April 11, 2013

In Which Ashe Is Given an Out

August 5, 1181

Ashe swallowed back his anxiety and raised a tentative arm to Rona's shoulder. Her mother had been a minute out the door when she could no longer look him in the eye, instead turning away and retreating to the room's center in a sobbing fit. She didn't shoo him away, but neither did she acknowledge his approach. Deian's warning must have had merit and for the thousandth time he wished he'd told her earlier, just whenever they'd had a moment, or whenever they hadn't, or in those odd little minutes in between--as long as he could have braced her for it. "I'm sorry."

"For what?" Her fingers dammed her tears and her arm shuddered as he touched it. It wasn't so much refusal as it was defeat. His heart spasmed and struggled against the constricting chain of thorns, each beat resulting in a fresh wound. "You're only doing what you're supposed to do, aren't you? It's not as if..."

She choked. He wanted to hold her closer but he wasn't sure if she wanted that. He wasn't sure about a lot of things. "I don't know if we're talking about the same thing."

"We probably aren't. You don't know any of it."

Then indeed, they weren't. "What's wrong, then?"

"I... I don't know how to talk to you about this!" She tipped back her head just long enough for him to catch sight of a burst tear streaming from her eye. "I don't know how to talk to you about anything! You never understand! But I can't be angry with you for it because you can't understand!"

Couldn't understand what? Not without a second's hesitation, Ashe shuffled a few inches closer. "Of course I can't understand if you don't tell me."

"Is there any point? And how would you even care? You don't even have feel--" She cut herself off with a half-forced sniffle, but enough of the word had slipped by.

"Wait... you think I don't have feelings?"

The distressed bounce of her blond curls could have been a nod, or it could have been the bout of crying. Either way it was a 'yes'. "Where would you get that from? You know I have feelings. You've seen all my feelings. Maybe a little too much of some of them."

"But they're not real!"

Ashe's heart hit another thorn and this one stuck, its sting anew with every beat. Real feelings. Why would she say that? What made a feeling real? He'd always thought a feeling existed upon being felt. "What?"

"They're just feelings you inherited from... from Aspen." Rona let her hands fall from her face, the pair of them, her lips, her lashes, all resigned to some alien state for which Ashe had no word. His fingers twitched at the sound of the name and he didn't doubt she'd noticed. "She's your template, isn't she?"

"Template?" Was that what she thought? That he was some semi-autonomous shadow, some semblance of Aspen but a far cry from the real thing? "Rona, the truth about Aspen--"

"No! Whatever you're going to say, it's not the truth!" He supposed he may have deserved that one. "Have you ever told me the truth once?"

"Yes." He dared raise a thumb to her eye and wiped aside a tear. He pulled it back when she tried to blink it away. "I tell you I love you."

He backed away, not sure what he'd do if she attacked that as well. But she just wiped her eye again, this time with the side of a fist. "Yes, well... it's just... I'm very confused. And I don't want to confuse you, if you can be confused. I--I don't even know if I should be telling you this, but you..." She swallowed. The thorny rope around his heart tightened. "You should know what you are. I guess I can't hurt you anyway, can I?"

If that was the case, he wanted to ask her what she thought she was doing right now. "I'm sorry I lied to you. And whatever I did to make you believe what you're saying, I'm sorry about that too. I didn't want to confuse you, I just..." I wasn't ready. I was still coming to terms with it myself. I didn't want you to think I was a freak. There were too many things he could have said, and not enough. "I was with you. You make the rest of the world seem like nothing. Even the truth didn't matter when I was with you."

"But it does."

So it did. He'd denied that for far too long. "You're right. Look, Rona... I'm not some kind of duplicate of Aspen, or some sort of proxy for her if that's what you think. The truth is, Aspen and I are..." He stared down to the toes of his boots. Aspen had hardly been the prototype of femininity, but she'd had such dainty, delicate feet. His own were so large and clunky and useless. "...sort of the same person."

He didn't need to look up to know Rona was looking him over. "'Sort of'?"

