October 7, 2011

In Which Alya Meets Someone New

May 28, 1176

"Alya?"

Alya flopped onto her side and reached for Buttons. She'd been in bed for hours, but there had been so much noise coming from her parents' room that she hadn't been able to sleep. Now that it was finally quiet again, the room was getting fuzzy and her eyelids heavy. It wasn't a thought she was used to, but... she didn't want to stay up!

"Alya? Are you awake?"

A gentle hand landed on her back and began to rub. Annoyed, Alya yawned and stared up at the intruder, but found she couldn't stay angry at him for long. "Papa?"

He pressed a finger to his lips, then placed his hands beneath Alya's arms and eased her upwards. "Sorry if I woke you."

Like she'd been asleep--with all that noise not that long ago. Silly Papa. "No."

"No? Uh-oh. Sounds like somebody's going to be cranky in the morning." He tapped her on the nose and flashed her a goofy grin; it was probably a babyish thing to laugh at, but she couldn't help letting out a few giggles. "But I'm glad you're awake. There's someone who wants to meet you."

A guest? Now? That didn't make any sense. "At night?"

Chuckling, her papa started toward the door. "We didn't really get much say as to the time."

"Why not?"

"Why do you ask so many questions?" He closed the door behind him and shook his head. "Try to keep it down, all right? Mama's sleeping."

Alya nodded, although Mama's chatty friends didn't seem to have the same idea, talking and laughing like it was barely past lunch. Why were they even here so late? Hilla lived a long ride away and Rona's castle was even further. Auntie Raia, at least, lived nearby... and at least she was being quiet...

Papa carried her to the foot of the bed and looked toward the ladies. "Raia?"

Auntie Raia? That was who wanted to meet her? That was silly. Alya had already met Aunt Raia. She saw her all the time! "Papa..."

Her auntie turned around, revealing a tiny form resting on her shoulder. It looked a little like Alya's Uncle Donny, only Uncle Donny was bigger and had hair. Then again, maybe it didn't look so much like Uncle Donny. Still a baby, though.

"All calm and fed, I see?"

Taking a few steps toward Auntie Raia nodded and lowered the baby to her middle. "A lot calmer than my two ever were."

"That's lucky, considering all this crazy Kemorin blood." Smirking as Auntie Raia glared at him, Alya's father ducked down to allow her a closer look. "Alya, this is your little sister."

So she was Mama's baby--the one that had been hiding under her dress for so long. Funny. With all the fuss about the baby, Alya would've thought she'd be more interesting, but she didn't seem to be able to do much other than stare around the room out of big, curious eyes. "Why's she just lying there?"

"She's worshiping you," answered Aunt Raia. "Don't you know, Alya? All big sisters get worshiped."

"And your auntie knows that better than anyone." Papa bent over to kiss the baby's brow, then did the same to Alya's. "My girls. Between the two of you, I'm going to have a lot of boys to chase off, aren't I?"

Boys? Alya cringed at the thought--as always, not sure why Papa and Auntie Raia found that so funny. The baby seemed unfazed. Maybe she hadn't met any boys other than their papa yet. Lucky baby.

Then again, at least Alya was big enough to do things. "She's small."

"A little, but she'll get bigger." Her papa lifted her to eye level. The baby may have been pale like Mama, but she and Papa had the same dark eyes. "Until that happens, though, you're going to have to watch out for her, especially around the bigger kids. Can you do that for me?"

Alya nodded. Her papa smiled. "That's my big girl."

NEXT CHAPTER:

15 comments:

Van said...

I'm never sure about the way I write kids' POVs. So many times I'll think of some awesome phrase for the narrative and then... nope, no way a toddler would know what that word means :S

In other news, my graphics card is apparently not good enough for the "Smooth Edges" bar! Not sure what to do about this. I think I'll just live with it for now because A) I'm cheap and B) my dad does my finances and sees all my transactions, and I don't really want to do any explaining.

Aaaand Sim babies will never be able to pass as newborns :S But between these two, it won't be long before the outer walls of Casa Izzy are lined with broken hearts.

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwww.

It's all just so cute!! And Shahira is such a pretty name. (Izzy's mother?)

I liked Alya's perspective for this -- it put a unique twist on it. And it's just all so adorable!

Three cheers for Baby Shahira! May she and her big follow the fine Kemorin/Sadiel tradition and give their papa lots of gray hairs! ;)

Van said...

Thanks Morgaine :)

Yep--for the sake providing space between Alinas--she's named for Izzy's mom.

Marrying into that family is pretty much asking for grey hairs XD

Pen said...

