December 27, 2010

In Which Nora Sees a Man Head over Heels

March 15, 1171

"All smiles, as usual," Nora noted with a grin as Falidor bounced Roddie up and down. "He's always so happy to see his Uncle Falidor."

Falidor tugged at the corners of his mouth in what he might have judged to be a satisfactory reply, but his gaze did not shift from the baby's eyes. "He's got his sister's eyes."

Nora raised an eyebrow. She wasn't sure whether he meant Raia or Viridis, but it seemed like an odd thing to say in either case. "They've got their father's eyes."

Her brother's face grew grim, as though he was about to be ill--not that this surprised her much. He'd been wearing that look quite often lately. "You don't say."

"Look, if you're going to be sick, I'd appreciate it if it wasn't all over my baby." She held out her arms and gestured for him to hand over Roddie; flushing, Falidor obeyed. "Maybe take a seat now--I think it's time for somebody's nap."

Nora crossed the room and lowered Roddie into his crib as Falidor set himself down on the couch. As his little eyelids began to droop, she leaned in and kissed the baby's forehead, then stepped back and joined her brother. "You said you wanted to talk to me about something?"

"Yes." He clasped his hands together and sighed, a wave of some unnamed emotion spreading outward to the tips of his fingers and the soles of his feet. "I'm in love."

Well, that certainly explained why he'd been so green around the gills recently! Nora clapped her hand against her thigh and laughed. "It's about damn time!"

"Yes... I suppose." He sunk back into his seat and sighed, looking far less like a man in love than a fading half-corpse. Of course, she supposed, it wasn't as if he didn't have reason to be feeling down; he would still be legally married to Ailede for over nine months, and love did have a tendency to slow the flow of time.

"So, who is she?" It seemed like a harmless enough question--perhaps even one he'd be eager to answer. Instead, however, his features fell even further.

"Uh... I don't want to say."

Nora frowned. "Oh? Why not?"

"She's a bit... inconvenient." He took hold of a lock his hand and held in front of his face, examining it. Nora rolled her eyes; after finding one gray hair a few weeks prior, he'd been just as paranoid about them as any forty-year-old woman.

"Falidor, love is inconvenient." She gave his hand a quick squeeze, then shot him a quick grin; he returned it half-heartedly. "And that's the beauty of it, really. Would you want it to be easy? How can you know how much it means to you if you don't have to work and wait for it?"

"It's not ease or lack of therefore that concerns me." Falidor slumped forward, his arms folding and resting deftly across his knees. "I'm sure she feels at least something for me, but she's quite young and could doubtlessly do better. I really don't know if she'll still be interested by the time I'm free to marry her, and I don't want to trap her in either case."

"I see." She glanced down at her own ring--Severin's, as Jothein's was now housed alongside Lady Alina's in a small shrine at the back of the wardrobe--and smiled to herself. Love always seemed to strike at the worst of times.

Also, the best of times.

"Well, I guess all you can do at this point is wait until January and see how things stand between you and this mysterious lady love of yours then." It was a truth that he already knew, but nonetheless it was all she could say.

At the very least, he smirked--the first true smile she'd seen from him in a while. "Way to tell me what I already know, sis."

Nora shrugged. "If you wanted my opinion, then I was obligated to say at least something, was I not?"

"If my lady feels disinclined, she may ignore this servant's humble requests."

Dear Lord! Before she'd married him, she'd never understood why Severin didn't care for the formal addresses, but now she found them tiresome as well--and her brother knew it. "Damn you."

"Damn yourself." Nora rolled her eyes; Falidor laughed. "My God, you really are spending too much time with that man."

"Why shouldn't I? He makes me feel good about myself." She leaned back on the armrest and glanced toward the baby's crib, smiling to herself. "Doesn't this girl of yours do that for you?"

Falidor snorted. "On the contrary, she makes me feel like an idiot."