"Well... not 'sort of'. Really." He wished she'd say something. He almost didn't care what. "I'm sorry that I didn't tell you before. I didn't think you'd believe me, or you wouldn't react well if you did, or--"

Or what. He'd finally dared look up and she was as still and eerily silent as he'd ever seen her. "...That's what you actually believe, isn't it?"

Another thorn broke from the chain. "I was there..."

"Were you?" Why did she keep doing this? How much did she have to hurt him before she realized she actually could? "What if you just picked up where Aspen left off and never knew the difference?"

"That's not what happened. I'd swear it on... on anything. Everything!" But what difference would that make? Everything felt like nothing. Except something. "On my love for you, even."

"Ashe..." She didn't have to say it. Her tear-ridden eyes did the talking for her.

And whoever pulled the strings of thorns around his heart yanked in every direction, leaving nothing but messy chunks of bloody muscle. "You don't think I really love you, do you?"

"It's not your fault, but..." It seemed like hours before she finally finished. "...you're not a real person, Ashe. You can't love."

So came about the destruction of his entire life, dismissed and rejected in three small words any child knew. He wished she was right. He wished he was just some soulless proxy, some stand-in for the real Aspen, who'd loved strongly enough to will him into being but not so much as to grant him those feelings for his own.

Had he been just that, he never would have felt a thing.

"How could you say that?"

"I'm sorry! I just thought it would be better if--" She stopped. She stared at him again. He would have rather looked anywhere else but he kept looking back at her. He watched as her eyes widened, her lips fell open, a frightened breath near visible as it left her. As something inside her mind finally clicked. "...You're hurt."

Finally! "Do you think?"

Now he was the one on the verge of crying. She caught sight of it and approached, catching a few tears on the cuff of her lacy sleeve. "I'm sorry."

He took to drying his other eye. She was gentle again, at least outwardly, but something in her touch still carried a restraint reserved for wild animals. If she thought him a monster, then it was like one that he felt. It was the last thing he'd ever thought she'd make him feel. "Do you believe me now?"

Rona sighed. "I don't know."

"Then what will it take to convince you?"

"You don't need to convince me. I need to convince myself." Poor darling. She'd never mastered that in the positive sense, not that he was any better. Maybe that was why she thought he didn't love her. She didn't believe anyone could. "And... maybe that would be easier if you went away for a while."

Whatever remained of his heart fell a little deeper. He'd vowed to never leave her again and he didn't want to break that promise. But if space was what she needed, who was he to deny her that? "Where should I go?"

"Are Riona and Isidro still here?"

He nodded.

"Then go with them when they leave. It's safer to travel in numbers anyway. I don't want you to be alone."

He could do that. If nothing else, he'd cling to those last words as some sign of care. "All right."

"Will Lonriad mind if you stay with him and Asalaye until you leave?"

He shook his head. "He's going with Riona anyway."

"Good." She tugged at her sleeve where she'd wiped away his tears, as if their very essence made her skin crawl. "Ashe?"

"Yes?"

"I want my key back."

Her key. After all these years, he'd just stopped feeling the form of it, his body taking its presence for granted. He was all too aware of it now. "But I told you I'd--"

"I know. I'm giving you an out." She reached to the back of his neck and fiddled with the clasp of the chain. "It's probably not all that comfortable anyway."

But as she pulled it away, he was naked as he was that morning on the banks of the pond. "Rona..."

"I'm sorry. But I need this. And I think you need it too." The key disappeared into her clenched left fist. He wondered if he'd ever see it again.

"I'll start packing, then."

She nodded. "You'd best."

She'd made it perfectly clear that she didn't care to say another word, or to hear another out of him. If he could live with leaving, though, then he couldn't live with that. I'll start packing, then. Those could not be his last words to her. "Rona?"

She looked up from the hand with the key. He took hold of the other and raised it, as he had just before the start of the tournament. "Do you mind if I...?"

She sniffed. "I don't see the harm in it..."

He lowered his lips to the soft skin of her knuckles. It would have been so easy to linger, to hope time would stop, to keep kissing her hand until Death himself intervened. The most difficult thing in the world was to let go.

But she wouldn't have it any other way, and so it was the briefest kiss he'd ever given her.

