April 3, 2013

In Which Ashe Shelves the Complications

August 4, 1181

"Oh, for the love of whatever silly human deity you happen to worship!" Deian stared down through the narrowed slits of his cloudy eyes, nostrils like caverns from his exaggerated height. Such annoyance could not have been merited from a creature that hadn't been there one blink prior, but Ashe was in no state to be fretting about details. "You're not crying, are you? I used to find tears delicious, but they've become such a frequent sight that the very thought is cringe-inducing. I should only hope that the various artists of the next millennium won't do the same with zombies and vampires."

"I'm not crying..." A sniffle tried to argue, but Ashe managed to mute it with his sleeve. As if he needed another distraction from the rest of Deian's bizarre speech.

"Of course you are. You're still just a little girl at heart, aren't you?" Silver fingers snapped around his forearm and yanked it away from his face. The twin hand caught him by the chin and pushed it upward. "Don't take that as an insult. I'll have you know I find all human sexes equally pathetic. Now, what do you want?"

The hands released, and not in the gentlest of fashions, but stumbling backward was nothing. Not today. "It's Rona. She... she's really sick. One of your poison roses..."

"My sons are still growing those damn things?" Was that all he had to say for himself? "I can't imagine why. They're a pain in the ass to cultivate. More trouble than they're worth, if you ask me."

"I don't care if they're more trouble than they're worth! I just want you to do something about it!" There had to have been something. Deian had once handled those roses himself, back in the old days. He might have been immune, that didn't seem all that likely, not when he was technically mortal--at least, so far as Ashe had heard. Surely he must have had some sort of precaution in place... "Please. You have to help her."

"Do I?" The creature half-yawned. It would have been infuriating had the terror and woe over the thought of losing Rona left room for any other emotion. "Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to be under the impression that there's nothing you can do to me if I don't?"

"Just do the right thing for once!" Ashe dropped to his knees, half out of desperation and half of exhaustion. It wasn't negotiable. Rona could not die, as sure as the sun could not stop rising. If Rona died, it was the end of everything. Even Deian could not dismiss that. "Please!"

The creature sniffed. "You're vexingly persistent, you know that? Why are you on your knees, anyway? Do you suppose sucking my cock might convince me?"

"It's Rona! I'd do anything to convince you!"

"Of course you would. And given how frigid Ylwa has been lately, perhaps I should take you up on that." But he only grabbed Ashe by the arm again and pulled him to his feet. "But I can't imagine you're any good at that, so I'll let it slide. I will help you."

Ashe blinked, a last tear trapped in the corner of his eye. That hadn't been easy, but it still seemed... simple. Too simple. "You will?"

"Why shouldn't I? It gets me out of having to help clean the house." Deian swatted back a lock of hair in distaste. "I have an antidote. It will be a few days before she's back on her feet again, but she'll only need one dose, and I have plenty to spare. Though given your particular situation, I should warn you that there is a catch."

Ashe shook his head. "As long as she's alive and well and still herself, I don't care."

"Are you sure about that?" The creature's eyes sparked in near-glee, a sinister smile creeping beneath. "The truth is that it's a unique remedy for a powerful illness. In order to more efficiently purge the body of the toxin, the antidote will repress the mind into the depths of the subconscious."

"Not permanently, though?"

"No." Thank God. "Just until the poison is gone, just to keep the victim immobile and unoccupied so as to minimize interference with the healing process. But bear in mind that anything her conscious mind encounters in her subconscious won't be forgotten upon her awakening. You might find yourself inconvenienced by certain things she doesn't yet know she knows." The smirk widened. "Or things she doesn't yet know she thinks she knows."

"But she'll live." Ashe caught sight of Deian nodding before glancing down at his boots. Rona would live. That was all that mattered. Any complications could be dealt with later. "Just do it."

NEXT CHAPTER:

7 comments:

Van said...

My. Assignments. Are. DONE!!! :D :D :D

Not sure what this means for Naroni just yet. Most likely I'll be keeping to the usually schedule as much as possible, but since I'm going to be moving across the Rockies at the end of the month, and then I'm doing some traveling in the last couple weeks of May, and then I have a full-time job (wow, that sounds scarily close to adulthood! Help?) lined up from the beginning of June until at least the end of August, I may try to post more frequently throughout April and my freer half of May.

Ann said...

Oh wow. That went so much better and was so much easier than I anticipated. Pheeeew!
I do wonder what the consequences of this will be. I can't imagine where this might go.

Congrats (again ^^) on the assignment-completion!! *thumbs way up*
I definitely hear you on the scaryness of adulthood! It's where I am right now as well. Maybe we can help each other? ^^

Van said...

It was pretty easy. A little suspiciously so, though. :S

Thanks! I am glad to be done, though definitely freaked about the whole "holy shit, adulthood" thing. We should definitely start a support group in chat.

Anonymous said...

I agree on the "too easy" -- what is Deian playing at? Why is he helping? He doesn't have to.

Although I will admit, when I first saw Ashe and Deian in the post, I thought the price of Deian's aid would be that he changed Ashe back. That would be a tragedy. But maybe he doesn't want to go against the "good goddess," whoever she is.

Still, I have a feeling that when Rona wakes up, she'll know exactly who she's been married to. Hopefully she takes it ... quasi-well.

Van said...

Why Deian was so quick to help might be inferable over the course of the next X number of posts. ;)

I did consider going that route, actually... but I figured it would probably complicate things (er, further than necessary, that is). 1181 is a big year and 1182 is looking like it will be one as well, but aside from that, I'm hoping to get the timeline advancing more quickly soon.

Rona... well, more on that later tonight.

Winter said...

Congratulations on finishing up your assignments!

I don't trust Deian at all. Not one bit. There are other ways to get out of cleaning the house than being suspiciously nice to humans. It's always a good time when he shows up, though. (Good for reading, not always for your poor sims!)

*sigh* Poor Rona. You really weren't kidding about the worst picnic ever, were you? I wonder if there's anything else (besides Ashe's identity) that she'll suddenly know when the cloud lifts...

Van said...

Thanks! :)

I wouldn't trust Deian as far as I can throw him... and given that no one can get close enough to touch him if he doesn't allow it, I probably can't throw him at all. But I will admit that he does amuse me.

It was indeed the worst picnic ever. But at least she'll live. As for her newfound insights, we'll just have to wait and see.