May 3, 2011

In Which Thetis Knows the Best Way

February 26, 1174

"So. My son is marrying your daughter today."

It was a strange thing to hear from one's own husband, but Thetis was relieved to hear Florian speak at all. Things were odd and awkward enough without his uncharacteristic silence, and they would only grow moreso as time marched on. She needed his ridiculous comments--today just as much as any other time.

"Indeed."

Florian's eyelids obscured the top edge of each iris. His fist clenched and relaxed with a pendulum's regularity, his seething breaths intermittent. He was not often angry--annoyed, always, and unsettled and displeased and otherwise vexed, but rarely angry. But after all these years of storing his rage, this wedding seemed to have unleashed it--in a slow, seething sort of way, but a release nonetheless. Thetis looked to her own hands, folded atop the lace of her gown. She was not angry. She didn't know what she was. "At least we can't begrudge their taste?"

Her husband glared forward in such a way that might have set the hearth alight; she was almost surprised when it didn't. "Hmm. At least we had the good sense to send Setran away."

"They aren't of that sort."

"Thetis, this is Naroni. Everyone is of that sort."

It was not a statement that would be taken back. When Florian made up his mind, he clung to his decisions--stubbornly, passionately, perhaps a little childishly. If he didn't approve now, she doubted he ever would. She just hoped that some day--whether he could approve or not--he did forgive them. "They just fell in love. It happens sometimes."

Florian grunted. "To stepsiblings."

Sure enough--stubborn as ever. One of them would have to be the adult here, and it would have to be her. At least she knew the best way to be that. "To anyone."

She scarcely glanced his way, but she reached to the side and slipped her fingers between his own. After about a minute or so, she felt a slight squeeze.

NEXT CHAPTER:

15 comments:

Van said...

Sorry about the lack of an update last night (especially just after the announcement concerning Novel-Writing Thursdays). Long story short, last night was... a sad night for my country. Thanks for understanding.

Chene303 said...

I'm kinda with Florian on this one... I know they're not technically related but they were raised as brother/sister! To each his own but it gives me the creeps! lol

Also: YAY!!! @ the preview pic! lol, I seem to only want to see their updates now... :P

Van said...

Yeah, I can see where he's coming from. But I can see where they're coming from too? I guess it's all a matter of opinion, plus the individuals in question.

Glad you like Searle and Sparron so much :) The next post will be their last for a while, though--the rest of 1174 is a bit of a grab bag, and unless I want 1175 to be ridiculously long, it's going to have to be the Year of Riona.

Anonymous said...

Florian, I hope you get over it soon ... especially when grandbabies start to enter the picture? (Because that will happen eventually. It has to. ;)) And good for Thetis for being the adult in the situation. I think she has a lot of practice with that.

And ooh, Year of Riona? Interesting, interesting. I wonder what mischief she'll be getting into now! :)

Van said...

*peeks at spreadsheet of upcoming pregnancies* Ye-ep, there will be grandbabies :)

I'm sure Florian will get over it at some point--or at least find something else to be grouchy about. In the mean time, at least he has Thetis.

Oh, Riona will absolutely dominate 1175. Most if not all posts that year will probably involve her in some way, regardless of whether or not she's actually in them. Long story short, I have a storyline for her that I'm very excited about--but it has to happen during that brief period when she's old enough to be reasonably independent and almost an adult as far as the era is concerned, but not quite an adult just yet.

So... due to the sheer number of posts needed, we will probably see a lot of Riona in 1175 and not very much of anyone else unless they're involved in her storyline. But I'm getting way ahead of myself here ;)

Chene303 said...

I'm really curious to see what you have in store for Riona next year :S

She seems like a really interesting character.

Van said...

Thanks, Chene. She does have the gears in my head grinding. I'm excited to write more about her.

That and I'm curious to see how focusing on one character for a significant amount of time would work in this story.

Chene303 said...

It would be odd to be so focused on one story line but I think it would work. We can't expect drama in every Naroni household ALL the time! lol

Van said...

Heheh... true :P

If nothing else, it will be a good experiment.

Penelope said...

Oh gosh Florian, what are you going to do about it? Disown them? You will just have to cope!

Van said...

I do think he loves them too much to disown them, so coping is all he can really do. He'll get over it.

S.B. said...

The step sibling relationship really doesn't bother me at all. I'm not all that sure that a half sibling relationship would bother me, given where and when they live.

I love the way you end this update. The quiet affection between those two is wonderful. Florian isn't happy unless he's grumpy LOL!

Van said...

It doesn't really bother me either, although given that they did grow up together I can understand why it's a bit controversial.

Florian totally isn't happy unless he's grumpy :P

Thanks Beth :)

The Lunar Fox said...

"Thetis, this is Naroni. Everyone is of that sort."

LOL! Seriously, didn't this make anyone else laugh? Just me? As always, Florian is completely Florian and verges on breaking that forth wall by taking a dig at the author.

Van, sometimes I think he's your fictional partner in crime.

But I love seeing Thetis and Florian together. Awww! What a cute couple.

Van said...

Heheheh... I wondered if anyone would catch that :P

Florian as my fictional partner in crime? I like it! It makes so much sense too :)

Thanks Lunar :)