NEXT CHAPTER:

11 comments:

Van said...

This was one of those posts that just didn't want to be written. And now I have to go to bed because I have a review session in the morning.

*sigh*

Ann said...

Oh gosh, talk about having your heart torn out and ripped into shreds while you are watching helplessly. Poor poor Ashe!
And poor Rona too, for being made to be so cruel by her insecurities.
I hope the preview picture presages an extensive therapeutic session with two of Naroni's most level-headed ladies. Rona really really needs to face her insecurities and overcome them!

I am however kind of glad that Ashe wil be along on the trip too. Rona's got that much right: It is safer to travel in numbers.

Here's hoping that by the time he comes back Rona will have sorted herself out!

Anonymous said...

RONA! ASHE!! ARGH!!

This was painful (in a good way) to read -- watching Rona tear Ashe apart and watching Ashe tear himself apart. He should have told her sooner. He really should have told her sooner. But then again ... ugh. Rona was just so cruel to him here, even if she didn't think she was being cruel. *sigh*

I just hope that whatever Rona remembers from her time in her own subconscious (which, while Deian said she'd remember it, I don't think that necessarily means she'd remember it perfectly -- just normally), she remembers that Aspen said, "I'm the embodiment of truth as you understand it [emphasis added]." It doesn't mean that what Aspen said was real or true, just that Rona thinks it is. If Rona can begin to understand that, then Rona can begin to realize that Ashe truly does love her.

*sigh* At least Ashe will be going with Izzy, Riona, and Lonriad. They can keep an eye on him. Otherwise, I'd be afraid that Ashe would be throwing himself into the sex pond and not coming back up again.

Van said...

Ann: Between the both of them, I don't think this talk could have possibly played out much better. :S

Rona could use a good therapy session, but... I doubt it will be with Leara and Raia. Not that she doesn't like or trust them (she and Leara are quite close; I don't know about her relationship with Raia, but I can't imagine there's any outright dislike), but I don't think she'll be wanting to let any more people know about this than necessary. I guess that leaves Celina in the camp of people who already know, what with Lonriad leaving the country.

Yeah, four is a better travelling number than three. I mean, if they were in a Tales game, they'd have enough for a full fighting party now.

It's a fairly lengthy trip so who knows? Rona will have plenty of time to think things over.

Morgaine: Oh, he really should have told her sooner. But yeah, he didn't deserve this, even if she didn't think it mattered.

I'm guessing she doesn't remember everything perfectly either, but there's a chance that that one line will jump back to her at some point, especially since she'll likely be in the mindset of picking apart everything to the bare bones.

Yes, Ashe will have plenty of people to keep an eye on him. He could very well do something drastic if that wasn't the case. I'm guessing it's not going to be a very fun trip for the Kemorin siblings, what with Riona fretting over Izzy and Lonriad probably doing the same for Ashe. :S

Ann said...

It just occured to me in reading your response, that even with all... this... Rona STILL does not have the whole story. And I really really hope that doesn't prove to be a stumbling block! ~~

Van said...

Indeed, she does not. :S But maybe she can piece some of it together while she's thinking it over, and if not, Celina can always fill her in now that Ashe has gotten the big part out of the way.

Emma said...

You know, I've been a lurker around here for quite some time and I intented to leave one big comment should I ever reach the most recent post but upon reading this I actually started to feel like my own heart was torn apart. All through this story arc I was feeling always a little bit more with Ashe than with Rona but this time both broke my heart.

Anyway, I just wanted to tell you that I love your writing and it amazes me how diffrent your characters are and how many arcs you can fit into this story. I like to write myself but I only ever share it with some friends since my characters have the tendency to all end up very similiar.
Again, I hope you keep up with your awesome work and let those two eventually have their personal happy end because I couldn't stand seeing them apart for good...

A lurking fan :D

Van said...

