October 25, 2011

In Which Laveria Does Not Elaborate

October 6, 1176

"Well, way to keep your old mother waiting!" Laveria scolded as she greeted her son with a hug. "I've been expecting you for hours now."

"My apologies. I wasn't aware that we'd established a time."

Severin smiled, but a nuance in his voice betrayed a certain impatience. He didn't appreciate her nagging. He'd meant to be here earlier. "Out with it. Where were you?"

Sighing, he unhooked a button on his sleeve and took to massaging his wrist in irritation. So much for thinking he'd outgrown that nervous habit years ago. "I was stuck at the castle all morning--because Lord knows it wouldn't be my birthday without a shouting match with Roderick. And then of course Laralita's still in a dark place, so I ended up staying with her for a while..."

"Pleasant." Laveria rolled her eyes. She'd only met the queen a handful of time, most of which had been before she was queen, but after all these years she'd heard more than her fill of stories. Still... "Poor thing, though. I can't even imagine."

"Likewise." Ah, but he didn't want to talk about that. Not when his niece lay beneath a tombstone and her sickly little son struggled to take from the breast of any willing nurse. Not when his own daughter visited the crypt more days than she didn't and had somehow convinced herself she should have prevented it. Not when his sworn nemesis was too distraught to even be his nemesis. "Far too young, that girl. She should have had decades ahead of her."

Decades. Laveria had decades to spare. She'd had all the decades in the world once, but she'd given most of them up. A pity that girls like Elhina couldn't have snatched the ones she'd discarded. "Shouldn't they all."

Nodding, Severin's eyes followed a moth to the other side of the room and Laveria let hers do the same. The creature flitted back and forth between shelves, hovered over a stack of books, then rested on the wall. It didn't look like it intended to move for a while. As if by innate agreement, they both let it be and shared a glance. Severin coughed. "Anyway. After that, I had to stop by the chapel at Armion. Lorn wanted me to meet the new clergyman."

"The monk?" She couldn't stop her nose from wrinkling in distaste. She knew it was unfair to judge an entire class of men based on the actions of one person, but... well. Those hadn't been the most harmless of actions.

"Yes--the monk."

There was something about the way he said it that was a little unsettling. Granted, Laveria wasn't the only one with a certain distrust of clergymen. But no. No, this seemed to be something a little more than moderate skepticism. That was too general. It wasn't monks he was objecting to; it was this monk. "What's he like?"

"Well... certainly more pious than Quartus ever was." He sniffed. 'Pious' was not necessarily a compliment--more likely not than necessarily in this case. "But to be honest, I didn't get a great feeling from the man. He's a bit..."

"Sinister?"

Severin frowned. Close... but not quite. "Yes, but there's a little more to it. Surreal, and not the good sort of surreal. Erie. Kind of makes you feel like there are spiders under your skin. You know--I never thought I'd say this--but I'm almost tempted to go to the next mass at Armion. It would be interesting to see how the people react to this Brother Remiel."

...what had he said the man's name was?

"Remiel?" The better part of a lifetime now and the name still felt like a dagger in her mouth. "Remiel d'Aquino?"

She caught herself a moment too late. Severin squinted, his brow creeping upward. Why had she blurted that out? "An acquaintance of yours, Mother?"

All she could do was sniff. She couldn't cool his curiosity now that it had been sparked, and of course swallowing back the words was out of the question. Her only options were half-truths. "I may have heard the name once or twice."

"Really?" The brow peaked a little higher. God, he looked like Lonriad when he was fighting back a scowl. "Care to elaborate?"

No. No, she did not.

"You should go home. Your children probably haven't had a chance to wish you a happy birthday."

NEXT CHAPTER:

10 comments:

Van said...

I noticed an issue with Blogger earlier today (actually, it happened when I posted yesterday's Ashelia too, but I just dismissed it as a one-off thing at the time). They seemed to have updated their "Adult Content Notice" page, which in itself is unremarkable... but after that page, any blog using an old template required a refresh in order for all of its content to appear.

Now that I've posted that notice at the top of this blog (it loaded everything you can see when you first show up, but there was a wasteland upon scrolling down) it seems to have fixed itself, which figures... but I'll still be keeping an eye on it over the course of the next few days. Let me know about any weirdness.

Joseph said...

About the shithole that is our delightful Blogger...

That issue I had with not being able to access your sites (or indeed any site with an adult content warning). It's because I'm a minor.

So I can't view these sites in my Google account but when I've logged out, I can see these sites just fine. The situation sucks but I can't do anything about it.

Naroni loaded for me just fine. I've had other sites do that but I put that down to my computer being slow. So maybe it has fixed itself.

Penelope said...

DUN DUN DUUUUNNNN!!! And now I am officially intrigued. It takes a special sort of person to worry Laveria. I mean, grandma keeps daggers in her waistband 24/7. You just don't mess with that.


I noticed that Blogger issue too. It looks like they reverted back to the old system though. Oh, Google.

Orilon said...

Uh Oh, I'm not liking Laveria's thoughts about the new Monk.

I had the problem several times where when I got the new Age Verification Page when I clicked I agree only the first picture of Searle's son Karlspan would show up and the rest of the page was blank. There was no comment link for me to comment and tell you.

I'm more than old enough but don't have a blogger account, so I get the age verification page very time I want to see Naroni.

Van said...

Joseph: Hmm. That must be a recent innovation. I'm of age now, but I started Naroni when I was seventeen and I don't remember having that problem. Then again, it was my site. Then again again, I don't remember not being able to access other people's adult sites.

Ah, well. Glad it's working for you now.

Pen: If Laveria's that concerned, it's probably a big deal :S

Long live the old system? :P

Orilon: And to think, she clearly knows more than she's telling too :S

Yeah, that's exactly the same problem I was having. The same thing was also happening on most of my other blogs.

The age verification page is unfortunately universal. I even get it when I'm logged in, and it should know damn well that I'm old enough to view my own stuff :P

Penelope said...

Hey Van, you wouldn't happen to remember where Raia's hair is from? I know that it's an ancient one and I thought maybe Peggy but I am having difficulty tracking it down. Sorry for the blog spam. :\

S.B. said...

Severin considers it nagging, I consider it Mom worrying LOL!

He's digging into something that seems so off that it's frightening. And if Laveria recognizes the name...hell yes DUM DUM DUM!

I love the detail about the buttons.

I ran into Blogger's new adult warning system but it doesn't seem to stay in place very long.

Van said...

Pen: Yep, it's an old Peggy pay hair. Since that site is impossible to navigate and free stuff is nice, here's the booty link:

http://paysites.mustbedestroyed.org/booty/ts2/peggy/femalehair/hairmesh00448/

Beth: Haha, yep. Even parents can be annoyed by their parents XD

I think Laveria doesn't want Severin to dig into it any further than he already has... but that doesn't seem all that likely ;)

Heh. Hopefully they've learned their lesson about fixing things that aren't broken.

Thanks :)

Penelope said...

Yay! You rock! Thanks, Van!!

Van said...

No prob :)