May 16, 2011

In Which Ren Clings to the Thought

April 30, 1174

After a good minute of awkward starting, Ren still didn't know what to make of her mother-in-law's strange guest. His eyes were alarming and the markings on his face were bizarre and she had a sneaking suspicion that he wasn't wearing anything under that cloak. But it didn't matter. If he could help Searle, he could have been a reanimated spider corpse for all she cared.

"You is the wife, then?" His voice was an elemental overload upon her ears. It rang with the warm caress of a summer breeze and refreshing cool of dewy grass on bare feet, and yet there was an edge to it not unlike the foreboding glow of a distant wildfire. But if she looked him over one more time--sized him up, dove into his eyes--she had a hopeful feeling that there was no hostility to be found. He wanted to help. He wouldn't have come if he hadn't.

"Yes." She let her hands fall to her sides, the hard cool of her wedding band tangible even through the silk of her gown. "Can you save him?"

Behind her, Searle's uncle heaved a skeptical sigh. The heavy fabric of Elhina's cloak rustled and Ietrin moaned. Ren was only relieved that her son wasn't here, exposed to this toxic mix of cynical resignation and her own foolish shred of hope. Thank God her father had been willing to play with him in the other room. This was no place for a three-year-old boy--or anyone, for that matter.

Tavrin's ethereal eyes flickered to the bed, where Searle lay in a cold sweat, his mother hovering over him. Laralita had barely acknowledged Ren or Koradril upon her arrival; she'd just marched up to the bedside and cemented herself to the spot. Was it her right to act the doting mother after all these years of neglect? Ren wasn't sure whether to feel touched or enraged. Searle would probably be furious to learn that Ietrin had even considered bringing her here.

But if Tavrin could actually do something... did it even matter? Maybe it would to Searle, maybe in the short term. He was a proud man and he wouldn't break down in his resolute hatred of his mother, not even if she had indirectly saved his life. But he would get over it. This way, he might see Karlspan grow up. They might have a few more children, Lord willing. He might even bounce their grandchildren on his knee. Surely that--even the thought of that--was more important than his undying grudge? "Please... can you help him?"

The visitor turned back to her, his fists clenched and his brows flat. His mouth was motionless for a moment longer, but his lips opened as Searle began to toss beneath the covers. "I try, yes?"

NEXT CHAPTER:

14 comments:

Van said...

Sorry about the wait. I had to close at work last night :S

But it's fairly early in the day and I have nothing to do, so hopefully an Ashelia tonight too? ;)

thewynd said...

I know I shouldn't be commenting here until I catch up with comments on the rest but...I couldn't help it. I love how you wrote this chapter. I can feel every single thread of hope and emotion and doubt. I hope Tavrin can help if for no other reason than Searle deserves it.

Van said...

Thanks Gayl. I wasn't too sure about this chapter when I was writing it, but I'm glad you feel it worked :)

And don't worry about commenting on every post :P

S.B. said...

I don't know what to think about Laralita. I'm inclined to go with the doting/grieving mother than someone who has suddenly realized her child is dying. But she is human.

Bitterly difficult to sit in a room like that and wait for someone to die. I agree with Gayl: the tension and despair were palpable. Beautifully written.

Can Tavrin save him? I guess he must think there's some possibility or he would have just said, "No."

Van said...

I guess even Laralita has her complications. I don't blame Ren (or you!) for being wary.

Thanks Beth :)

Anonymous said...

GAAAH! And we still don't know whether he's going to be ok or not!

*gulps* And I'm willing to bet that Karlspan the Elder in the preview pic, which could be really good ... or really bad ... *bites nails*

But still, I agree with everybody else that the tension and the fear were palpable. Great job, Van.

Anonymous said...

And that was me (Morgaine). Still trying to work the kinks out of brand-shiny-new Firefox. Let's see if I can get it to work this time!

Van said...

Hope you're having fun with the new browser :)

As for whether or not Searle will be okay, we'll know pretty soon...

Oooh, good eye! That is Karlspan the Elder. He looks a lot like both Searle and Karlspan the Younger (and also, Seoth--which is of course purely coincidental XD).

Thanks Morgaine :)

(Also, sorry that your comment got stuck in my spam filter! But I rescued it, so all is well.)

Penelope said...

Strong writing, Van! I'm not a fan of this particular Searle because he is sleezy and manipulative as all get-out. I have trouble reconciling why such a sweet woman would be so in love with him. But her observations about Tavrin made me look at The Nekkid Kid of bygone days in an entirely different light.

Van said...

Thanks Pen :)

Ren and Searle were originally just a convenient match for their parents, but they grew on each other. That and I'm sure Ren's sweetness isn't her only side ;)

Nekkid Kid has really grown up, hasn't he?

Chene303 said...

Two random things first: April 30 is my little sisters birthday! and the first thing I said when the page loaded was "He's wearing a cloak!!' lol I'm crazy, I know.

Anyway: I really like hearing that description of Tavrin from Ren; I got so used to him just being there that it was odd/good to be reminded that he is supernatural and slightly mystifying.
I've said so much about Laralita in regards to her children that it feels redundant to repeat it here but; I really don't care what she's feeling or what she can do for him, she's not his mother. She decided that.

I hope Tavrin can save him!

Van said...

Heeee, it's funny when the dates coincide with real-life milestones. I sometimes purposely pick people's birthdays and whatnot for post dates :)

Glad you found Ren's impression of Tavrin refreshing. We usually see him through the eyes of people who are at least sort of used to him, and I think this was needed to remind us that's he's something a little more.

I think the only mother Searle ever had was his Aunt Eldona, who sadly is now passed away. Past the first four years of Searle's life, Laralita has been little more than a distant egg donor (although knowing her, she probably doesn't even realize it).

Thanks Chene :)

Penelope said...

So has your expansion attempt happened yet?

Van said...

Not yet, sadly. I still need to figure out how much space I need to clear and get backups in order and I should probably do a reinstall too. My prediction right now is some time in June :S