December 12, 2010

In Which Eilyssa Sees No Harm

February 16, 1171

Noting his lack of a cloak, Eilyssa pulled her cousin into the house. She'd met him a few days prior, but considering how most of the rest of her mother's side felt about her, she hadn't been expecting to see him again--not to say that it wasn't a pleasant surprise of course. "You must be freezing."

"I'm quite fine, thank you." He closed the door behind him, then followed after her. "Are your father and stepmother home?"

Eilyssa shook her head. She wasn't supposed to have boys over when her parents were out, but she supposed they wouldn't care if it was only her cousin. "My father's at the castle, and my stepmother ran out to the market. Can I get you something to drink?"

"No, thank you--I don't plan to stay long." Odd; he'd made quite the ride for just an in-and-out visit. "I just wanted to ask you something."

Eilyssa frowned. What was this about? It wasn't as if they knew each other well at all; what could he possibly have wanted to hear from her? "Yes?"

"Well, frankly, I believe my stepbrother's opinions of you are horribly ignorant and I should very much like to apologize on his behalf."

What? Eilyssa raised an eyebrow. "Ietrin? What was he saying about me?"

Searle shook his head. "I don't care to repeat such garbage in the presence of a lady--but know that I, for one, do not believe a word the spews from his accursed mouth and am embarrassed to even be associated with a fool such as he. Rest assured that I, at least, find you to be a very charming young woman."

"Uh... thank you?" This was quickly becoming the most bizarre conversation she'd ever had.

With a motion so sudden that she scarcely knew it was happening, he took her in his arms and pulled her into a tight embrace. She had little enough knowledge as to how cousins might hug, but this didn't seem quite like she might have imagined; she would have never guessed that the small of her back felt so weak beneath his hand. "You're welcome. Anyway, I'll be leaving for Dovia on the twentieth--might we go for a walk on the nineteenth? I should very much like to get to know you."

Awkward, Eilyssa turned away. He could have kissed her if he leaned but a slight bit further--and in all honesty, she was rather curious as to what it might be like--but she didn't want to betray her father's trust. What good was the logic of 'only her cousin' if he kissed her anyway? Surely she'd never be allowed to stay home alone again if her parents ever got wind of this--and even if he didn't kiss her now, who was to say he wouldn't try during this walk? "Searle... I don't know..."

"I'm dying, Eilyssa." The words snapped her gaze to his eyes--unblinking, unyielding, pure fact. Her heart jerked upward and wedged itself in her throat; sure, he didn't exactly look to be in the best of health, but she never would have thought...

"Oh, I still have a few years," he added hastily, as if hoping to reassure her; if that had been his intention, it hadn't worked. "It's a slow sort of death, so the healers say. I'm still fine to walk about and travel and enjoy the company of young cousins, but there's nothing they can do for me. They say I might make twenty--twenty-five if I'm lucky--but they'll be astounded if I manage to live longer than that, and surely I'll be a bedridden mess by then."

His voice was free of fear and self-pity; it was unbiased and expository, as if describing the function of some common-place object. That was perhaps what frightened her the most. "So... will you walk with me on the nineteenth? I don't believe I'll ever have another chance to see you after that."

Eilyssa swallowed, then nodded; how could one refuse the request of a dying man? And what harm could a walk do, really? It wasn't as if he'd asked her to take off her dress and straddle him.

Smiling, Searle took hold of her hand and squeezed it, then turned around and headed toward the door. "Well, that's settled, then. I'll come by around sunrise, and it'll all be over before breakfast. And maybe don't mention this to anyone, all right? You're the only one I've told so far, and I don't much care for pity."

NEXT CHAPTER:

12 comments:

Ann said...

Ah, so Eilyssa is to be the sacrifical lamb, huh? I never even thought about her. Poor girl! T-T

I'm not sure Searle is doing the right thing here. He may think it's the kindest thing he can do to deceive her like that, but won't that make it all the worse when he abandons her to the monster(s)?

So, Roderick musst be rather pleased that it's just Eilyssa and not any (real) noble lady that lost the lottery. He does know doesn't he?

Van said...

Yes, Roderick does know--and he's probably quite relieved. Hell, he even has a personal thing with poor Lyssie :S

Searle... well, he never explicitly lied to her, but that doesn't mean he wasn't being deceptive. But can you really blame him? Asking someone to be a human sacrifice is probably pretty awkward :S

J A Murphy said...

Oh, I feel so dumb! Why didn't I make the connection with Searle and the sacrifice? Of all the people in the kingdom, poor Lyssie is probably the person Roderick has the least trouble with handing over to Deian. Will Geneva find out and return? That could be interesting.

