February 14, 2012

In Which Rona Is Sparked and Sparked Again

January 5, 1178

Jadin blinked and Isidro's brow knotted. Bernardo took one step into the room and stopped to gape. "Uh, Rona?" Her brother-in-law twisted his mouth into a grimace as he searched for the right words. "Aren't you supposed to be naked?"

Hmph. She'd be sure to tell her sister he'd sounded disappointed--whenever her sister sobered up, at any rate. "They were all pretty drunk."

"And they just left you here?"

Not sure what else she had, Rona offered an apologetic shrug. "I guess they forgot what they were supposed to be doing?"

Frowning, Isidro glanced down at the still-made bed and shook his head. "Shouldn't have believed her when she said she'd go easy on the liquor."

"What's the matter?"


Bernardo stepped aside to make way for Ashe. Embarrassed, Rona tried to smile but barely managed a flash of her teeth. Her husband--God, that was a strange thought--glanced her over and returned it with a warmer grin. Not that she could have expected any less, she supposed. Ashe didn't do cold. "I take it the ladies were a bit...?"

Jadin snickered. "Wasted? Sounds like it. On the plus side, I guess we're all getting laid tonight."

Isidro groaned. "Do you ever have any thoughts that don't somehow involve your penis?"

"Please don't answer that." A little annoyed, Jadin's open mouth shut. Ashe shot Rona an uneasy wink before changing the subject. "Uh... is Electra still awake, by any chance?"

If her presence at the banquet had been any indication, Rona doubted Electra could find the laces even if she was. "She didn't pick the best night to try wine."

His men exchanged a few strained looks; Ashe himself, however, just stepped forward and gestured toward the door. "It's all right. You three get back to your wives; from the sounds of it, they'll be needing you to hold back their hair pretty soon."

Isidro's eyes narrowed and Bernardo's face scrunched, but neither argued--Isidro even grabbed Jadin by the arm and dragged him along with them. All six boots now safely in the other room, Bernardo shut the door; Rona and her bridegroom were alone.

"You're so beautiful." He rested one hand on her arm and slipped the other around her side and to her back, fingers running along her spine. "I know I've said it a dozen times today, but... God."

"Mmm." She supposed she ought to tell him how handsome he looked, but she already had; they hadn't both avoided the fear of redundancy. Or maybe that wasn't what she feared at all. "What are you doing?"

"Looking for the laces."

"So you're my maid for the night, then?" He gave a nervous sort of laugh, then ushered her further into the room where the light was a little better. "Better you than Jadin, I suppose."

"I'll say." He fished out the start of the concealed lace from the back of the lining and pressed a swift kiss to her neck, one of many places she'd never been kissed before. His lips left a spark as a souvenir and it shot through the rest of her flesh; she wondered where else he might kiss her tonight. "Do you think you could get your hair while I take care of your dress?"

Nodding, Rona removed the blossoms from their blond bounds, letting them fall to the floor as she undid the knot. Hair rained down in front of her face but missed Ashe's fingers by a good few inches; they had taken to the laces as ducklings to the pond--gentle, efficient, even practiced. "Are you sure you've never done this before?"

"Uh... beginner's luck?" He sounded sheepish. She didn't need to turn around to see his hesitant smile. "Done. I'm going to let it fall now--is that all right?"

She nodded and he did as he'd promised. The gown slipped down her form and cascaded to a silken pool around her ankles. It was done. Her wedding day was over and her wedding night would soon begin. She'd never wear that dress again. Perhaps some years down the road it would relive its day of glory on the body of her freckly, green-eyed daughter.

"Is it wicked of me to say you're even prettier naked?"

Relieved that he hadn't noticed just how fat she was without any fabric to hold it all in, Rona giggled. "A little--but I can't say I mind."

She stepped forward from the discarded dress and he picked it up with a cautious grip, shaking it out and folding it as he made his way toward the dresser. How many men folded clothes? Ashe did, apparently. He even seemed to know how to deal with such gowns. "Really--you swear you've never done this before?"

Ashe laughed as he placed the dress in the drawer, continuing to do so as he pulled his tunic over his head. "All right, you caught me--I was once lady's maid to the most brilliant, ravishing, altogether enchanting noblewoman in all of Europe."

A small smile coming on, Rona stifled a snort. "You're such a liar."

Still chuckling, Ashe kicked off his boots and proceeded to the hosen. Whatever modesty Rona had left compelled her to focus on his lightly-toned torso. She would look upon his lower half before the night was up, but with all the fuss of such a hasty wedding she hadn't had much time to brace herself for the sight. For now, the upper was more than sufficient. "Nice biceps."