Hi, Emma! Welcome. :)

And thank you! You know, all these years later and I'm still amazed--and flattered!--that so many people have and do enjoy Naroni, past and present. It's both humbling and inspiring at once, and the reader feedback has been great for my writing as a whole (I have a few things that I'm working on with the hope of eventually making money off of them; Naroni is my fun, recreational writing that doesn't force me into perfectionism, but it's excellent practice and I love that it's given enjoyment to more people than just me). All in all, writing this story is quite the experience, and I'm glad you're enjoying the ride so far. :)

Don't worry too much about your characters being too similar. A lot of successful published writers tend to stick with similar character archetypes, which sort of makes sense because the natural tendency for many writers is to write characters that they personally can relate with. And, ultimately, it's a habit that can be broken with practice. The first incarnations of some Naroni characters (mostly the founders and certain kids, plus a few founder siblings like Holladrin and Ovrean) appeared in a truly awful manuscript I wrote back in 2003/2004, and of the forty or so plot-contributing characters, all of them fit into maybe four or five basic personality types, to the point where some probably read as the same character in different bodies. I'm relieved that I've been able to do them more justice this time around, but it took some time to get over that hurdle. Just keep on writing, and in time, I'm sure you'll find that your characters have become more distinct.

As for the arcs, well... Naroni is more about the passage of time than anything else, so the format lends itself to arc after arc after arc (or arc during arc during arc). I don't know if anyone could or even should try to fit so many arcs into, say, a novel. XD

As for Rona and Ashe... yeah, I think most readers find Ashe to be more sympathetic than Rona. It may be because most of the main conflict is seen from his point of view, or it may be that he has the more accessible personality, or that he stands to lose more should he and Rona fall apart. Whatever the reason, he has proven himself to be one of the story's tragic figures at this point in his life, though it's not impossible that things will improve and he can get to the end of his days having been mostly happy. Rona, while a little less in touch with the readers, is also a tragic figure in her own right, largely because her self-esteem is so cripplingly low that she struggles to believe anything but the worst.

Thanks again for your comment! Enjoy the rest of the story, and best of luck with your own writing! :)

Emma said...

Hey :)

Thanks for you replay. i figured I would go back and look at this post again once I caught up with the story and today is the day ^^

And thanks for your view on character writing. You're probably right about your characters fitting into types but to me as a reader they just feel so different. Which I like. A lot. :D

I'll definetly keep on writing. But currently I'm trying myself on some Poetry Slam so... Afterwards I'm going to go back to story writing. I'm currently a little bit out of ideas so I thought I might just write some stories about my sims. Just for practice. If it ivolves into more I might post about it. Oh, I just have to wait and see ^^

What I meant about the arcs was the... variety? Even if it's the same (like an arranged marriage or whatever) it simply has a unique touch and I like that :D
And I like that you can be cruel to your characters(that sounds wrong...). I mean I really hat to lern that. Like I was writing some silly lovestory a couple of years ago and there were five happy couples and I finally got over myself and had one of them break up... And I turn on my computer, go visit Naroni and read about Rina?Rona?Rana? (Felron Flatpant's daughter? The one Severin The-Son-Of-Florian-If-I-Remeber-Correctly went and got the horse for?!) and... well... I have no idea if my point got across or not. I'm a liitle bit sleep deprivated. Enough babbling.

What I really meant to say: Damn, i adore your story :D

Emma said...

Embarrasing typos are embarrasing.

Van said...

Yay! Congrats on getting caught up. :)

Poetry slam! I went to university with a lot of poets, and they were all pretty big on slam. That should be a good experience.

(And yeah--Sims are always good for practice/inspiration. A lot of Sims writers will take something that happens when free will is on and make a whole story out of it. Personally, I'm too much of a control freak to do much with free will on, but other people have done wonders with it. If you do end up posting, let me know, because I'd like to read it! :) )

Thanks! I do try to make each arc a little different, even if some of them are along similar lines. I'm glad it's working for you. :)

Heh... well, I can put my characters through rough stuff, but most of them will get some form of happy ending eventually, unless they're villains and/or doomed to an unfortunate death. It's tough to be mean! But there are bright spots in Rina's future yet.

Ack, typos! I find them in the story all the time, to be honest--which can be a problem because I browse in Chrome, but I have to post/edit in Firefox because Blogger hates Chrome for some reason. So a lot of them get forgotten until rediscovery. :S