October 2, 2011

In Which Cord's Spotless Past Is Null and Void

April 17, 1176

"...and then before my wife can even get a guest list together, you go behind Nanalie's back and--"

"Sir, with all due respect, that's not how it happened!" But how had it happened? Even to Cord the details were a bit hazy. But if nothing else, he'd hoped that no one would think he'd planned for this; unfortunately, that may have been to much to ask.

Or at least from Asalaye and Nanalie's father.

"Oh really?" If he squinted, Cord could swear he saw two steady jets of smoke spouting from Master Indruion's nostrils. How was this snarling beast the same man who had always greeted him with a smile when he'd shown up at the house for a visit with Asalaye? Was it time playing this trick on him, or merely circumstance? "Then enlighten me. How did it happen?"

Maybe this was all just a nightmare. If it was--and by God, how he hoped it was!--then now would have been as good a time as any to wake.

"It was all just an honest mistake, sir. I just went to visit a friend and the next thing I know, her brother forces me to marry her."

Master Indruion raised an eyebrow. Maybe it had been too much to hope that he would by the abridged version of the story. "God damn it! If I want bullshit, I'll clean my barn. You've jilted both of my marriageable daughters and I'm not leaving without an explanation--the true explanation, or at least as true of one as a backstabbing little shit like you can give!"

Backstabbing. Of all the things he'd never been called before and hoped never to be called at all. He'd always tried to be a good man, and for the most part he'd succeeded. How was it that one stupid mistake could render his otherwise spotless past null and void? "All right, we may have been... sort of... not wearing clothes..."

"Oh, so that's what happened?" The man's finger met Cord's rib with all the force of a javelin, his once brown eyes red as all hell. It was a struggle not to shudder. Cord must have had a good three inches on Master Indruion and several pounds at that, but all of a sudden he was three years old again and not even knee-high--and this was not the kindly old friend of his father's who'd always been so good about letting the children play in his loft. "Neither of my girls ever put out for you, so you went to find yourself a little tramp who would? You idiot! If you just wanted sex, no one would have forced you to marry a whore from the brothel!"

"Sir--"

"You know what?" Master Indruion shot Cord another glare and stormed toward the door, a clap of thunder in each footstep. "I'm glad you didn't marry either of my girls. By God, they can both do much better than a lecherous oaf who turns from a good woman at the whim of some slut!"

"Sir--"

"Don't you 'sir' me!"

The door slammed shut before he could realize it had opened--before he could even apologize, say how much he loved Asalaye, how he would have tried to do right by Nanalie. A labored sigh breaking free from his chest, Cord shuffled to the couch and collapsed upon it. He never would get a chance to say those things now. In all likelihood, Adonis Indruion had no intention of ever speaking to him again.

"Cord?"

He didn't have to turn to see Riala making her way down the stairs, not when her slippers made that soft click! on every step, not when her linen skirt swished from board to board. How long had she been listening from above? Long enough to hear herself branded a slut?

"How much did you hear?"

"Does it matter?" Fairy footfalls chimed against the floor as she flitted forth to join him on the couch. She had been good about this whole thing, much better than he might have expected. He almost felt guilty about wishing she was Asalaye.

"Are you all right?"

Cord shrugged. "I didn't get to say everything I wanted, but I guess I'll survive."

"Mmm." Her blue eyes fell to her lap as she twirled her wedding band around her finger. It was a little big for her, but that shouldn't have surprised him. It had been made for someone else. "I'm sorry, Cord. I should have told Fenrick to fuck off."

Was that how she really felt? Maybe she was right, or at least partially. Then again, maybe he was an even bigger asshole for thinking that. "No, it's my fault. I shouldn't have called at your place."

"You couldn't have known this would happen." A frown on her mouth, she let her hands fall idle. Stillness didn't quite suit her. "I can't believe I was so careless. I've never been caught before."

Never. He believed her. He could even vouch for her.

But there was a first for everything. Figured that it had to be him.

NEXT CHAPTER:

18 comments:

Van said...

So. Question.

Since "Founder downloads" was one of the winners of the anniversary gift poll... uhh, where would you guys prefer to see them uploaded? Here? My blog? Plumb Bob Keep? I can think of advantages and disadvantages for all of the above, so I kind of want a few opinions before the time (which fortunately isn't until closer to the end of the month).

Penelope said...

Story site should just be story? I can see why it would make sense to put them here though. Would we have to login to Plum Bob Keep to download? If so, maybe they should be on the blog. (Really I just want Florian so that I can take pictures of him chatting with Phoenix and being offensive. Doesn't matter where I download said Florian from.)

And now for the chapter rant:

Sort of not wearing clothes? Oh Cord. He is really not ready to be an adult yet. Not really good at sticking up for his friends either but I guess he was feeling rather guilty after all of this. In the end, he did manage to bag the hot chick. Really, I think Cord has glass half empty syndrome. I mean, he did burn down the house but then his mother married a knight.

Van said...

I'm thinking I'll probably put at least a temporary heads-up here (not sure if absolutely everybody always reads the comments), but right now I'm leaning toward my blog. You don't have to login to PBK for downloads there anymore, but I don't know if my Sims will appeal to non-readers (most of them are pretty much face templates) so they probably won't get posted there.

Ha! I can so see Florian chatting with Phoenix and being offensive. "So you sit around watching cartoons in your underwear, do you? Big deal. I sit around in malls and watch people in my underwear."

Legally and I think task-wise Cord is an adult and used to the status, but socially that's another story. As for Riala, I guess he sort of has mixed feelings for her at this point, nothing strong enough to make him want to defend her while Adonis chewed him out. At least he seemed concerned that she heard?