Intrigued, Nora straightened her posture and looked her brother over once again; suddenly, he did look like a man head over heels. "Well, if I know anything about men, then you must be very much in love indeed."

NEXT CHAPTER:

14 comments:

Van said...

I hope you all had a good Christmas, or are at least enjoying the time off :)

Anyway, for those of you who don't know, they started doing interviews at VSS, and this week is mine. The thread is located here and additional questions are welcome (you don't have to be a member to post).

Anonymous said...

I am having a fantastic Christmas, and I hope you are too!

It's so cute seeing Falidor in love and talking about it! Even if it is rather dangerous for him to be talking about it to Nora, all things considered. She just might take that "sister's eyes" comment and put two and two together.

However, if Nora starts by looking for women who make Falidor feel like an idiot ... she might be looking for a long, long time. Not that it matters. We love you anyway, Falidor (and so does Raia). *pats head*

S.B. said...

I love this! Nora's sharp. I doubt it will take her long to put it together, and I'm wondering how she'll react when she finds out.

I loved your interview!!

Van said...

Morgaine: Glad to hear it. All things considered, my Christmas went well enough too :)

Nora isn't exactly the safest person Falidor can talk to about this, but I guess he figured she beats confiding in, say, Florian (although that probably would have been an interesting post).

She might be able to figure it out if she thinks back to that comment, that and the fact that he seemed a bit nervous when Severin was first mentioned. She might not, though--she's probably pretty tired these days, with a young baby and all.

Haha, true. Every woman makes Falidor look like an idiot :P

Beth: I'm wondering how she'll react too. I can't imagine that the idea of your brother having a relationship with your stepdaughter is one that readily occurs to most people, and Raia is pretty young, so she's doubtlessly in for a shock. However she reacts, though, she'll probably get over it pretty quickly.

Thanks, Beth. Now that I'm up, I should probably check that...

J A Murphy said...

Oh, poor Falidor. This is the first time he has truly been in love and he has no idea how to cope. Nora is the one who's always been there for him, but I have to agree with the others that she probably wasn't the best choice and if she finds a moment to think about it will more than likely work it out. Still, if she works it out and comes to terms with it before Severin finds out, that could very well work in Falidor's favour.

Van said...

Yeah, if Nora figures it out, that could be bad news for Falidor indeed--but like you said, if she can deal with it, then she might be a valuable ally for whenever Falidor and Raia decide to come clean to Severin.

Thanks Illandrya :)

The Lunar Fox said...

Oh yeah, I can definitely see how Nora knowing might be of help. Silly Falidor thinking Raia might change her mind. That's a woman who knows exactly what she wants. But still, that's very Falidor of him to doubt this good thing coming along.

Van said...

Yeah, I think Raia's mind is made up. She's not going back on this... but the doubt is very, very Falidor.

Thanks Lunar :)

thewynd said...

Of all the people who would understand loving someone outside their station it would be Nora. However I still get why Falidor couldn't say anything, that would would put Nora in a rather precarious spot.

I think Nora would support him though and I wonder if Severin would as well. His daughter's happiness (and i can't see her falling out of love with Falidor any time soon) would be what mattered most.

Van said...

Yeah, I think at the end of the day, Nora would be okay with it in the end. As for Severin, he might have an issue with it at first, but I do think Raia's happiness comes first for him, and if she's happy being Falidor's mistress, that's good enough for him. Can't blame Falidor for being paranoid, though :S

Thanks Gayl :)

Penelope said...

Well I don't suppose Falidor has spent much time gazing into Severin's eyes.

hehehe I don't know why that image is so funny but it is. DO NOT WANT.

Penelope said...

OH! And congrats on the interview Van!

Van said...

Heheheh... maybe his attraction to Raia is an indication of something else? :P

Thanks Pen :)

Penelope said...

Ha! Oh boy. I can't even imagine him thinking subconsciously, "If only his lordship had breasts..."