May 31, 2011

In Which Searle Catches a Falling Star

July 5, 1174

Her color had returned since he had brought her the daffodils. She was up and awake, and at least alert enough to mind the book in front of her. That was a relief. She would likely be fit for traveling by the end of the summer, or so he hoped--err, if she was willing to travel, of course.

God, he hoped she was. "Enjoying your book?"

Her brown eyes peeked over the tome's edge and sparked at the sight of him. Hastily, she stashed the book under her pillow, then smiled. "I was wondering if you were still around."

"Of course I am." She didn't think he would have left without seeing her properly, did she? Dear God... what if she did? "So... what were you reading?"

"Oh, just an old diary of my mother's." With some difficulty, she slung her legs over the side of the bed and stood, perhaps a little wobbly. Was it the first time she'd been on her feet since she'd taken ill? He had the urge to steady her. "Nothing you'd find interesting, I'm sure--girl things."

"What, things like love?" She nodded. He found himself smirking. What the hell was this? He never smirked. "I'm not sure if you mean to compliment my masculinity or insult my sensitivity. But I think love is just a human thing."

"You know what I mean." A little shaky, Viridis took a few steps toward him and fell into his embrace. Maybe this was how it felt to catch a falling star. "It's nice to see you."

God, she was so close. He could smell a hint of a flowery perfume in her hair. Perhaps her maid had washed it recently. Or perhaps it was simply her. "Viridis? Remember how I told you I'd take you to the sea?"

For a moment, she fell limp in his arms. A brief spell of panic crossed his mind as he worried that she might have fainted, but to his great relief she took a step back and raised an eyebrow. "I thought you told me to forget."

"And I see you didn't, you naughty girl!" A faint blush warmed her face as she giggled. Why the hell couldn't he stop smiling? Not even Riona at her finest had made him so giddy. "Anyway, I had a little chat with your father and I was wondering..."

No longer so steady himself, he reached for her hand and ran his thumb along the line of her finger. Her flesh had a delicate softness to it that put rose petals to shame. "...would you still be interested in going?"

A stunned look flashed across her face, but only for a second. Her breath returned to her in the form of a steady exhale as she relaxed within his grasp, the grin on her face nothing short of glowing. "You know I'd go anywhere with you."

Of all the things he'd never thought anyone would say to him. Of all the things he'd always wished to hear. It was a simple phrase, something a young child could produce if prompted, but from her mouth it was pure poetry. Oh God. He'd spent so many years wandering aimlessly, just looking for a place in the world. He needn't have bothered. He'd had one all along.

"I love you."

Twice before in his life had he said such a thing to a girl. Riona had replied with a reciprocal, yet fearful bulge of her eyes as their father's footsteps had approached. Danthia had seen it for a trivial nicety and declared that lies didn't suit him. He'd never heard the phrase spoken in turn.

But he didn't need to. That shy smile said it all.

NEXT CHAPTER:

14 comments:

Van said...

Well, that was a productive-ish day. New Realmspeaker in the morning, brownies in the afternoon, new Naroni at night. Why do I feel like I've accomplished more than I ever do at work? :S

Anyway, question for everybody. There are a lot of characters in this story and I use their names as post tags, so I was wondering... do you think there would be any use for a tag cloud on this blog? I added one to Realmspeaker just now, just at the bottom of the blog (err, the new blog, that is--the old blog is still being digested by the Blogger Shitstorm of Weeks Prior), but that one probably isn't a good visual indication of what Naroni's would look like, since only a handful of characters have been introduced so far and only one of them has appeared more than once at this point. A better preview would be the tag cloud at the Naroni profile blog.

If I do put one up, it would probably have to be at the bottom of the blog. The sidebar is pretty cramped as it is.

Any thoughts?

Joseph said...

I'll just come out of lurkdom for a minute to tell you that I think a tag cloud would be a very good idea. I would've thought Realmspeaker was a bit too new for a tag cloud yet but that's just me. Naroni however is the right length and there are enough characters, I think.

Oh and I'm glad you haven't killed off Viridis (yet)

Van said...

Nope, haven't killed off Viridis (yet).

But it's a theoretically endless story, so everyone has to go eventually :(

Realmspeaker got the tag cloud right away so I wouldn't have to bother adding it later :P But yeah, Naroni is probably a more appropriate length for one.

Thanks Joseph :)

S.B. said...

oh god this is lovely and sweet to the point of miraculous! I absolutely adore these two together! I think it will kill her if he dumps her: the awful downside of that kind of pure love.