"What can I say? I aim to impress." And yet, she thought she caught a hint of a blush. He laid his clothes to rest in the drawer and returned to her. She'd seen grown men's chests before--overheated workers did like to take their shirts off, and any woman was bound to walk past construction every once in a while--but never up close. The sculpted detail was nothing short of art, each groove and indent a precise highlight. "Are you nervous?"

"A little," Rona admitted, though in truth it was a slight understatement. "Are you?"

"Honestly? Terrified." He flashed her a twitch of a grin as his arm wove beneath hers one more. She worried that he might be aiming for her ass, but his fingertips instead landed on the small of her back. The spark from the neck-kiss surged once again. "But the good sort of terrified. I love you, Rona. I love you, and you're all I've ever wanted and more."

Rona didn't know much about love. How to answer that was no exception.

Not wanting to say nothing, she wrapped her arms around him and pulled herself against him. He kissed her forehead and she distracted herself with the sight of his neck. "You're not quite naked. You're still wearing my key."

He slipped his hands beneath her thighs and lifted her to eye-level, nose to nose, mouth to mouth. "Told you I'd never take it off."

NEXT CHAPTER:

11 comments:

Van said...

Next post only has like six pictures and it was still the biggest bitch of a photoshoot I've had to put up with in quite some time >:(

This one on the other hand went off with out a hitch :)

Anonymous said...

*deep breath* SQUEE!

They are so cute together! Happy wedding day, Ashe and Rona! (Also, Jadin. Not something to say to your wife's sister on her wedding day.)

YAY!

Penelope said...

Such a squee-worthy post! SQUEE!! You had me worried at the end there when Ashe started to go into his "I have always loved you" bit. I was expecting Rona to get weirded out about his tense. She doesn't often seem to suspect that there's anything strange about Ashe.

Wait... Isn't Riona still pregnant? And hitting the bottle?? Or did I block that birth from my memory parts? :O

Oh dear, now I AM curious about the next chapter. I assume a fight scene. *shakes head* There are no decent animations for that.

Van said...

Morgaine: Jadin would not be Jadin if he didn't say the most inappropriate things XD

I'd been looking forward to writing this post for a while now :)

Pen: Rona has noticed a few strange things about Ashe, but nothing quite strange enough to be brow-raising. Um, yet :S

But even if/when that does happen, concluding the truth would be quite the leap.

Oh, Riona is a still pregnant :S But I needed a stupid reason for her and Xeta and Hilla to have left--and while no alcohol during pregnancy is practically common sense nowadays, I doubt there was much knowledge or even speculation about it being a bad idea in 1177. I know there have also been a few pregnant ladies taking in their wine in Lothere, although that is admittedly a century earlier.

Riona is seven months along. So while we here in Readerland know it's a terrible idea for her to be drinking just now, at least she's not in the first trimester when more things are likely to go wrong? In any case, 1178 is shaping up to be kind of a hectic year, so for the sake of moving things along the baby will be fine.

The next chapter was supposed to be sort of akin to a fight scene... but since there were almost no appropriate animations and not one of the Sims were cooperating, it had to be downgraded to something much less exciting. Experimental prose may be required :S

Thanks guys :D

Penelope said...

Ha! Oh yeah, I never imagined that she would look at him one day and ask, "Aspen, what did it feel like when you grew your downstairs mix-up?" But if that were me, I would have had some serious questions about his identity, his life, his parents, where he was from, has he been stalking me, what he was doing at the sex pond with only a pile women's clothing, why he knows things about me that a stranger would not, does he wear gowns, why he was so immediately taken with me, is he a stalker, why did Aspen never mention that she had any family, why did I suddenly stop getting mystery roses on my birthday when you showed up and you are definitely into dressing like a lady, aren't you??

Penelope said...

Oh! Other than that, I get the feeling that Ashe wants to tell her the truth. He alludes to the truth often enough. It seems like if he could say that he was Aspen, he would.

Van said...

The allusions to the truth are more me having fun than anything else XD

But yeah, I think some part of him would want to tell her if he didn't think it was a terrible idea.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happpy :D
Babiees on the waaayaaay!!!
:P
Honestly, that's all I care about now xD
But I couldn't help but feel a little bad for Rona, not knowing who he really is, and about to do the deed that would/will seal them together forever, I wonder if Ashe is feeling guilty at all? :/
But anyway, BABIES!!

Van said...

I figured you'd be excited XD

February is Vera/Lucien/Remiel/Laveria/Severin Month, but I have an Ashe POV slated for early March... so we'll get to see what he's thinking now that things with Rona are definitely a go and have indeed already been set in motion. But I would be surprised if he wasn't feeling just a little bad about the whole thing.

Babies? I guess we'll have to wait and see...

S.B. said...

oh my god I love that final line, it's one of the most romantic things I've ever read.

As is this entire piece.

Van said...

Aww, thanks Beth :)