I can see why Searle acted the way he did and not sure I disagree with it, making the girl feel special on her last day. On the flip side, not sure I totally agree with it either, though, it seems a little cruel to build her hopes up like that.

Anonymous said...

Noo! Not poor Lyssie!! :(

Of course Roderick knows. Jackass. This is exactly the way he would want it, too, since he seems to hold Lyssie's very existance against her.

Aldhein is going to ... flip isn't even the right word. Something more than flip. Go on a murderous rampage against Roderick or drink himself into an early grave, probably.

And as for Searle ... I think what he's doing is cruel. It's not "making her feel special on her last day" (or I don't think it is). It's deceiving her and leading her off to be killed. Was he even telling the truth about being a dying man?

The Lunar Fox said...

OH! I didn't make the connection either. Oh no, not Lyssie!

This whole entry is heart breaking. I keep thinking, "How could he?" She's so innocent and doesn't suspect a thing. He knows better. For being so young age-wise, he certainly is grown otherwise to manage to pull off a trick like this. I can imagine that he's not doing it because he's an evil person, but only because it's what has to be done and that alone is what makes him an adult in my mind.

Anonymous said...

OMG! I feel kinda stupid! I didn't even think about what was really happening until I read the first comment!

I'm not sure how to feel about Searle, I don't not like him but I don't like him either. I've no problem with what he's doing though; its gotta be done and he has no emotional connection to her so it makes sense.

Van said...

Illandrya: Funny that you should mention Geneva... but if she's going to do anything about it, she's only got three days, and she might be further than that away :(

As for Searle's means... well, they are pretty cruel, and yet a little kind at the same time. Searle strikes me as being the sort who's largely concerned with the greater good, never mind who has to get hurt for that to happen. He likes Lyssie, but the needs of the many and all.

Morgaine: This whole thing is almost suspiciously convenient for Roderick :S

Aldhein is going to be devastated. I mean, anyone would be, but at least Lorn and Octavius and Severin knew there was a chance that the victim might be one of their daughters/sisters/wives. Aldhein knows nothing about this, and to learn it all at once after the fact... yeah, he's going to be a wreck, to say the least :S

Like I said to Ann, Searle didn't outright lie to her about anything, but you don't have to lie to be deceptive. Searle is very much a diplomat--he won't speak a word if it isn't true, but he still knows how to be misleading if it suits his needs.

Lunar: Oh yeah, Searle is very grown-up for his age, in some senses. He knows what has to be done and the most efficient way of doing it, but he seems to have missed a couple of lessons--empathy, for one. He likes her, but clearly he has no qualms about handing her over as a human sacrifice :S

Chene: Searle is a bit of a puzzle--definitely the sort you can not like without exactly disliking. His intentions are good, but his methods are a bit brow-raising. It's probably a good idea to reserve judgement of him for now. We'll get his POV fairly soon, so I guess we'll see how that goes.

S.B. said...

what on earth...

manipulative and absolutely bent on getting what he wants, isn't he? My first reaction was very very bad, but then, I suppose you have to consider what Searle is dealing with.

very very mixed feelings. Mostly sympathy for her because she is just going to fall right into it, isn't she?

trying not to think of him as a monster...the needs of the one have to give way to the needs of the many and all that. Not that I believe that because it just stinks. But I understand it.

Van said...

That's pretty much the reaction I was expecting when I wrote this post :S

Poor Lyssie probably won't expect anything until it's too late. She just thinks she's going for a walk with her cousin :S

Penelope said...

Slimeball. I want to punch him in the teeth. Just soo calloused. I just... I want to punch him in the teeth.

Verity said...

I am a little confused by the family tree... are these guys actual cousins or step-cousins?

It sucks that it's going to be her... Aldhein is going to be so crushed. It seems a little convenient too...

She's too pretty to die Van!

I wonder what Searle has wrong with him... do we know what Karlspan died of? Is it the same thing?

Van said...

Pen: I'm sure you're not the first in which Searle has inspired that want :S

Verity: Searle's father was Geneva's brother, so they're first cousins. Also, this means that Searle's stepsiblings are also his first cousins.

Aldhein is going to just lose it--everything. Total devastation :(

She did turn out quite pretty. Coloring aside, she's probably the daughter who looks most like Geneva, who was always sort of pretty in her own way.

Karlspan died of... TB, I think? That's not genetic, but if it's common enough in that area of Dovia, then Searle could easily have that too. I haven't really looked into much at this point.