August 28, 2011

In Which Lonriad Does Something Rude

December 11, 1175

"My lady." Lonriad bowed his head and pressed his lips to Rona's hand. Considering her lack of gloves, it was surprisingly warm. "I hope the ride wasn't too disagreeable?"

Rona beamed like the spring sun--a welcome change from all the snow. Lonriad had to swallow back a surge of guilt. As far as he knew, Rona had been led to believe that the afternoon had been his idea, and while he didn't care to lead girls on it did seem like the best way to go about this. Her brother had spent the last few months pestering Lonriad's father about a match, and while that was the last thing the old man cared to do, he'd managed to get Lorn off his back by suggesting a brief period of 'throw them together and see what happens'. So Lonriad was playing along; on the advice of his father, he'd sent word to Lorn requesting an afternoon with Rona, even though he doubted anything would come of it.

But it wouldn't be a total waste of a day. Even if he didn't feel that way about her, she was a pleasant enough girl.

"Of course not," she answered as the last few flakes drifted downward and settled alongside their fellows. "I daresay the crisp air is quite refreshing. Wouldn't you agree, Aspen?"

Rona's maid gave a disapproving sniff. After Jadin had knocked up Xeta, Lorn had forbidden Rona from going out unchaperoned and it seemed that this time, Aspen had drawn the short straw. Had Lonriad been in Lorn's position, he wasn't sure he'd deem a scrawny fifteen-year-old sufficient supervision, but then again Aspen was a different sort entirely. "Sir."

"Mistress Torgleid." She winced. In her mind, his voice must have sullied her name. He wasn't sure what he'd done to make her dislike him so, but then again he supposed it didn't matter. She was only the help, after all.

"So I can't help but notice that the snow ceases upon your arrival." He plastered on a grin and returned Rona's hand to her side. Her blush was nearly the shade of her cranberry coat. "It would seem the seasons turn on the cue of your smile."

Aspen rolled her eyes; Rona, however, giggled. "Then given recent years, I haven't been smiling enough."

"A pity indeed." He could keep this up all day and she would probably let him--even play along. It was an interesting change, but he wasn't sure how long he could go without tiring of it. Maybe he'd miss Asalaye telling him to knock it off and then having to retaliate with some crack about her nose.

But maybe it was better that way, seeing as Rona's nose was dainty and petite and cute as a button. Even had it not been, what could he say to her? She was a sensitive little thing, a lady--not at all like snippy little rancher's daughters who gave as well as they took.

"I trust you've been well?"

"Well enough since last you saw me." That somehow seemed inefficient. He'd have to try a little harder. "Although I could swear you've grown in beauty since then."

Better. The batting of her eyes was a positive sign. "You do flatter me."

She was a sweet girl, really. Had he been born into some other family, perhaps a betrothal to a girl like Rona wouldn't have been much of a tragedy, but he was the fifth child of a pair of star-crossed soulmates and his four older siblings had all married for love with little or no opposition from their father. If he were denied that chance as well, he might have resented his arranged bride--no matter who she was, how otherwise pleasant he found her. He just wished he could have been honest with her here.

"A blonde and a redhead. Typical afternoon for you, I take it?"

Well. Now maybe he had to be honest with her. "Laya?" Sure enough, a pig-tailed, hook-nosed figure had emerged from the front door and filed down the steps, her face mostly ambiguous but more smug than anything else. "How long have you been here?"

"At least an hour, stupid. My father has business with your father and I tagged along to visit your sister. Guess for once my nose slipped in under yours."

Now this... this was what he'd had in mind. If Rona had possessed any... err, characteristic features, he doubted she would have called any attention to them. He couldn't blame her, though. There just weren't many girls like Asalaye.

Lonriad smirked. "That's no small feat."

"And you should be both impressed and ashamed."

"Don't think I'm not." Beside him, Rona squirmed, fighting to keep a straight face; Aspen, meanwhile, looked the closest she'd been to smiling since she'd arrived. "I see you didn't make the mistake of thinking you could leave without saying hello, though."

