April 27, 2012

In Which Alsina Is Not Good

September 18, 1178

"You're not angry, are you?"

It didn't seem like an unreasonable question. Alsina's husband had never raised a hand to her, but that didn't mean he lacked a temper. After all their years together, Aldhein had come to remind her of the old tomcats that used to wander her grandfather's fields; harmless if unprovoked, maybe even friendly if you approached with caution, but not incapable of sending a girl stumbling backward with a well-timed hiss.

"No." But why was that vein on his forehead still throbbing? For all the rest of his face was set in stony stillness, that tiny bulge pulsed with an alarming ferocity. "It was an accident. And even if it wasn't, I suppose I'd hardly be blameless."

Alsina swallowed. An accident. Yes... it had been an accident, or at least she hoped that was the case. It was a more comforting thought than that of her grief-stricken heart guiding her without the checks and balances of the mind, manipulating routine actions to some nonsensical agenda of normalcy. This was hardly normal anyway. For all it might have been desirable in her darkest moments, she feared now she didn't even want it. What difference would it make? Her children were still dead. "Thank you for understanding."

He grunted, head turning toward her. Aqueous eyes swept over her and left a chill in their wake. "Are you all right?"

She nodded, not sure if it was a lie or not. She wasn't even sure if it mattered. These days, there wasn't much that did. "I'm fine."

"Good."

But for all he could say that word, that hardly made it so.

NEXT CHAPTER:

5 comments:

Van said...

Sorry about the short post. I hammered this out in like ten minutes because I didn't get a chance to work on it beforehand and now I have to go to bed soon because I have to be up early :(

In other news... apparently next month, Blogger will be forcing their positively nauseating new interface on us all. So, if future posts look like something that shot out of a turkey's anus, not my fault. I hope they at least do something about that moronic line break issue. Seriously... everything I hate about Wordpress plus everything I hate about LiveJournal, and I've been on Blogger for too damn long to make any easy switch. Gross.

Fucking new interface.

Anonymous said...

Yeesh, sorry to hear about the new interface coming your way. :( Hopefully it won't be as bad as you think?

And ... why would Aldhein be angry with Alsina? I mean, I'm guessing that she's pregnant, but it does take two to tango. Yes, Alsina considered getting pregnant again shortly after her other two died, but ... I don't know, it seems to me that it would be wiser for everybody to try to look forward to the new baby with joy. No, it won't replace the little ones they lost, but it might give them something else to focus on, something to think about, a way to heal.

Is there a reason why Aldhein didn't want another baby?

*crosses fingers for Aldhein, Alsina and the family*

Van said...

I did try the new interface with one recent post. It took a while, and I ended up editing it in the old interface later, but I did eventually get it to look more or less like the other posts. I'm mainly worried about the character profiles at this point--when I tried editing one of those, it automatically double-spaced the whole thing and it just looked disgusting :S

I don't think either of them are opposed to a new baby ever... but it's probably just way too soon for them. The kids haven't even been dead half a year yet :S

But yeah, he has no reason to be angry and he knows it. Alsina's in a pretty fragile state right now and is probably approaching everything expecting the worst :(

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... A new baby mightn't be the best thing, but at the same time I'm sure they could both look forward to loving him/her and that will bring them closer together, so I think this "angry" thing is just a phase.
And I know just what you mean about the new interface! I stress over it every time I make a post always forgetting to tag it and sometimes give it a title!

Van said...

Who knows? It may bring them closer together, even if the timing couldn't have been worse.

Yeah, I forgot to tag when I tried the new interface too, the spot being less obvious and all. There are quite a few flaws that no one seems to care about working out. I doubt Blogger's programmers are actually bloggers, otherwise they would have created a more accessible, forgiving interface.