I'm not sure about the tags. I don't know what I would do with them. We tag our chapters but I never thought there would be any point in posting a tag cloud.

Anonymous said...

I certainly wouldn't mind a tag cloud, but on the other hand, I don't know how much I would use it ... unless I wanted to go read every post Florian was ever in ...

*thinks about that*

DO IT!!! ;)

Searle and Viridis are just so cute together! I really hope things work out well for them. And I hope you get BV so you can show them down by the sea. ;) Perhaps ... swimming? In a certain skimpy suit? *blinks innocently*

Severin, though, is going to have to do a lot of getting-used-to-this in the near future.

I just hope Searle and Viridis get a long life together! It would probably kill Searle to lose Viridis too. :(

Van said...

Beth: I don't think he has any intention of dumping her--not any time soon, at any rate. But I guess we'll have to see :S

Yeah, I don't know if I'd use the tag cloud myself, but I figured maybe someone might? I don't know, it's still up in the air at this point.

Thanks Beth :)

Morgaine: Heheheh :P

I do have that suit ;) I'm just not sure if we'll actually be seeing them at sea any time soon, since we only have a handful of posts left in 1174 and then come 1175, everyone else has to step out of the way for the Great Riona Conquest. But maybe at some point in the future? I do have BV available, just not installed (yet).

Oh, Severin's head is probably spinning right about now. He's not keen on having Searle for a son-in-law or Viridis going to live so far away. Also, more than half of his children with Alina will be all tidily married off and that means he's old! I sense a midlife crisis lurking in the wings.

Thanks Morgaine :)

Penelope said...

The first time around, I read that as "midwife crisis" and for a split second, I tried to figure out what that could possibly mean. :D :D

I guess I'm with everyone else on the cloud issue. I wouldn't mind it but I don't know how often I would use it. Although, I might get distracted and click away. We will never know until you add it to the layout.

I still find Searle creepy. Even moreso now. Viridis really is a child. Her illness has made her pretty sheltered and innocent. It's not like Fallidor (who is a good guy) and Raia (who has always been a bit wise). It's a very delicate little girl and a degenerate.

Van said...

XD

Maybe I'll give the cloud a trial run later--keep it up for a week and see if anyone uses it or something like that. Actually, what got me thinking about it is the fact that I've been clicking on quite a few of your character links recently ;)

I think Searle will always be a bit creepy. He seems like one of those people for which every single personal relationship is just a little bit too sexual. That and Viridis is pretty innocent. She's aware of the mechanical side of the facts of life, but I imagine there's been a lot of romanticizing going on in her head and maybe it doesn't occur to her that she can get hurt. I guess we'll just have to see whether or not Searle can learn to control himself.

Penelope said...

Oh dear, I almost feel like Searle should have a talk with her about his past before she agrees to anything. I don't think it would dissuade her but it only seems fair.

Van said...

In the long run, that would probably be for the best.

thewynd said...

I'm guessing that if Viridis was reading Alina's diary then she has a pretty fair idea about love. And if said diary was explicit...more than fair.

Even Searle can be redeemed I think. He has seen the error of his ways and to an extent has paid for them. I am by no means his fan but I think he can make Viridis happy. Severin on the other hand...I totally get that he will not be pleased.

That is a big tag cloud. I confess I have clicked the tags in your posts to try and find other posts...

Van said...

I think it's safe to say that that particular diary wasn't too explicit. Reading about your parents' romance is one thing, but their sexcapades? I can't imagine Viridis would have been able to smile after that XD

There aren't many fictional characters out there who are completely irredeemable. Searle's growing up a bit--he's been taking his time, but he's getting there. I think they could be good for each other if his past doesn't get in the way.

The tag cloud is monstrous. But who knows? Maybe it will serve its purpose.

Thanks Gayl :)

The Lunar Fox said...

I love how "love" seems to be a theme with this family. It's love in all it's various ways, and even Serverin is aware of it and can't resist it. Saw that a bit in the last update when he stopped Searle from saying it.

Aw, this broke my heart and at the same time I do feel better for Searle and Virdis. She deserves to experience love if she's going to die.

Though what about Tavrin? Can't he help her?

Van said...

A shocking amount of the story does seem to revolve around their various romances ;) But yeah, it seems to be Severin's weakness.

And yeah, she does deserve a chance at love.

Ah, here's the thing about Tavrin. He could help Florian because that was parasitical. He could help Searle because that was bacterial. Viridis? She just seems overly susceptible to everything and has a poor constitution overall. That's in her DNA. Tavrin can't touch it :(