October 29, 2011

In Which Nanalie Sees What Talk Is Worth

October 16, 1176

If someone had told Nanalie just how often she'd be visiting her sister once one of them was married and out of the house, she would have dismissed the thought with a wave of her hand and forgotten about such nonsense. But what she'd never figured was just how much good living under two different roofs could do for their relationship; indeed, the made beds and clean floors and washed dishes almost made her miss having Asalaye around.

But there was no sense in complaining. Her sister was still within walking distance--and her own house was a hell of a lot neater. "I still can't believe he let you have your pink bedding."

Asalaye beamed. She'd always had a healthy glow to her, or so their father had always said, but had it been night the moon might have been envious. "Kind of a purple-pink, but close enough."

'Purple-pink' indeed--a bold shade, a difficult shade, almost a ridiculous shade. Nanalie couldn't help it. She had to laugh. "It clashes with everything!"

"So what?" Asalaye demanded as Nanalie joined her atop the atrocious blanket. "I have my pink bedding."

"Purple-pink," Nanalie corrected. Her sister clapped and let out a cackle, the shine of her moonbeam face rendering the sun outside insignificant. She'd never looked like this, not even on her wedding day. Not even that first time Nanalie had caught her climbing down the ladder from the hayloft, all giggly and disheveled and hay in her hair. "There's something different about you."

Her sister grimaced, her nose wrinkling in confusion--at least, as far as noses like theirs could wrinkle. "What do you mean? You saw me three days ago; I haven't changed since."

"Maybe not, but it's definitely something." She took a minute to look Asalaye over once again. Radiance aside, she couldn't quite put her finger on it, but Asalaye didn't feel quite like Asalaye. No, that wasn't quite true... "You seem a little more than yourself."

"'More than myself'?" Well, now that it had been repeated, it did sound pretty stupid. Still... "My God, Nan, are you and Arydath conspiring against me?"

Arydath? That had come out of nowhere. "What about Arydath?"

Asalaye shrugged. "I ran into her at Had and Lyraina's yesterday. She said something similar."

Oh. Yes, Nanalie had heard a few such lines from Arydath before--Lyraina, Avine, her own mother. But if Arydath was making such comments... "Are you pregnant?"

"What? No!" She was almost offended. The look on her face was both endearing and hilarious. "Don't you think I would have told you if I'd missed a course?"

"Maybe it happened since your last course."

"But then I couldn't know about it, could I?"

"Yes, but then you can't say for sure that you're not, can you?" Asalaye glared at her. Nanalie stuck out her tongue, then smirked. "Better start picking names, Sis."

Exasperated, her sister rolled her eyes. "You're just itching to be an aunt again, are you? Christ, you're just as bad as Father."

"Well, would you look at that? There are ladies attached to these noses."

From the looks of it, Asalaye's husband was back.

"Making jokes about noses other than mine?" Asalaye flashed him a look of mock outrage. "How could you?"

Shameless as ever, Lonriad chuckled. "Better jokes about other people's noses than jokes about your womb--right, Nanalie?"

"Just how long have you been listening at the door?" asked Asalaye with a half-annoyed smile.

Lonriad returned her grin with a wink. "Long enough to start feeling a little nauseous myself--no implications intended. Planning on staying for supper, Nan? The cook's making your favorite."

"Thank you, but I'll have to pass." She gave Asalaye a pat on the shoulder, then swung her legs off the side of the bed and hopped to her feet. As much as she hated to leave so soon, she did have to pick up a few spices. "If I'm not home to make supper myself, then the whole family is at the mercy of Avine's cooking."

Back on the bed, Asalaye shuddered. Lonriad laughed. "Fair enough. Just keep in mind that you're always welcome, all right?"

"As long as I'm not debating the state of Asalaye's womb, that is," she joked as she went to give her brother-in-law a parting hug. Over his shoulder, she could see Asalaye scowling; Lyraina always gave her that same look when Nanalie started teasing her about such things too. "Now, you two kids behave yourselves."

"We won't," Lonriad promised, earning him a snicker from Asalaye.

Nanalie sighed. "I'm sure. At least try not to scorch your eyes looking at that blanket."

"What's wrong with the blanket?"

...Men! "Never mind."

She gave him a quick pat on the arm, then headed for the door as he took over her abandoned spot on the bed, whispering something in Asalaye's ear and bursting out in laughter as she swatted at him. God, they were immature. But they were happy.

Nanalie knew that people talked about her. Nearly nineteen and never had a suitor, didn't even seem to be trying. They'd talked when Asalaye had been seeing Cord, talked again when the whole Cord deal fell through, and then Asalaye had gotten with Lonriad and they'd talked all the more. They still talked. The younger sister had married early and well above her station; the elder was still at her father's house, cooking his meals and sweeping his floors. People just couldn't mind their own damn business.

One foot out the door, Nanalie took one last glance at her sister and brother-in-law. Yes, they were young and stupid, but was that really anything to talk about? She loved him. He loved her. What did that have to do with Nanalie?

Whatever it was, she didn't even care. They didn't always get along, but all that talk was well worth seeing her sister smile.

NEXT CHAPTER:

12 comments:

Van said...