But yeah, that does tend to happen--he does something stupid, but then something good happens. I guess we'll wait and see ;)

Penelope said...

Phoenix: (entering his home office with Dina in tow) Florian, what are you doing here?

Florian: Just teaching young Conrad here to belch his ABC's. Kid's got talent.

Phoenix: I see...

Florian: (turns attention to Dina) Well hellooo Mrs. Robinson.

Dina: Your fly is undone.

Florian: (wiggles eyebrows) I know.


Yeah but if Cord's marriage doesn't work out, he'll probably just end up accidentally killing all of his livestock and then somehow having that lead into a divorce, followed by a marriage to one of Severin's kids.

Van said...

Oh, man. I read your comment on my phone while I was in class and very nearly died laughing XD

I wouldn't rule that out as a possibility just yet. Vera's still free, after all ;)

Penelope said...

Oh man Van, don't feel too bad. I was on a crowded bus on the way to work sometime last week when I started thinking about the dialogue for chapter 91 of DBL. I got to a point in the conversation where it was so funny that I burst out laughing seemingly at nothing in front of like 40 strangers. I had to whip out my phone and immediately begin texting Mr. Pen so that it looked like I had thought of something funny to tell someone else. Definitely not a crazy lady on the bus laughing at the voices in her head. Nope nope nope.

Van said...

Heheheh... :P

I eagerly await this hilarious dialogue of which you speak :)

Joseph said...

Pen, you really make me laugh. Nuff said.

(and I agree that you should post the founder downloads on your blog. Best place for them really)

Hmmm, this has shades of the Falidor/Ailede storyline from donkey's years ago "back when there weren't no weather an' Alina was poppin em' out"

I wish Cord and Asalaye had got together but I suppose he and Riala will have to make the best of it.

Hmmm it seems that Riala inherited certain whorish traits from her mother.

Van said...

I don't see much of Falidor/Ailede in Cord/Riala, to be honest. Ailede had planned their initial encounter and poor Falidor was too drunk and naive to get out of it. Riala and Cord got caught accidentally (albeit carelessly), with no intention of anything more than casual sex on the part of either party.

That and Riala doesn't have a bitchy bone in her whole body, whereas her mother kind of takes the cake there.

...There was a Team Cord? o_O

Anonymous said...

Whorish traits? A woman who enjoys sex and has it with multiple partners is automatically a whore? *barely stifles feminist rage*

Yeah, yeah, I know, the times -- but no. No. What Riala has is a healthy sexuality that pleases her. Maybe it won't please Cord so much, if she continues to enjoy sex with multiple partners, but there's been no indication that Riala would do that. (Cheating is different from having multiple partners. Ailede cheated. Before Cord, Riala wasn't making any promises to anybody and was free to do what she wanted with her own body. Maybe that wouldn't have flown in actual 1176 Spain-ish, but the world of Naroni has plenty of sexual freedom.)

She is not a whore. She enjoys sex and has it with multiple consenting partners. She did not do it for any kind of financial or material gain. End of story.

And now I can't even comment on the post, I have to go calm down and get the FEMINIST RAGE!!!1!! button unpushed. *deep breaths, deep breaths*

Van said...

I try not to take too opinionated of a stance on my own blogs, but...

Agreed. Definitely, definitely agreed.

Penelope said...

Not that I don't agree 100% under modern conventions but just to play devil's advocate-- It was the times? It didn't even occur to me to be pissed off at Adonis here when there are men in this story who deserve it so much more. Domingo comes to mind. Octavius as well. Even Fenrick was arguably more offensive. (His sister is his possession and HOW DARE Cord violate the sanctity of another man's maiden sister? You break it, you buy it.) If that's the world that Adonis inhabits, it's hard for me to be mad at him for saying what would be taken at face value as a fact/would even go without saying. What was more shocking to me than Adonis's reaction was Cord's lack of reaction. In retrospect, Cord should have been angry as a matter of principle. Riala is his friend but also now his wife (which should count for something). Even if she weren't, she is still a lady.

Penelope said...

Wait a minute-- *reads upwards on comments thread*

How did I miss that? Oh Joseph...

Van said...

:S

S.B. said...

I feel as bad for Riala as I do for Cord. And I can't blame Indruion for being pissed, either, even if it didn't come out exactly right.

I agree with the majority: post your downloads on your main story blog. It make it easier on everybody!

Van said...

They are have their reasons for being angry/uncomfortable/otherwise inconvenienced, definitely :S

Yeah, I think they'll be going up on the blog. Thanks Beth :)

Keri said...

I think Joseph has a bit of a point there, she didn't hesitate much to jump on Cord considering he is recently engaged and already in a love triangle...Lets make it a Foursome!

I also get that the characters need to be a bit "larger than life" or at least not conform to the actual way it was back in the day...since this way makes for a much more interesting story.

However, I'd like to point out that as a happily married mother of an 18 month old, I'm kinda glad I had only slept with 3 people in my entire life including my husband. He has never slept with anyone besides me. So the world isn't full of people taking their pants off for no reason, male or female...just wanted to point that out.

I also wouldn't call her whorish though, at least not like her mother was.

Am I the only one that got an inkling that Riala isn't too put out by all this? I think she has feelings for Cord, just a little bit more-than-friends feelings.

Van said...

Like anything, I think it's just personal preference. Nothing wrong with sleeping around as long as all involved parties are consenting and aware of the circumstances, and there's certainly nothing wrong with not sleeping around either. It's a very personal decision, whether or not to have sex with someone, and in an ideal world, society wouldn't try to influence it one way or the other.

But yeah, I wouldn't call Riala whorish. And she does seem to feel a little something for Cord.