December 30, 2010

In Which Raia Proposes a Test

April 5, 1171

Raia watched as a couple of tiny snowflakes hit the surface of the window and melted on impact. Snow was unusual in Naroni, especially past February or so, and she had always been rather fond of the unique beauty of each flake, even though in such a climate they rarely survived the fall to the ground. Or perhaps that was partly why.

Not that there was much sense worrying over snowflakes. They melted and were reabsorbed by the air, falling again somewhere in some form over and over again--just as they had before she had ever been, just as they would long after she ceased to be. She would be best served directing her attention elsewhere.

"Raia?" She turned around to see Falidor return to the room, all nervous gait and goofy smiles as always. "Are you getting hungry? I made you some breakfast."

"You didn't have to do that." Silly man. He should have known by now that she was not the sort who needed to be pampered--not that she minded it, but it wasn't as if she insisted on it. Hell, from what she knew of love--from what she could learn from her sister's secret archive of their mother's diaries--she could tell that petty demands had no part in it. It was compromise. It was cooperation and it was equality. No ridiculous expectations or screaming orders such as those an ill-tempered master gave to a difficult servant; that was not love. That was not even like.

It was a little troublesome, really, just how much of her time was spent thinking about love these days. She hoped she hadn't left her brain at the door.

"I know I didn't have to." He took her by the hand and smiled, the light in his eyes putting the dancing snowflakes to shame. "I wanted to; it's a gesture."

A gesture. She could live with that--a man who made gestures. She wondered how many gestures he might have made to Ailede in some vain attempt to win her love. Several, probably--all scorned and none returned. Raia resolved to surprise him with a gesture of her own some time soon; meanwhile, the least she could do was appreciate this one. "Well, thank you; I'm a little hungry, I suppose."

Falidor smirked. "All right, but I should warn you that I'm a terrible cook."

"Well, that's certainly inconvenient, because I've never had to boil water in my life!" It was the truth; her family had always had a cook in the kitchen, and she'd never been the sort of girl who figured food preparation might have been fun, so she'd never tried and really had no desire to start now. "Maybe you could hire a housekeeper? If it's a matter of money, I could ask my father--"

"Oh, it's not that I can't afford one," he insisted--as if he thought she cared about money! "I can't hire a housekeeper just yet, missy, because you are always spending the night and word would spread like wildfire if someone else was around while you were."

"Well, if you'd like a good meal once in a while, we could find somewhere else to meet."

Falidor shook his head. "No thanks--who needs a good meal when they have you?"

A little weak around the knees, she stood on her toes and kissed him; she thought she tasted honey on his lips. "I just wish I could just live here openly; I don't really care if people start calling me a home-wrecking slut, you know. I'd rather be a home-wrecking slut than a woman who's forcing you to live off your own cooking."

"I'm not sure your father would agree."

Again with her father? She had to laugh. "Falidor, have you not met my father?"

He shrugged. "You'd be surprised what sort of hypocrites men can be when it comes to their own daughters."

"Well, just give him a little test." She pouted as she batted her lashes; she knew she was too lanky and boyish to be truly pretty, but when one spent early adolescence wanting to sneak past guards and weasel her way out of trouble, one learned how to use her only startling features to their full advantage. "My father always says that you should make your own decisions, because people who care don't matter and people who matter don't care. Perhaps you ought to see if he cares or matters."

Sighing, Falidor leaned back and pushed his hand through his hair; she was relieved to see that his hairline showed no hint of recession. "Raia, he's your father--and our lord, at that. Of course he matters."

"Then he won't care."

He didn't look convinced--poor, silly man. Raia inclined her head, resorting to the full effect of her eyes once more. "Falidor, I've told you a hundred times that I'll marry you in January whether my father likes it or not; we might as well ask if we can have a bit of a head-start, or at least give him time to get used to the idea."

A fond-yet-exasperated grin on his face, Falidor's eyes flickered to the ceiling. "I don't know..."

"He could help us, you know."

"Yes, but I can't imagine he would." He took a lock of her hair in his hand and and wove it through his fingers. "But since I can see that you're in a brave mood, we might as well stop postponing the inevitable and go down for breakfast already; I can assure you that my cooking requires almost as much courage as talking to your father."

NEXT CHAPTER:

11 comments:

Van said...

Okay, here's the reason why I keep postponing the next Ashelia:

It has nothing to do with the next chapter, really. I know exactly how that one's going to pan out, but where I'm stuck is the pictures for the chapter after, which given my obsession with preview pics is stalling production.

