December 6, 2010

In Which Laralita Receives a Not-Quite Apology

February 3, 1171

"Well, I had to see it to believe it." The very notion had been so absurd that Laralita had first thought Elhina might have been playing some practical joke, but sure enough, here he was, the spitting image of his father with her own silky hair.

Searle acknowledged her with the briefest of glances. "Mother." He delivered the word with neither fondness or repulsion but a chilling, almost resigned neutrality; he might as well have said the word 'chair' or 'apple' or 'sky'.

Laralita pursed her lips and looked him over. The resemblance to her late husband was uncanny, really--down to the last heavy bag beneath his drooping eye. "Are you all right? You look ill."

"I'm fine." He pressed his hands to the cushions and propelled himself to his feet, a scowl curling on his thin mouth. "Forgive me if I seem curt, but you can't honestly believe that I came all the way from Dovia for a mere social call. When do you expect the king to return?"

"Not for another couple of hours." It was odd that he'd referred to Roderick by his title, now that she thought about it. Might he not have asked about his stepfather, or even just her husband? Ah, but perhaps Searle was of the variety who valued formalities--if that was the case, she could relate. "Come here and let me look at you."

Searle frowned. "You can see me from here."

"Yes, but not so well as I should like."

Sighing, her son crossed his arms and stepped toward her. Up close he appeared even paler and thinner than she might have guessed. It was unnerving--almost like seeing a ghost. "Are you sure you're all right?"

"Yes," he insisted. "I had a bit of a chill, but I'm over the worst of it now."

"Well, that's good to hear!" Laralita clasped her hands together and smiled. "So, how are things back in Bandera? How is old Wilcade doing--did he ever marry that girl?"

Karlspan's eyes--Searle's eyes, she corrected herself--narrowed. "You haven't seen me in twelve years and you're asking about the steward?"

"Oh, but I never did find out; after all, you never reply to my letters."

For some inexplicable reason, he laughed. Laralita raised an eyebrow; personally, she didn't see how that was funny. "Well, I'm sure Ietrin would have mentioned it at some point. He does return your letters, does he not? Seeing as he hasn't seen you since he was half a year old, I daresay they're the only source of parental memories the kid has."

Laralita nodded. "Yes, your brother is quite diligent with his correspondence, isn't he? But what about you? Is it just my letters you ignore, or do you make a point of alienating everyone you know?"

"Alienating?" He snorted. Where on earth had he picked up such a bizarre sense of humor? His Aunt Eldona, may she rest in peace, must have been a very strange woman. "Frankly, I'm a busy man and I don't have time to reply to every letter that finds its way to my desk; if that means that I have to alienate some people, then so be it."

"Oh, really?" She tried to restrain the furrow of her brow--she was getting to the age where wrinkles were becoming a concern, after all. "Well, if you're so busy, then why are you here?"

"King Oswald sent me here." Searle brushed a fallen hair off of his tunic; his clothing was a bit loose on him, Laralita noted. "Lord Severin wrote to him and told him about your problem with the forest dwellers, and he figured it couldn't hurt to send me to help sort things out--seeing as I do happen to be the most renowned diplomatic mind in Dovia, that is."

What? Laralita sniffed. "You can't be the most renowned diplomatic mind in Dovia. You're--how old are you, again? Thirteen?"

"Yes, Mother," he sneered, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "I'm thirteen--and, for the record, this isn't the first time the king has sent me to deal with conflicting powers."

"He trusts you, then?" Had she been Oswald, she wouldn't have been sending children on such errands, that was for sure--then again, Oswald had always been a bit odd.

Searle shrugged. "Well, he did let me marry his daughter, if that counts for anything. Thank you for bothering to show up at the wedding, by the way."

He was married? When had that happened? How did she possibly have a son who was old enough to be married? "You have a wife? What are you going to be telling me next? I can't be old enough to be a grandmother already!"

"Don't worry, you're not a grandmother." He leaned back a couple degrees and smirked. "At least, not for another three months or so, you're not. Anyway, we were thinking of naming the baby for Father if it's a boy, or for Ren's mother if it's a girl; after all, I'm sure both of them would have been actively involved in the kid's life had they been given the chance."

Laralita cocked her head to one side, the rim of her crown slipping somewhat against her scalp. "Are you trying to guilt me, Searle?"

"Oh, but whatever gave you that impression?" That caustic tone was back again. For the life of her, she couldn't remember him ever being so snarky; she shuddered to think of how Koradril and Eldona's own kids must have turned out thus far. "Really, Mother, I'm quite insulted."

