April 19, 2012

In Which Riona Is Told of the Lonely Fate

August 14, 1178

"Oh, no. Don't you look at me like that. I just finished lacing up again."

The baby made a quick swipe at Riona's thumb--as if that particular part was of any use to an infant--but she pulled her hand away just in time, instead delivering a quick tap on the nose. "Nice try, but you know it's nap time."

Alina kicked in protest. Shahira had been such an easy baby, never demanding and content to be left alone from the minute she was placed in her crib, but Lord have mercy on them all if Alina ever had to suffer a minute of not being the center of attention. For all she loved her daughter, it drove Riona up the wall; her father's continued gleeful inquiries as to who that reminded her of didn't help. "No buts--no more feeding until after your nap. It takes time to replenish that stuff, you know."

In place of the desired understanding, all Riona got was an annoyed cooing sound. Hopeless. Maybe Alya would whip her into shape once she got a little older, the way only big sisters could.

"Giving Mama some grief, I see?"

Riona stepped away from Alina's crib and watched as her husband stepped into the nursery. Odd. She would have expected him to be at least a couple hours more. "Done already?"

Isidro smirked. "Good to see you too, dear."

"Oh, you know what I mean." He shut the door and she met him halfway with a quick kiss to his lips. "Fish for breakfast? Really?"

"I just got in the door and you expect that I've cleaned my teeth already? You know, sometimes I miss the days when you were pretending to be a boy."

"Oh, but if I went back to doing that, you wouldn't get to do much with these," she teased as she pulled herself into him, pressing her breasts against his torso. They weren't much, but he liked to play with them all the same.

"Point taken. You win."

Well, that was a given. "I always win and you know it. Anyway, did you find it?"

"The suit of armor?"

Riona sniffed. "What else?"

"I don't know, some way to be able to touch your breasts without getting nagged about my breath?" She swatted him across the arm. Chuckling to himself, he kissed her cheek and crossed the room to their daughter's bedside. "But yes, 'Nardo and Abrich saw him. Apparently he gave Abrich a hug and wouldn't let go for ten minutes."

At least it was definite proof the thing wasn't dangerous? "Abrich always was a huggy sort."

"No one's that huggy--at least, not with other adults." And with that, Isidro reached down and lifted Alina out of the crib. "Hello, angel. I hope you missed me more than Mama did."

Riona rolled her eyes. "Izzy, I just put her down."

"Relax, I'll put her back. I just haven't seen her all morning. She's probably forgotten what I look like."

"Like anyone could forget a mug like yours, Scarface."

Shaking his head, Isidro shared a quick eye-roll with Alina. God, he could be annoying. But at least he looked cute doing it. "May you be blessed with the knack for original insults that passed your mother over." Alina gurgled. Izzy wiped her mouth with his thumb. "Oh no. Don't tell me you're hungry. You just ate, didn't you?"

"That she did." Riona shot the baby a stern look, relayed by Isidro as he returned to her feet. "Tell me more."

In her father's arms, Alina squirmed. Shrugging, he propped her into an upright position, prompting Riona to land a quick tickle on her tummy. "Not much more to tell, really. Just that he just kind of stood there all forlorn when they decided it was time to head back. Poor thing thought he was being abandoned."

"Aww. Sounds just like a lost little kid."

"Garrett said the same thing. Searle thought Abrich should have taken him home. If I'd seen him myself, I think I might have." He kissed the baby on the top of her head and sighed. "There's not much worse than being a kid with no one to love you, except maybe losing everyone who might."

"No doubt."

Riona dangled her fingers in front of Alina's and a tiny hand wrapped itself around the middle one. Even if she and Isidro died in their sleep that night, there was always her father and stepmother, her grandparents, all of her siblings, all of her nieces and nephews. Her own children were very lucky. They would never know that lonely fate.

NEXT CHAPTER:

10 comments:

Van said...

All right, my need for consistency got the better of me when I tried to update appearance counters on the profiles (seriously wanted to vomit) and I switched back to the old Blogger. At least they're better than Facebook that way. Still don't know why they'd unleash such an awful interface on the public, though >:(

Penelope said...

Wait, there was an appearance counter on the character profiles? What was it, like a widget? I'm sorry I missed that just because I would want to see exactly how broken it is. I tried to add that "latest comment" widget to DBL once, and it was all screwed up. Oh, Blogger.

Hunh. Well if the armor is possessed by a child, that would fit with his other behaviors. I think they still need Remiel to destroy the thing. I mean, what kind of existence is that for anyone, let alone a child?

Penelope said...

Have you taken a peek at what Alya and Alina look like grown up yet? I am curious about the combination of Izzy-face and Riona-face.

Anonymous said...

Those two are so funny together! :) May they keep up that witty repartee and amusing banter until both are in their graves -- and may that day be long in coming.

It is poor Farilon's soul stuck in that suit of armor, isn't it? Poor thing! And Abrich and Nardo didn't bring it back? That seems a bit ... silly. Wouldn't you want that thing somewhere you can keep an eye on it and figure out what it is?

Oh well, I guess if they need it again, they can always send Abrich and/or Lorn out to look for it (even if he is a duke) and after another ten minutes of hugging, they can bring it back.

Van said...

Pen: Nope, just a manually-updated number on everyone's individual page XD I don't know if a widget would work for that purpose anyway, since it would probably depend on the tags on this blog and sometimes I can't fit everyone in with the tag limit, plus there would be no way of specifying POV.

I had the same problem with the recent comments widget :S

The whole situation has the potential to spark some sort of ethical debate. If that turns out to be the case and it gets to be well-known, there will probably be people campaigning for its humane destruction and others trying to keep it "alive". Things might get ugly :S

But yeah, I agree with you there. That's no life for a kid.

I'm guessing you mean Shahira and
Alina? ;) I know Alya grows up fine because she was made in CAS with her biological parents. But yes, I have peeked at Shahira and Alina. Alina takes after Riona. Shahira is pretty much Girl-Izzy, only with the Kemorin nose.

Morgaine: Oh, they will be playfully insulting each other forever. Whenever one of them dies, that eulogy is going to be pretty awkward for anyone who doesn't know them well.

Heheh... I guess they figured it would be kind of like bringing home a wild animal. Abrich might not have felt equipped to care for it (not that it would have many physical needs, but it seems to require extensive emotional attention, which is probably not a job for a young, melancholy bachelor). Plus, who knows how it would react in a domestic setting? For all they know, it would feel stifled and restless.

But hey, there's always the possibility that someone else could find it... ;)

Penelope said...

*wait'n wait'n for the next chapter*

Van said...

Ack, sorry! Today was a travel day for me. BUT... I have the chapter about half finished. It should be up in a couple of hours, barring distractions.

Rachael said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pen said...

Yay! But also nooo! I have to go to sleep now. Must... wake-up early... for exercise class... (What do you want to bet I hit the alarm and roll over like the lazy slob I am?)

Then I have to go into the office. On a Saturday. Because I'm hardcore. I don't think that I'll be able to resist the call of Naroni before I go though. :D

PS: *le sigh*

Van said...

Heheh... well, if it's any consolation, the pictures are all completely safe-for-work? ;)