That chapter... well, I know what is going to happen, but I don't know how it's going to happen, and while I have taken pictures before without knowing the how just yet, in this case I need to know how before I know where, if that makes any sense. Ridiculous, I know, but I'm totally stumped right now :(

thewynd said...

I am glad to see that Falidor is at least getting more comfortable with Raia being there...am I right that they haven't slept together yet as in having sex, not the sleeping part?

I don't know why but as much as I think Severin is open-minded and given his experience loving someone you shouldn't, I am still not sure he is going to be overjoyed by this news.

Van said...

Yep. They haven't had sex yet, although she has slept in his bed several times by now.

As for Severin, I wouldn't be counting on his absolute acceptance either. He's a pretty open-minded guy and he has his own experience, but it is The Times and like Falidor said, people do seem to have stricter standards for their own children :(

Anonymous said...

Holy cow, they're going to tell Severin. *ducks away from impending nuclear explosion*

They are adorable together, though. And I had to giggle at Raia wondering if she'd left her brain at the door. I think it's safe to say that if she's able to wonder that, her brain must still be sloshing around her ears somewhere, right? :)

One last thing -- has anyone else been having problems with the word verification thingamajig? I usually have to refresh the comment window to get it to show up.

Penelope said...

Hooo, boy! I would not take Raia with me to have that conversation if I were Falidor. Meek Falidor, humbly asking permission to marry his lord's daughter while said daughter interrupts that they are not really asking for permission, they are TELLING him. Even with Severin's lax "my children should marry for love" attitude, that would be an outrage. They should at least give Severin the appearance of asking. Not polite for Raia to be there anyway. Kinda sorta men's business in a time where women are chattle.

And Falidor's right. No way he could let a housekeeper in there.

He made some valid points to his sister about Raia's age and impetuousness though. Is that still a hesitation for him? Has he talked to her about it or does he think that he would hurt her? It would be a much bigger mistake, I think, if he had considered that her feelings might be fleeting and still married her than if he had talked it out first. But of course, she is so besotted and inexperienced that she would give him her honest thoughts and feelings and they could still turn out to be wrong. But she has known him for her entire life. She has few illusions about Falidor as a person but as a husband could be an entirely different story. Not that that last one isn't a risk that tons of people take everyday. :p

Penelope said...

Morgaine:

Yep, I have been experiencing that problem too but I am so used to blogger being sucky that it just seems like a par for the course.

Van said...

Morgaine: Now, now. They could easily be discussing trade routes up there :P

Yeah, she seems to still have something up there. With any luck, it'll stay that way.

I'm not sure what's happening with the word verification. I haven't noticed that myself, but I've heard people complain about it on other sites. Hopefully Blogger can fix that :S

Pen: Giving Severin the illusion would either make him feel much better about the whole situation or maybe a little insulted. I guess it's a toss-up at this point. I still haven't quite decided how he's going to react, although I think I know which way I'm leaning now.

Raia's really young and could easily change her mind, even if she honestly wants him at this point in time, and I think Falidor knows that. But you're right when you say she does know pretty much exactly who he is as a person, although being married to him could change that.

J A Murphy said...

Raia may be young, true, but (if I'm remembering correctly) her parents knew who they wanted to be with when they were even younger than she - and for the time period in which this is set it's really not that young. I don't see her changing her mind anytime soon. She strikes me as "older" than other girls her age.

I'm still not sure which way Severin will go when Falidor confronts him. If it were one of his sons, not a problem, but his firstborn daughter - is Severin is liberal-minded enough to take that lying down? Although as Falidor is his wife's brother, he probably has to be careful or he may be sleeping on the couch for a long time to come.

I'm glad I'm not the one who has to make the decision :)

Van said...

She's very mature for her age--poor kid had to grow up pretty fast after her mother died, with all those younger siblings and her dad in his slump. But yeah, she's the same age as Lorn and Leara, and her own parents were pretty dead gone on each other from Day One (although they might not have always acted like it).

As for Severin's... err, "decision", if we can call it that... stay tuned, I guess? :P

S.B. said...

I love the sweet banter between them!

And I cannot imagine Severin being anything but stunned and appalled and outraged. Can Raia actually marry against his wishes? Can't he send her away somewhere? Marry her quickly to someone else?

Van said...

Thanks Beth :)

Legally, Raia can marry against Severin's wishes, but he has the right to petition for an annulment or disown her or whatnot. But I don't think he'd do that, nor do I think he'd send her away or marry her off to someone more suitable. He'd get over it, but the question would be how long it would take :S