February 16, 2015

In Which Morgan Doesn't Notice

June 25, 1189

"Mama!" Viridis sprung from her bed, her plush cat hitting the floor as Morgan approached. God, how she loved her daughter--and how her daughter loved her. She couldn't let her down. "Mama, how was your day?"

"It was good." I think. She'd made the right choice, waiting to tell Viridis first. She thought she'd known that from the start, but her daughter's eyes confirmed it now. "But I need to talk to you."

"Oh?" Viridis frowned. "Am I in trouble?"

A girl of her age would ask that! Morgan chuckled. "Of course not, sweetie.

"You see... your Uncle Lonriad has asked me to marry him."

"Oh!" Viridis strained her neck, feet raised to her toes. "What did you tell him?"

"See, that's it: I told him I'd have to check with you first."

Her daughter blinked. "Me?"

"Yes. I know I didn't give birth to you, Viridis, but I am still your mother. My first priority is what's best for you. I've grown very fond of your uncle, but if you have any objections to our marriage, or to the two of us going to live at his castle, I will listen."

"What objections?" Viridis grinned, more of her teeth visible than Morgan remembered ever seeing. Inside her chest, her heart matched her daughter's mouth. "I love Uncle Lonriad! And Alina and the others."

Thank God. "You do?"

"Yes! Please marry him!" Her daughter bounced, but caught herself just in time. "If you want to, that is."

"I do want to." Morgan scooped Viridis into her arms and twirled her about. Her little girl was getting rather big for such a gesture, but this time, she didn't notice. "I'm so glad you agree."

NEXT CHAPTER:

3 comments:

Van said...

This post may or may not have been delayed by a Lord of the Rings marathon.

Anonymous said...

No worries, mine got delayed by four days by a new game. xD

Must be weird to have their own niece as a stepdaughter. O.o'

Van said...

Hope the game was fun!

Yeah, I'd imagine it would be strange. Though, I think I recall hearing that it was common in some cultures for people to marry their siblings' widow(er)s, so I guess it would have happened every now and then. Who knows, maybe someone somewhere in the history of the world married someone who'd adopted their biological niece or nephew?

Actually, now that I think about it, this isn't a first in Naroni. Viridis's Uncle Tarien's first two wives were sisters, so the second had her two nephews for stepsons. Granted, that's kind of par for the course for the Androneis.