Dear Lord! "Where did you get that tongue?"

"I believe I was simply born with it, Mother."

She sighed. There was no end to this, was there? "Is this really how your aunt and uncle raised you to act?"

"Oh, so you admit that they did raise me?" The words twisted into a rope and wrapped themselves around her neck, pulling tightly in both directions. She could not look at him without suffocating further, yet it seemed impossible to do otherwise. "You know what, never mind. Perhaps I was a bit out of line."

It was not quite an apology, but it would have to do for now. She doubted she could get anything more sincere out of him, this hollow shell of a young man; no doubt that she would have to send Koradril one long, scathing letter about this. For now, however, she would just have to live with her brother's mistakes--at least, the ones she couldn't fix herself. "Before your stepfather returns, should I send for the valet? You could use a little trim off the split ends, Piglet."

Searle stepped back and stared at her, his hands firmly on his hips and a foreign emotion in his eyes for which she had no name. "Never call me that again."

She opened her mouth to inquire as to why not, but it was to late. He'd already strode past her and into the corridor, the door shut tight with a deliberate thud!

NEXT CHAPTER:

13 comments:

Van said...

Koradril is Laralita's oldest brother. He and his now-deceased first wife lived with Laralita's sons until Searle was old enough to handle things on his own.

We saw Searle's wife once here, although this was about six years before they were married. As mentioned above, she's Oswald's eldest.

J A Murphy said...

Yay, I'm all caught up! What a wonderful world you have created here, Van. I have no idea how you keep track of everyone, I'm constantly diving into the profiles to remember who someone was. I have been voraciously lapping this up over the past week and am actually a little sad now that I now have to wait like everyone else.

That Laralita is some piece of work, I doubt I would have been anywhere near as polite as Searle was if my mother had forgotten about me like Laralita so obviously has.

I'm also a little concerned about what Deian has up his non-existant sleeve.

Van said...

Yay! *cue party music*

Thanks Illandrya. Glad to hear you're enjoying so far :)

Yeah, I think Searle deserves some credit. Laralita pretty much just traded in him and his brother for a new family when their father died and just left them there. Anyone would be bitter. Most people would have probably exploded here :S

We'll find out exactly what Deian's up to in the next post. Suffice to say it ain't going to pretty :S

Anonymous said...

I love this kid.

Van said...

What he does in the next post might change your mind. But he's an interesting fellow, for sure.

Anonymous said...

I was ready to SMACK that woman throughout the post! Good Lord, Laralita! You abandon a kid when he's four years old, never see him again, then expect him to be all hunky-dory with you as a parent? *facepalm*

I do like Searle so far, too. But now I'm just a wee bit nervous about what he's going to do. And nervous about his health. :( He doesn't need to be leaving a not-even-born baby without a father ...

Van said...

This was a new level of selfishness even for Laralita, for sure. It's like it didn't even occur to her that he might hold this against her :S

I like him too--and he's not about to do something bad, per se. He does have good intentions.

Don't worry too much about Searle's health. He's not about to kick the bucket any time soon.

S.B. said...

Laralita has to be the most breathtakingly stupid woman ever born. She just doesn't get it. She doesn't know 'it' is there. Trim his split ends? Wow...What control Searle has. He should have slapped her dumb face...ok no but damn.

LOVE the line about the wrinkles!!

Van said...

I'm not sure she's quite stupid, exactly. More like intensely, pathetically self-centered. It's like it doesn't even occur to her that he might not see things her way, or that there are even any other ways to see the situation in the first place.

After all these years, poor Searle might be just a little emotionally stunted. Either that or he has exceptional self-control for a sixteen-year-old boy.

Thanks Beth :)

Penelope said...

Yeah, I think that counts as stupid. To be that oblivious = stupid. I'm with Beth-- Searle has remarkable restraint and Laralita is an idiot.

Van said...

He definitely has some incredible self-control. I know I would have been a lot more openly bitchy in his place :S

Anonymous said...

You know, despite the fact that what she did was horrible and it must be frustrating to have clueless Laralita as a mother, you gotta admit at least Searle didn't get stuck with Ellona's scheming bitch of a mother. Laralita's not trying to be mean, she's just, like Van said, painfully self-centered. I just hope she manages realize this and attempts to get involved in her grandchild's life as a way to make up for past mistakes (it's all I can imagine she'd do. That, and re-decorate Searle's castle.)

Van said...

That is true--he could have had Elarys :S