My apologies if this seemed a little hasty. It kind of was :S

Funny story. I booted up my game today and went to the Realmspeaker hood to take some shots... only to realize I had pretty much none of the required CC for the shot *headdesk*

Anyway. I do have quite a bit of homework this weekend and I didn't want to start any CC hunts I couldn't finish, so I just shot for Naroni instead. Naroni weekend, I guess?

Also, there's a new poll at the blog and my Sim Haven October Challenge entry at Scrawls and Scribblings. The challenge was to take an old piece and switch all the characters' genders; I used an old Naroni post as the source material, so some of you might be interested. *whistles*

Anonymous said...

This had me giggling all the way through!!!
Pretty much as soon as I read Asalaye was 'glowing' I thought that she could be pregnant, and looks like Nanalie had the same idea...
Nanalie is right, they're happy and in love, so what else matters?
:D
Van, how do you post comments on your own blog, I mean do you use the OpenID thing or something else? The OpenID didn't work for mine, it just said: "Your OpenID credentials could not be verified", help?

Penelope said...

Awwwww!

And I'm sure Asalaye's servants had to go well out of their way to get the sheets dyed that color, probably cursing Asalaye the whole time like, "Why would anyone want this??". *teehee*

I have had that cc issue on numerous occasions, Van. I feel your pain.

Anonymous said...

Aww. This post was adorable. It didn't seem hasty to me at all. :) Asalaye and Nanalie are awesome together. I hope they're always this close.

And hey, there is something to be said for moving out and getting along better with your siblings. My brother and I get along so much better when we don't have to live under the same roof. Of course, part of that might be that we don't really speak ... but that's what you get when one sibling is a hermit and the other one already has a very active social life.

Can I also just say that Nanalie is kind of quietly awesome? Seriously, if getting married and having a family is what she wants -- and she might not want that -- the other boys in the village have no idea what they're missing. Somebody needs to come over to Adonis's for dinner when Nanalie is in a joking mood and get his socks knocked off.

... And I almost wrote "socks knocked up" ... yes, congrats to Asalaye and Lonriad on the new baby (I hope they all have her nose), but I think it's time for me to shut up now. ;)

Ok, I lied. Word verification is "racessiv," which is kind of close to "recessive," no? I guess we'll find out when it comes to The Nose.

Orilon said...

Good Grief, the Kemorins sure are fertile.

I had to laugh at Lonraid's response.

I liked the non "Ice Queen" look at Nanalie; joking around.

Van said...

Oh wow, I sure woke up to a full inbox. This makes up for the roommates' noisy Halloween brunch, for sure :)

EkhoGirl: She did marry a Kemorin ;)

For all Nanalie can be a stick in the mud sometimes, she does have her priorities in order. Happiness trumps mild social conventions :)

Umm... just like I comment on any other Blogger blog? :P Is yours not letting you comment while logged in? If not, that's pretty weird :S

Pen: Oh, I imagine there was much moaning and groaning on the servants' front XD

Ah, CC. Makes Sims both way more interesting and way more frustrating :S

Morgaine: I hope they stay close too. Not living together didn't do much for me and my brother (we're both hermits and we always got along well for the most part), but it's done wonders for my relationship with my mother :)

I think Nanalie wants to get married eventually... but she's a smart girl. She doesn't want to risk getting stuck with the wrong guy; if she hadn't suspected Adonis's involvement in the Cord thing, I don't think she would have said yes there. But yeah, all those guys who refused to ask her on Cord's behalf don't know what they're missing.

Ha! Both those noses have proven pretty dominant, so it should be interesting. I think each of them hope the kids get the other's nose :P

Orilon: And to think, Nora and Xeta and Lettie are all expecting at this point too XD

Nanalie can be fun when she lets herself, for sure :)

Thanks everyone :D

Penelope said...

Halloween brunch? I'm sorry that happened to you. :D :D

Van said...

XD

It's a silly thing to complain about, I know... but my roommates have ridiculously loud friends and I'd hoped to sleep in :P

S.B. said...

And people are still worried about it. I read a letter to an advice columnist from a woman who referred to herself as an 'old maid', and I was wondering, what century is this?

Lonriad and Asalaye are a perfect match, never mind the noses. Nanalie probably has some reason to worry about what on earth will happen to her.

Van said...

It's pretty sad that there's still a bit of a stigma about being a woman and never being married. I mean, at least back in the day it was a convenience thing and therefore there was sort of reason to worry, but today? One of the happiest women I've ever known is an old friend of my mother's. She's in her sixties, never been married--and she's had a great career and travelled pretty much everywhere.

Lonriad and Asalaye are like destiny. As for Nanalie, I wouldn't worry just yet. Most girls in Naroni and Dovia seem to marry at fifteen or sixteen, but looking at my database, it's not like it's unheard of to still be unmarried at nineteen. Alina was almost nineteen when she got married, and she's probably the last person in the story who'll ever get called an old maid. And then Celina was twenty-two and worrying that her uncle would shut her up in a convent but look at her now--two (mostly) happy marriages, eight surviving children, three healthy grandchildren and a fourth on the way.

Verity said...

Poor Nanalie. I guess if she doesn't find anyone she could always live with Lonriad and Asalye. She doesn't seem like such a stick in the mud after all... if only some nice guy would actually take the time to get to know her.

Van said...

I wouldn't worry too much about Nanalie. Whatever happens, I don't see her dying unfulfilled ;)