February 25, 2012

In Which Nora and Laveria Disagree on Sense

February 15, 1178

"Good to see that Vera recovered so quickly, at least," muttered Laveria. Her mother-in-law was only speaking to fill the void, Nora was sure of it, but she didn't particularly mind. She wasn't fond of voids either. "I still think it was damn foolish of her if she knew what she was doing, though--and even more damn foolish if she wasn't."

Not sure she agreed, Nora pushed back one of the logs and watched it roll to the back of the hearth. "She cares for him."

"I've cared for men before. Wouldn't have done that for any of them."

It probably wasn't tactful to suggest that had something to do with Remiel. "She's young. Let her be."

"Oh, I will--just here I was, thinking she was one of the few grandchildren I have with an ounce of sense." Laveria sighed, but out of the corner of her eye Nora thought she saw a small grin. "Here's hoping the young ones grow up with their heads on straight."

"Mmm." Privately, Nora thought that her stepchildren had more sense than their grandmother gave them credit for--at least, most of the time--but it wasn't a good idea to argue with a wise woman while there was a comatose patient in the room. She set down the poker and stepped around to the other side of the bed, eyes never leaving Lucien. "How much longer, do you think?"

"Until he wakes?"

She nodded.

"Not long now." Smiling, Laveria leaned in to stroke back Lucien's hair. "He's more of a fighter than he thinks he is, this one. He'll be just fine."

It hadn't been the first time Laveria had said that in the past couple of days, but it was still a relief to hear it. "For all you think Vera lacks sense, you have to admit she knows how to pick them."

Laveria chuckled. "Severin's girls all do. Well, except maybe Virid--"

"Vera?"

Startled, Nora steadied herself with a hand to the bedside table. On the other side, Laveria sprung to her feet.

"Well, I'll be damned! I would have thought at least another day or two!"

Lucien's hand reached up from under the blankets and rubbed his eye. Nora smirked. Perhaps Vera's interference had helped more than Laveria cared to admit. "Vera..."

His voice trailed off into a yawn as Nora and her mother-in-law exchanged relieved smiles. Vera would be over the moon, no doubt--even if she did take a while to forgive her grandmother for chasing her out an hour prior. Was it too early to run and get her? No, it was probably better to wait a few minutes, just in case; no sense getting her hopes up if it was only sleep talk.

Still... "Lucien? Can you hear me?"

"Mmm..." His lashes fluttering, Lucien pushed back the blanket and propped himself slightly on his elbows. He blinked.

Laveria squinted. "What the...?"

His eyes widened, shocked beyond belief but otherwise inscrutable. Nora had no doubt that her own had done the same.

NEXT CHAPTER:

10 comments:

Van said...

I figured it would be best if this post and the next ran back-to-back?

Anonymous said...

Hm, Nora is probably right, though Laveria probably has more experience in these things...
Oh my.... Vera is going to be so happy! And Lucien too! He finally gets to see what Vera looks like!! Eeeeep!
And yes, I agree, on the back-to-back part.

Van said...

It's a bit hard to say. In terms of the story Laveria does have more experience than almost anyone in almost any regard, but she is also pretty jaded. Not that there aren't advantages to being a cynic, but it does make it a little too easy to assume the worst.

This post and the next run right together. In fact, I probably should have shot the pictures in a single session :S

Ann said...

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!! *does crazy bunny dance*

Oh this is fabulous! I'm so happy he's awake again and got his eyesight back to boot!! And what pretty eyes he has too!

Love Vera's expression in the preview picture! XD

Epi said...

His eyes! Well done, Vera.

Interested by Laveria's stance on Viridis, though. I wonder how much she knows about Searle.

Penelope said...

Lucien is so much better looking with eyeballs.

It probably wasn't tactful to suggest that had something to do Remiel. I think you're missing a "with" there. Can I has karma?

Anonymous said...

Lucien can SEE? IT'S A MIRACLE!!!

And I hope Remiel knows and is tearing his hair out down there. However, he probably would just shrug it off or do something equally infuriating. That is Remiel.

I, however, disagree with Laveria -- Severin's girls do have a good amount of sense between them. Raia has her head on straight and then some, and Viridis, choice in Searle aside, is pretty sensible. So is Vera. It's Riona whom you have to worry about on the sense angle. (Good thing she married Izzy, who has more than enough sense for both of them.)

As for the boys, well, Lonriad is pretty sensible -- and I think Jadin might be too, if he had to be. Hey, he was smart enough to pick Xeta!

Still, yayness! for Vera and Lucien!

Van said...

Ann: He does have nice eyes, doesn't he? ;)

Epi: I doubt Laveria knows as much about Searle as Severin does, but she can probably sense that he doesn't fully approve and that would raise suspicion--since this is Severin we're talking about and all ;)

Pen: I actually thought he was better looking before, but maybe it just takes some getting used to? :P

Good catch! *gives karma*

Morgaine: Yeah, I can't imagine Remiel will be all that fussed. He probably figures if he escapes, he can always blind Lucien again after he kidnaps him :S

Yeah, Riona pretty much drags the average down on the girl front XD And I think Jadin and Lonriad both have more sense than they're willing to show. Searle doesn't have the sense to fill an eggcup :S

Thanks guys! :)

Chene said...

I knew you would give him his eye sight back and to be honest I wish you hadn't. Not because I WANTED him to be blind or anything but just because i don't like that all the problems are getting solved. (okay not ALL the problems but you know what i mean)
Also it was kind of his thing. He's blind. Nothing wrong with that.
idk, I just feel it's so convenient.
Now that I've been all critical of your story choices let me say this is one of a very few things i have ever thought should be different and the others i never even bothered mentioning so they don't really matter now do they? lol You're a great writer, this is just a pet peeve of mine.

Van said...

No worries! I'm fine with constructive criticism.

Yeah, there have been a few times I've wondered if certain developments were too convenient, but I guess I just like ribbons and bows. I'm fine with my characters suffering for a while, but unless they're of the villainous persuasion (and sometimes not even then!), I do like to make things up to them eventually. Probably because real life is so awful and it's so rare to see things turn out well for people outside of stories.

With Lucien... honestly, if Naroni took place in 2014, I probably would have kept him blind, because accessibility is at the point where pretty much the only thing a blind person can't do is see. But I want to do more with his character eventually, and some of what I need him to do requires either sight or innovations that won't be around for a few centuries yet. :S

Out of curiosity, what were some of the other things? There will be no hurt feelings, I promise.