Asalaye snorted. For a nose that large, it was a rather inoffensive sound. "More like saying goodbye, dimwit. But if you just plan on standing here all day, I couldn't have hoped to avoid you on the way out."

"Fair enough--plus I can't imagine that nose can get past me twice in one day."

"I wouldn't bet on that if I were you." She snickered, the grin on her face contagious to the point where only Rona seemed immune. Satisfied, she tightened the ties of her cloak. "Well, I'm supposed to meet Cord in the village. See you around, Lonriad."

Rona cleared her throat. "That would be Sir Lonriad to you."

"Why should it be? He's not a knight yet." Before Rona could respond, Asalaye had given Lonriad a pat on the shoulder and had brushed past the horses on the way to the gate. It was probably rude to stare after one girl for longer than a couple seconds if there were others present, but sometimes it was difficult to care.

NEXT CHAPTER:

7 comments:

Van said...

After taking the shots for the next two posts--they run right together so it made more sense to do one continuous shoot--I have decided that I really, really need GunMod back (I miss my pretty, atmospheric fires!). But something tells me I probably shouldn't put it back in until I've installed the next two EPs.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with that "something." Since you'd have to update it all anyway, it makes more sense, to me at least, to just do it once an have that be an end of it. :)

(By the way, you might want to look into Hat's edit of Gunmod -- Gunmod itself never managed to work properly for me, but Hat's edit is stunning!)

And Lonriad ... er, he turned my stomach a little here. Rona is not going to take his flirtation in the spirit in which it is meant, i.e., as lighthearted, nonsensical, meaningless banter. She's entirely capable of taking him seriously, and responding in kind ... which means that Lonriad is really just leading her on.

*sigh* There has to be some other good guy in the kingdom for Rona, doesn't there?

Van said...

True that :P

Hat's edit does look quite nice. I'll be looking into it ;)

This post was a bit difficult to write because Lonriad was definitely being a jerk here. I don't think he felt good about it, but he knew what he was doing and I don't think he considered that Rona might be taking him seriously :S

I do have an idea for Rona... but it's a bit far-fetched, so I'm not sure if I'll go through with it at this point. If not, I'll have to come up with something else.

Orilon said...

Since Lonraid Jr. doesn't seem to have the "have sex with everything that moves" tendency like his namesake or older brother, I doubt he really needs a chaperone, but he wasn't doing himself or Rona any favors by leading her on there.

Although I have to say this post is making me wonder about Aspen.

Van said...

Ha! Yeah, I think Jadin got the lion's share of the slutty genes :P Still, he could have handled this a lot better :S

There's definitely something up with Aspen. We'll find out exactly what it is before the end of 1175 ;)

S.B. said...

Just when I was feeling kind of sorry for Rona, she comes out with that snippy remark about Lonriad's title. I guess I can't really blame her, though. There wasn't much else she could use, and the chemistry between Lonriad and Asalaye is obvious. A rude and uncomfortable moment all round (except for Aspen).

I recently installed the lighting mod (which is no longer supported by Gunmod and it has another name). It scared me to install it since it places script in all the EP program files. If you're going to install more EP's, you should definitely wait. I've seen Hat's version, and for what you're doing, it will probably be a better choice.

Van said...

Rona is certainly capable of being snippy if the moment requires. She is kind of feeling the pressure with Lonriad--he's the currently the only bachelor of a suitable age and class for her without leaving Naroni, and Rona doesn't want to leave. Things are going okay, then some big-nosed farm girl shows up and he's gone. Frustrating :S

The lighting mod is no longer being supported? :S I've heard it reacts kind of weirdly with EPs from some people and not from others, and I'm guessing it's because some people install the EPs after the lighting mod. Seems like the thing to do would be get all the EPs in place first.

At this point, Hat's version is looking to be the better option.