seemed to be coping better than his mother was. But that was to be expected, wasn't it? It hit the parents worst. If anything were to happen to her own daughter, Eilyssa doubted she'd have the strength to get out of bed.

Her brother had their father's eyes. He had Alsina's eye color, but they way he stared had Aldhein Denvus written all over it. He could speak in stares if words did not suffice, and he was doing that now.

A pity that his mother wasn't looking.

"We could spend the night if you like." That wasn't an imposition, was it? In her head it had sounded like an offer... "You and Father could take a break. Fenrick and I can watch... uh, Fenrick."

It used to be that Alsina would laugh over the name confusion, but nothing was funny today. "Thank you."

Her father's eyes darted from her husband to her and he nodded. Eilyssa's mouth twitched, but she hadn't quite smiled. Her father hadn't either.

She didn't think any of them would be smiling tonight.

NEXT CHAPTER:

13 comments:

Van said...

I stopped doing mass grow-up shots quite some time ago, but I figure in the case of characters who don't make it to adulthood...

Celina is definitely Aldhein's daughter. Lornian looks like Alsina and Uncle Falidor.

I aged up Lucien for the next chapter. Just as a warning, he looks pretty different--he apparently has one of those noses that looks different in all the non-adult stages and it changes the look of his whole face rather drastically.

I think I've grown a little too paranoid of mixing my worlds. Today in a writing workshop an observation from Naroni (Riona's "keys" thought about Isidro and Rona) would have summed up something in someone else's piece perfectly, but I couldn't bring myself to use that metaphor in case someone Googled it XD

Also, if you're on Facebook you've probably seen this, but if you have half an hour, this is worth a watch.

Anonymous said...

This is so sad, I am impressed that Alsina is managing to keep the tears away for any amount of time - it must be horrid to lose a child.

Van said...

It's been a few days; chances are she's all cried out :(

Penelope said...

Heh, the secret fear of being found sim-writing.

I think I have to consult the family tree. Did two children die at once here.

I'm not on facebook, so thanks for the link. *runs to work*

Van said...

Three and a half years later and my family still doesn't know XD

Alas, the family tree is frozen in time from the minute it was retired :S But basically Lornian died on the day of the last post and Celina died the next day.

Penelope said...

Holy crap, I certainly hope Alsina isn't left alone for any amount of time over the next six months or so. :\

I completely forgot about the tree situation when I wrote that. *facepalm* Please forgive my doltish ways.

Heh, no one knows about my sim writing apart from Mr. Pen, Mr. Pen's brother (Mr. Pen has a big mouth) and Veron but she doesn't count. :p I would tell my bff but I don't think that she would care. And I don't want anyone in my family/Mr. Pen's family to know because they would certainly read it.

Although, I did once have a coworker who had a legacy going on a forum somewhere.

Van said...

Yeaaaah, between Aldhein and Dalston and Eilyssa I hope they can work something out there :S

No worries. I'm still getting used to that too :(

I lied, I just remembered that my brother knows, but he doesn't really care :P Two or three of my friends know two (one was reading at one point; not sure if she still is).

Love your new blog, by the way :)

I don't think I've ever met anyone else in real life who posted Sims stuff on the internet. Or if I have, I never knew it :P

Penelope said...

The thing about secret simming is, we could all know people who do it and never find out. :D

As for the tree, would something with this basic idea work:

http://vanstesttree.blogspot.com/2012/03/sunny-searle.html

In this model, the links could all be images, so you could have a picture of the parent/child/sibling captioned with their name, birth and death, etc.

Thanks, Van! New story is coming along. I'm 5 chapters and 9,000ish words into the writing. Eep!

Van said...

Maybe everyone's a Simmer XD

Funnily enough, I actually set up a blog some weeks back with a similar idea in mind--sort of like a combination of your test tree and Lothere's pages--but when I tried to use a bunch of images, it was difficult to align them properly without tampering with the coding and the template wouldn't stretch far enough for more than three pictures in a row. That and the images had to be wrapped differently and given Blogger's editor that made it very difficult to align the text properly. I fought with it for a couple of hours before deciding most of the information was on the character profiles anyway :S

Maybe WordPress or something would be kinder to it? Well... not WordPress because I wasn't exactly a fan of it while I was doing IFV. But there are other sites.

Thanks Pen :)

Oh wow! You've been working like crazy :D

Penelope said...

Ahhh yes, I see what you mean. But an image could be 100px by 100px and still be legible, no? What about stacking the images rather than committing to the side by side deal? In any case, that sort of a tree would be a lot of work.

Van said...

Given the number of kids and siblings and sexual partners some of these characters have, a stack would make the page pretty long XD

But I'll try it with the smaller images to see how that looks. Might still look for another host, though--preferably one where I could dragged and drop the images.

Anonymous said...

Oh my God. Losing one child is hell, but two at once? *sniffle* How are Alsina and Aldhein even approaching sanity?

And little mini-Fenrick just about broke my heart. Wandering around looking for his twin? If there's anything that is capable of rubbing salt into the wound of a grieving family's soul, that has to be it. Poor all of them!

Thank goodness for Eilyssa. She'll do what she has to get her family through this. That girl has clearly inherited some of her mother's awesome. And her father's too, of course.

Van said...

It has been a couple days. Alsina seems to have gone borderline catatonic. Aldhein meanwhile is used to being a mountain, but he has always been one of the volcanic variety and that mounting pressure can't be good :S

Young Fenrick probably won't be the same for a while, if ever. He's almost at the kid stage, but he's still very much in the moulding phase and in the space of a few days he might have been forced into another lane and sent en route to becoming a completely different person. Poor kiddo :(