Dude, your graphics look fine. (Says someone who has been taking photos in a Mac version of the game for years, where "smooth edges" is never an option).

Heh, what is Isidro doing waking a 3-year-old? Does he have a thing for screams and tears?

I must fly prematurely because Mr. Pen is taking his machine back. EEP!

Van said...

That's definitely a relief to hear. I find the game looks a lot better when in motion than when stationary, so there have been a few times when I've felt the need to run my finger back and forth along the touch pad while taking the screenshot (and hoping it didn't screw with my angle too much). For the most part, though, it's tolerable (and probably something only the person taking the picture would notice).

Heheh... I guess Alya's pretty calm most of the time? He probably couldn't wait until morning to get his daughters acquainted with each other. (Although admittedly, I have no idea what most parents would do in that situation. I was introduced to my brother right away, but he was born in the middle of the day).

Penelope said...

Rully? Motion shots? I've actually been having this issue with Irfanview where the camera doesn't take the images as fast as what I'm used to so when I was done with the photo shoot, I had a bunch of images that were like sky, wall, Kvornan's butt. There is probably a way to control shutter speed but I haven't found it yet.

Van said...

Weeeeird :S

I don't use Irfanview, so I can't really help you there. I know Lothere uses it (or at least did at one point), and I think I've heard a couple other people mention it, so I'm sure someone in the community would know something about it.

Anonymous said...

I was hoping you would give Alya a POV :3

It's written fine, just makes her all the more adorable :3 I hope Shahira does worship her big sister, but I can easily foresee some emotional or plain old sisterly rivalry between them, especially when it comes to those boys xD

I don't think Alya is too impressed with her shrimpy little baby sister, that's exactly how I felt toward my younger siblings too xD

Van said...

Thanks EkhoGirl :)

Oh, there's always the potential for rivalry, especially considering that one of them is adopted and one of them isn't. Alya might feel like Izzy and Riona love Shahira more because she's actually theirs; Shahira, meanwhile, might think they love Alya more because while they kind of had to keep Shahira once she came into existence, they chose to keep Alya.

Of course, there's always the potential for worship too :P

I imagine that's a pretty common sentiment among older siblings. There's only a two-and-a-half-year age difference between my brother and I, so I don't really remember life before he was around, but apparently I told the nurse she could take him back XD

S.B. said...

Shahira is a beautiful name, and she looks like she's going to be a beautiful girl.

I laughed out loud at the remark about mama hiding the baby under her dress! That's exactly the kind of odd thing a little girl would think! And worshipping her big sister...one big AWWWWW

Van said...

Oh, Izzy is going to have a ton of boys to fight off XD

I'm glad that thought didn't seem too forced. I know next to nothing about kids, so it's always a shot in the dark when I'm writing them.

Keri said...

Your kid POVs are really cute. I'm always wondering what's going on in my kid's head. Something I've noticed is that my 18 month old is VERY inquisitive and wants to do things his way and ONLY his way. But that might just be him.

Also I have no idea how I'd introduce my son, Wesley, to any future siblings. I guess it would depend on the hour, but I would DEFINATELY wait until the new baby was cleaned up and I had a chance to recover. Making babies is a tough, dirty job. I wish it was as simple as they make it look in the sims. Haha!

Van said...

Thanks, Keri. I'm never really sure how I should be writing them, but it's always good to hear that people are enjoying :)

I'm not really sure how I'd introduce a kid to a little sibling either. I don't remember meeting my brother, but I'm guessing he did get cleaned up first (and that it was probably my dad who introduced us while my mom rested). It seems to me like they'd want to do that right away.

Oh, how easy Sims have it! Not that I've ever given birth, but... I've heard things. Many, many things :S

Wesley is such a nice name :)

Keri said...

Awe, thanks. I really like his name too. It means "Western meadow". I'm hoping he'll forgive us for that at some point...not very manly or anything. We wanted something unique but not hard to spell. Wesley certainly won't have trouble with 5 other Wesleys in his class at school nor will it be hard to figure out how his name is spelled. I tell ya, no one can spell my name right and that has always bugged me. Everyone wants to go with Carrie...sometimes I wish that was the spelling my parents would have gone with...sheesh!

Van said...

What's great about names like "Wesley" is that they're unique without being absolutely out there. I know I always felt bad for all the Johns and Sarahs I went to school with, since there were usually at least a couple per class :S

Oh man, people struggle with my name too for some reason. I get a lot of "Venessa" or "Vannesa" or even--in one particularly embarrassing instance of a mailing label--"Banessa". And people wonder why I shortened it :P

(And then there's my ridiculous last name, which is a whole other issue...)