September 25, 2011

In Which Isidro Gives His Gratitude

April 14, 1176

"Well, I'll be damned." Isidro eased himself from Casimiro's embrace and glanced back and forth between his two cousins. When the steward had informed him that there were two men here to see him, he'd just assumed it was Jadin and Sparron again, wanting to go for another hunt or some archery practice or whatnot. Instead, here were two faces from the past he'd never expected to see again, two faces he'd missed in spite of himself. "Out with it--how did you idiots know where to find me?"

Bernardo reached in an attempt to ruffle his hair, which Isidro barely managed to dodge. His cousin chuckled. "Well, Cas told me the truth about 'Searle' after we went our separate ways, so we figured you took Riona back here and maybe we could get some information from Lord Severin. Imagine our surprise when he told us you were now his son-in-law." He leaned forward and grabbed Isidro by the arm, smirking at the sight of the ring on his finger. "I hope you don't mind me saying, cousin, but I can't wait to see the look on your father's face when we tell him you got married."

"Yes, well..." Well what? He knew what his father would say. It wasn't all that long ago when he would've said it too. "How was the crusade?"

Bernardo didn't look like he appreciated the sudden change of subject, but he seemed to understand. Casimiro, of course, understood even better. "Not worth mentioning. Some other group beat us to everything your father wanted to do, so we called it quits and headed back. Augustin and your father caught a ship in Italy and we came back through here."

"I take it he went out of his way to avoid Naroni, then."

"Pretty much."

His eyelids suddenly a little heavy, Isidro glanced up at the chandelier dangling above Casimiro's head. Somehow his cousins seemed even taller than they'd been the last time he'd seen them. Were they still growing? It was a discouraging thought, but it beat the idea of him shrinking.

Then again, he didn't think he'd ever felt taller in his life. "The thought of seeing my father-in-law again must have scared him off. Neither of you had similar reservations, I take it?"

"Of course not." Chuckling to himself, Bernardo pushed past his brother and stationed himself at Isidro's side, one hand on his shoulder. "You've been here a few months now; you've seen the variety of beautiful women they have here. Hell, maybe I'll start looking for a knighthood around here myself."

Casimiro rolled his eyes, his mouth falling agape as if to respond, but the door to the sitting room had opened before he could. "Isidro, the cooks and the maids are fighting again--oh."

Hilla paused, her black eyes flitting back and forth between the two guests. "I see you have company."

A dazed, goofy kind of look on his face, Bernardo smirked. "Case and point."

Riona's friend raised an eyebrow. She probably had some sense of what he was talking about, but couldn't know for sure--of course, knowing Bernardo, she would soon enough. "Boys, this is Riona's friend Hilla. Riona's been feeling a bit under the weather this past week or so, so Hilla's been staying with us and keeping things running on her behalf. Hilla, these are my cousins, Casimiro and--"

"Bernardo," the older brother introduced himself, taking her by the hand and anointing it with a kiss. "And I see now that your famed Naroni lilies are not the fairest thing in your kingdom after all."

A trace of disbelief in her eye, Hilla giggled. "You must be new in these parts."

"Care to remedy that for me, my lady?"

"And run the risk of a handsome man like you meeting my far lovelier friends? I think not."

"If they are indeed lovelier, then perhaps it's best I don't meet them; surely no sight more radiant than yourself can be met by mortal eyes without leaving them blinded." He pressed her hand to his lips once again, then lowered it to her side, his fingers still lingering upon hers. "But might I at least have a tour of my cousin's castle?"

Amused, indulgent, maybe a little intrigued, Hilla looped her arm around his and grabbed hold of the doorhandle. "That can be arranged."

She charged back into the next room, Bernardo willingly in tow. As the door swung closed behind them, Casimiro snickered. "I'm guessing we won't see either of them for a while."

Still not entirely sure what had just happened, Isidro shook his head. "No, probably not."

Casimiro sent on last gleeful glance toward the door, then turned to Isidro, a little more serious. Had something happened on the crusade, perhaps? Was there something he wanted Isidro to know? "Anyway, I don't know how long we'll be staying, but when we do go back... well, is there anything you want me to tell your father? Surely you must have something to say to his disowning you that you couldn't say to his face?"

Oh. Just that. So much for worrying. "Yes, actually. Tell him I said 'Thank you'."

NEXT CHAPTER:

11 comments:

Van said...

There is a slight chance I might not be able to update Realmspeaker tomorrow--not due to any problems with the game or the story outline, just might not have time. It probably won't be an issue, but I just thought I'd give the heads up just in case.

Penelope said...

A trace of disbelief in her eye, Hilla giggled. "You must be new in these parts."

"Care to remedy that for me, my lady?"


For some reason, I thought that there was double entendre at work here, and it was HIlla's parts that Bernardo wanted to get better acquainted with.

Okay Isidro, you are a knight with a warm, cushy home now. Not a crusader. It's time to pull a comb through that mop.

Glad to see that he has so thoroughly rejected the need for his father's approval that haunted him for his entire life.

Van said...

It could very well be XD

Ha! I honestly just haven't found another hair that I liked so much on Isidro. I guess no one's immune to a makeover at any point, though.

Yeah, I think Isidro's pretty much done with Domingo. For now.

Penelope said...

That "for now" was somewhat ominous. :o

Van said...

Just a little :S

Orilon said...

Oh. Just that. So much for worrying. "Yes, actually. Tell him I said 'Thank you'."

That may seem a little weird at first, but he is much better off now than when he was following Domingo around trying to get the approval that wasn't going to come.

Exasperating as they can be sometimes (and as dysfunctional as well) his in-laws seem to know how to love better.

Epi said...

I actually really liked this update, Bernardo and Hilla were very amusing. I kind of hope the cousins stick around for a bit and make waves!

Anonymous said...

Aww, Bernardo and Hilla were sorta-kinda-adorable there! I see another Arydath-Tarien-like story coming along. Only Hilla won't be quite as hostile as her mother was originally.

And I'm so happy his cousins came to visit him! :D See Isidro, you are loved. Just not by your asswipe of a father.

But ... wow, that was a quick crusade. Did Domingo et al. actually make it to Jerusalem? Or did they just stop off in Constantinople, or ...?


Still, awesome update!

Van said...

Orilon: Yeah, Izzy's definitely better off here :)

I think the in-laws are the family he always secretly wanted.

Epi: They did seem like the sort of characters I could just throw together without any build-up ;)

As for whether or not either of these guys sticks around, we shall see.

Morgaine: I don't know, Hilla's pretty receptive right off the bat. This may just be harmless flirting. Or it may be a big shiny case of Love at First Sight.

(Oooh... and if it was... well, I can't imagine Hilla's having a whirlwind romance would do much for Rona's morale...)

The cousins were always kind of fond of him. Casimiro in particular was always quite close to Isidro; Bernardo not so much, but he does have a certain fondness for him.

Yeah, I think they just called it quits somewhere along the line. Not making great progress, I guess XD

Thanks everyone :)

S.B. said...

I love that final shot right across the bow! Oh hell yes, thank you.

Hilla stepped right up and grabbed the boy, didn't she? At first I thought wait a minute, don't do that, these are some seriously dysfunctional people, but I really love it.

Van said...

Thanks Beth :)

Heheh. I think Bernardo saw something he liked and went for it. So did Hilla. We'll see where that goes ;)