February 19, 2012

In Which Xeta's Inquiry Is Mirrored

February 7, 1178

Xeta had always been more of an academic than an athlete, but her girlhood dancing teachers had always praised her for being light of foot and a consistent record of sneaking successes had led her to believe them. But knowing Laveria's keen senses, she might as well have been traipsing around in a pair of iron boots. "How is he?"

Laveria glanced back at the young man and breathed a funny sort of breath, one she didn't breathe often. Xeta had only ever heard it once, when death came to court her precious baby boy and he was nearly too late in refusing it. February was cool enough, but that sniff shot her back to December. "Remiel took most of his essence. I gave him enough of my own to stabilize him, but it's old and stale and any more would do more harm than good. It's a waiting game for now."

Off to the side, Vera sobbed while Nora held back her hair and whispered all those usual assurances that were never assuring at all. Xeta doubted Vera could hear her in any case. She still couldn't remember anyone saying a word to her while Dalston lay fighting for life. "Poor boy."

"Mmm." Lucien tossed and Laveria peeked over, concerned. It was either a sign of life or he was wasting what little energy remained; Xeta couldn't tell and didn't care to guess. "He didn't get to any of the other children?"

Xeta shook her head. She'd woken each of them, something she never did at this hour. If Remiel had touched them, getting them back to sleep wouldn't have been such a struggle. "They're all fine."

"Good." Laveria sighed as Lucien stirred again. Xeta supposed it was safer to assume that was a cause for alarm. "Remiel's locked up in the dungeons with a couple of guards on him. Severin's in conference with Renolt and the captain; there'll be an interrogation before dawn, mark my words."

Vera choked again. Nora rubbed her on the shoulder and glanced up at Laveria. "If he knows if there's a way to help Lucien, is there any chance he'd tell us?"

She already knew the answer--Xeta could hear it in her voice--but she'd asked for Vera's sake. It was a small kindness, but it was something. Laveria answered in a similar vein. "Given what I know about this sort of illness, a better course of action would be to search his old chambers at Armion. He left the country in a hurry; there might still be a stash of Lucien's essence there."

"And his own essence would be preferable to anyone else's."

"If there even is anyone else."

Vera started to say something, but cut herself off another wail. Xeta looked at Nora, whose eyes flitted to the door; Laveria nodded. "Take her to your bed and give her some warm milk with honey. Severin can sleep on the couch if he can sleep at all."

Solemn, Nora paid Lucien one last look and ushered Vera to the door. Back by the bed, Laveria closed her eyes. "Xeta, I want you to go to Severin and tell him what I said about Remiel's old rooms. Don't worry about interrupting them--just make sure he knows. Then come back here to confirm, just for my peace of mind."

Xeta nodded, but remained until the door had swung shut behind the other two. She had a question that couldn't be worded in a way Vera could stand to hear. "Will it really work?"

Once again, answer mirrored inquiry. "I'm not in the miracle business. I only make a point to do everything I can."

NEXT CHAPTER:

9 comments:

Van said...

Still haven't found any alternative family tree sites. There are a ton of them out there, but a lot of them charge and they all seem to be meant as global databases and I just don't know if any of them will lend themselves to semi-private records of fictional characters :(

Spent all afternoon trying to do something in Blogger and it blew up in my face. Might just have to cut my losses and merge some family tree functions into the character profiles.

*sigh*

One day down and my reading week is already depressing...

thewynd said...

I hope Lucien pulls out of this. Poor Vera - I wonder if she was next on Remiel's list of victims.

I wish I had a better suggestion for the family trees. Something that didn't cost money. Hope you find something soon.

Anonymous said...

Oh, poor Lucien!! And Vera. ... I wonder if some of her life essence would work? Since they're both gifted and all?

I also liked Xeta and Laveria's exchange. These two seem to be on a very similar wavelength.

Sorry to hear about your family tree troubles, Van. Best of luck in getting them figured out!

Penelope said...

I have a hunch about where this one is going but I think I'll just wait and see. *sprinkles storytelling dust*

Sorry about your tree, Van. :\ *giggles* Maybe just tell Severin and his offspring to keep their legs together for technology's sake!

Van said...

Gayl: Vera being next is probably a good guess :S

Thanks Gayl :) I'm sure there's something free out there that could work; I just haven't found it yet.

Morgaine: Interesting thought about Vera. She doesn't have much to share, though, since she's only a quarter. Plus I can't imagine she knows how to transfer it :S

Laveria kind of has a way of saying things without saying them. She can really make people understand. Seems like Xeta is particularly receptive.

Thanks Morgaine :)

Pen: There are a few ways this could go. I haven't quite decided which I'm going to take, but I guess I'm going to have to fairly soon XD

XD Oh, that would probably help, but they're far from the only problem. Falidor's daughter Riala is about to pop with her second kid (which was apparently conceived like a week after her first was born), Florian's got a second grandchild on the way, Severin's brother apparently got drunk enough to bone his ugly wife again, Alina's youngest brother finally knocked up his wife (I've never written about him but I strongly suspect he's gay), Rona's due to get pregnant mere days from now and from the looks of it a lot of the other ladies are slated to conceive in '78, not all of whom are children or children-in-law of Severin. :S :S :S

Some travelling salesman needs to come to Naroni with the most miraculous Medieval birth control ever.

Epi said...

Medieval birth controls were really quite disgusting and/or painful sounding. I had to research them a couple of years back. Yeuch.

Have you tried Family Echo? I know for a fact you can get *loads* of names on there from an old fictional family tree I did for a project. I never did count the complete number of names, though.

It isn't as well done as tribalpages and there are glitches that irritated me, but it might be worth a go?

Van said...

I can't imagine there were many that were all that pleasant :S

I've got Family Echo on the consideration list. It looks like a good site and it might be worth ago, but I do have concerns with the largely visual format plus the sheer size of the Naroni tree :S

Thanks Epi :)

Epi said...

The thing that turned me off was that you cannot see anywhere near as many names as tribal pages in the links and that it is occasionally very hard to link existing characters to other existing characters.

Van said...

Yeah, those would be some definite downsides. It also looks less readily searchable :S