May 14, 2011

In Which Raia Sees the One Way

April 24, 1174

Raia's aunt hadn't spoken a word to her since news of her first pregnancy had gotten out, so it had been something of a shock when the housekeeper had knocked on the bedroom door and told her that the queen was here to see her. Wondering if it was some sort of joke, she'd left the children with Riala and Maddie and told them she'd only be a minute, but sure enough--here she was, the estranged Aunt Laralita, hair bound and dressed for travel, a trace of urgency in her usually airy-fairy face. "Rahileine."

Her aunt was the only one of Raia's close family members who ever called her by her full name and it usually bothered her. This time, however, something told her that she ought to let it slide. "Aunt Laralita. What can I do for you?"

The queen folded her hands and bowed her head--a humble action Raia never would have expected from such a proud woman. A tear in the corner of her aunt's eye glistened in the firelight. This was also unnerving; Raia had never thought her deep enough for tears. "My son is dying."

Then again, something like that would bring out the depth in anyone. "Searle..."

Raia's cousin's illness was the worst-kept secret in Dovia and it had always been a matter of time--everyone had known that. But now that the time had come... "Oh my God."

Her aunt didn't even scold her for the blasphemy. She just closed her eyes and sighed. "Ietrin rode here as quickly as he could. Elhina and I are going back with him. It might be too late for all we know, but it's important." She dabbed her eyes with the corner of her shawl, then looked back up at Raia. It was a face she knew, and yet it belonged to a stranger. "Anyway, I was wondering about that friend of yours. That... savage..."

"Tavrin?" The queen nodded. Poor woman must have been desperate indeed. As much as Raia loved Tavrin, he was a little much for some people, and Aunt Laralita was just about as 'some people' as they came.

"Do you think that maybe...?" She trailed off, unable to continue, but it didn't matter. Her question was obvious.

If only the answer could have been so. Raia didn't need to be reminded that Tavrin's powers had their limits. He'd saved Florian all those years ago without a hitch, but Raia's mother had been a different story. Then again, whatever her cousin had, it certainly wasn't what had killed her mother. But that was another problem, wasn't it? No one was quite sure what Searle had. It could have easily been something outside of Tavrin's control.

But then again, who was to say that such was the case? The way Raia saw it, there was only one way they could know for sure. "I'll take you to him now. Just let me get my cloak."

NEXT CHAPTER:

11 comments:

Van said...

Hopefully this post actually stays up...

Also, for those of you who don't already know, I did technically update Wednesday night/Thursday morning (just before Blogger ate itself). It was a new SimFic50 that ended up getting lost in Blogger's recent shitfest. Fortunately, I archive my pictures and type out my posts offline, so I reposted to a duplicate blog, which can be found here:

http://therealmspeaker.blogspot.com/

Penelope said...

Er... Roderick et al lets Laralita go off by herself in the middle of the night?

And I didn't know that Raia knew how to find Tavrin. This should be interesting if Tavrin goes, particularly since I don't suppose that he has ever left Naroni.

Anonymous said...

... Does this mean that Laralita's brain is now deep enough to drown a worm in?

Seriously though, I hope Tavrin can help. I like Dying Searle (even if we're going to have to come up with a new nickname for him if he lives. Living Searle?). ... And maybe Tavrin, while he's there, can also perform a head-from-rear-ectomy on Laralita so she doesn't get a second chance with her son and then screw it up again.

Fingers crossed for Searle!

Chene303 said...

I really hope Tavrin can save Searle. The Searles are some of my favorite characters.

I find it ironic how Laralita didn't give one damn about her sons life while he had it but now, when he's about to lose it, she transforms into a caring person. I think that's how most people are really, we ignore the living and morn the dead.

Van said...

Pen: To be fair, it's the afternoon. And Ietrin is there. And probably some anonymous guards Laralita didn't see fit to mention ;)

Raia knows where Tavrin's "house" is. He didn't tell her until recently-ish (recall how she had trouble finding any sign of him while her mother was dying), but she knows now.

Tavrin has left Naroni before, but certainly never in the company of the Salty Dovans ;)

Morgaine: I guess so? It's probably only a matter of time until it reverts, though XD

I don't really see Searle giving Laralita a second chance if Tavrin saves him. As far as he's concerned, twenty years is plenty of time for multiple chances. I don't think he'd trust Laralita any further than he could throw her (and presently he can't even throw around his baby).

But if Tavrin could save him, then there's always more potential for DRAMA there...

Chene: Glad you like the Searles :)

That's some pretty profound insight there. Unfortunately, it's the truth :(

Penelope said...

Where is Tavrin going to get a tunic on such short notice? :p

Van said...

Florian's clothesline? :P

S.B. said...

My eyes are bugging out at the thought of Laralita having some kind of 'talk' with Tavrin. Even if he does find something to wear. Could Tavrin save him? I don't know what is killing Searle, or whether it's multiple things, but I hope it's possible. I kind of think it's not.

I guess Dying Son is more interesting to Laralita than one of five she can't even remember. He is her son, so she must feel bad. And even after 20 years of total BS from the stupid woman, maybe Searle would appreciate his mother's presence. He does seem to know this is it.

This is really sad. You're approaching it beautifully, but Searle's death is difficult to contemplate.

Van said...

As hilarious as Laralita and Tavrin's first meeting would be, it has to happen off-screen because it would interrupt the mood of the storyline XD

We know for sure that Tavrin can rid a person of parasites. It seems a reasonable guess that he can cure bacterial ailments as well. Autoimmune disorders are probably beyond his stretch. Viral ailments are a maybe.

Not sure exactly what Searle has, but it seems to be something similar to TB, which is bacterial. What he has could also be viral, though. I guess we'll see :S

I don't know if Searle will really appreciate seeing Laralita. If she brings Tavrin and he ends up saving him, he might feel some obligatory gratitude, but I don't think he intends to make amends at this point, especially since she doesn't seem to think amends need to be made.

Thanks Beth :)

The Lunar Fox said...

I'm surprised that Laralita knows about Tavrin. Was that something we've seen and I've forgotten? Or is Tavrin something of a source of gossip among the Naroni people.

But I was wondering when someone would think to pull Tavrin to Searle's rescue. I hope he can help because I really want to see much more of that particular Searle!

Van said...

Tavrin is something of an urban legend XD

I'd love to see more of Searle too, so here's hoping this works.