April 7, 2012

In Which Searle Aspires to a Change in Pace

July 13, 1178

After the events of the previous night, smiling was the last thing Searle cared to do, but his father didn't have any fault in the matter and if anything it was a relief to see someone who could possibly forgive him. For that, a tug of the lips was a small price to pay. "Good morning, Father."

A cordial response might have been in order, but his father just brushed past him, his hand landing a quick cuff to the side of Searle's head. The baron must have stopped by Veldora Keep on his way home. "Ow."

"Sit."

The same hand pointed to the couch, like it was Searle's childhood bedroom and he'd earned that dishonorable exile. All these years later, he hadn't learned a response other than to sigh and do as he was told. "I'm guessing you talked to the baron."

His father's fingers drummed against his hip as he tried to fight back a scowl. "He said that Sparron took credit for the idea, but he didn't seem convinced--and frankly, I'm not either."

Guilty, Searle slouched, his shoulders digging his grave in the cushion behind him. He wished Sparron hadn't done that. The gambit hadn't fooled anyone. No, that wasn't quite true. It had fooled Searle. "Father--"

"Oh, no. You don't get to talk first." No. Considering the blur of recent events, it was an unwarranted vanity to presume otherwise. "What the hell were you thinking? Look, I know you've still got feelings for Sparron and I know you'd go pretty far out of your way to help him out, but at Lettie's expense? How could you do that to the poor woman?"

He sunk a little further. "To be fair, I gave her plenty of time to say 'no'."

"And anything that isn't an outright 'No' is an automatic 'Yes'? Damn it, I taught you better than that."

Searle swallowed. It had been a foolish thing to say, especially with the way Sparron had reiterated that lesson last night. Don't. We can't. And when that wasn't enough, a shove and what might as well have been a declaration of contempt. "Father--"

His father shook his head. "You know, perhaps I ought to thank you. After all these years of repeatedly telling myself 'This is the fucking stupidest thing any child of mine has ever done', now I'll just be able to look back on this and tell myself that whatever matter at hand can't possibly compare. But enough about an old man's vanities; tell me, how is your daughter?"

"Rennie? She's well--"

"Glad to hear it, but I meant Alina."

Oh.

He would love that baby; he'd promised Lettie that he would, after all, and Lord knew he owed her one. But was it unreasonable to believe he could phase himself into that love? Get to know the kid a little bit, love her out of something beyond obligation? Wasn't it a little fairer for the both of them? Blind, stupid love was a dangerous thing. Thanks for that lesson too, Sparron. "Uh..."

His father sighed. "I don't care if she's Sparron's. She's going to need a father, and unless you want to hurt Lettie even more, Sparron can't be that for her. You're her mother's husband, and frankly, it was your idea to bring her into the world. You're her father, and if I have anything to say about it, you'd better be a damn good one."

Searle tried to pull himself out of his slouch, an ache creeping up his spine. His father was right, as usual. He'd be sure to spend more time with the baby, try to speed the process somewhat. It was the responsible thing to do. Responsible seemed like a good change of pace from 'idiot in love'. "I understand."

"Good." Face softening somewhat, his father shuffled forward and gave him a quick pat on the shoulder, that gentle hand the same that had landed so firmly on his head. "You have quite possibly the biggest heart of anyone I know. I don't doubt that you'll find room enough for her."

NEXT CHAPTER:

6 comments:

Van said...

I am happy to report that next post will be the last of July '78.

Also, I have archived the April Fools' Day banners. They can be found here.

Aaaand there's a brief announcement about the status of my other stories here (no cancellations!).

Aaaand I finally got a Goodreads account. I won't post the link here because it has nothing to do with my Sims stuff, but if any of you have an account on that site, shoot me a PM at the Keep or an email (coconutsandsaltydovans@gmail.com) and I'll add you.

Epi said...

Searle definitely needed that. What a plonker.

(btw I also have a goodreads - under epistretes if you wanted to add.)

Anonymous said...

Is it bad that I kind of loved Severin here? He really cut right to the heart of the matter.

But poor broken-hearted Searle. *sigh* He will find room in his heart for baby Alina, I know he will. Like Severin said, he's got about the biggest heart in the kingdom. He'll fall in love with that baby in no time.

Besides, it's something he can do for Sparron that Sparron can't possibly object to.

Van said...

Epi: Yeah, I think he needed that :S

Added you! :)

Morgaine: Severin can certainly be to-the-point when the situation demands it.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about Searle never loving the new baby. The only character I can think of off the top of my head who might have a bigger heart is Celina.

In spite of everything, Searle probably does want to do one last thing for Sparron. This would be a good thing to choose :)

Penelope said...

Lol, Epi! "Plonker" would seem to be a pretty accurate description. I think he got off easy here. This was the stupidest thing that any of Severin's kids has done, rivaled only by Riona leaving to join the Crusades. Imagine if she had made it. Not only would she have gotten killed, but she would have put other people at risk as well.

Based on Alina's first day of life, it wouldn't surprise me if she never stopped being Sparron's daughter to Searle. He might love her but I don't know that he will ever be able to divorce this situation from that baby, which is sad. A kid can sense when they aren't as well-loved as their siblings.

And yeesch, it sounds like Searle finally got the message on the Sparron front. Poor guy, he thinks he's outright hated.

Van said...

He definitely got off easy. But then again, there's only so much you can do to "punish" your adult child :S

Yeah, Riona's escapade is probably the only thing that comes close to this (and she got off easy too). But I think that has the advantage of at least seeming like something a bored, angry 12th century teenager would actually do. This has much more of a "WTF?" quality to it :S

On the Alina front, I guess we'll have to wait and see :S Even if Searle does end up loving her as much as his other children, he'll probably always have this in the back of his mind :(

Oh, he definitely got the message :(