August 12, 2011

In Which Isidro Is Stubborn in Turn

August 4, 1175

"For the last time, absolutely not!" Isidro's father crossed his arms and scowled. "I can't believe we're still debating this. We're already a day behind schedule thanks to your idiotic charity and I refuse to waste any more time on this than we already have."

"This?" He hadn't expected his father to handle it well--at all--but he'd figured he could at least expect humanizing pronouns out of the man. Well, he'd figured wrong. "The 'this' we're discussing is a little girl. We have to do something."

His father sniffed. "And what do you propose we do, then? Find her a home? If anyone in this village gave a rat's ass as to whether she lived or not, they would have already taken her in."

"Yes, but maybe in the next village--"

"Yes, but what if you can't find anyone who wants her there either?" His father's brows furrowed to a sharp 'v' and a branched vein flashed in his forehead like a bolt of lightning. For Domingo, there was a fine line between basic human compassion and an inconvenience. He didn't want to go out of his way. That much Isidro got. "I'm not hauling around an infant until we can find some place to drop her--which could very well be never, might I remind you!"

"But she's just a baby!" And why couldn't Domingo see that? This wasn't like all those times Isidro had begged him for a pet. "We can't just leave her here!"

"Well, I don't see why we shouldn't."

That was it. When Domingo had his mind made up, there was no convincing him otherwise. Frankly, Isidro wasn't sure why he'd bothered. Then again, the only way to argue with someone so stubborn was to be stubborn in turn. "And I don't see how we could. Go on ahead if you want, but I need to make sure she's going to be taken care of. I'll catch up with you later."

His father remained unmoved. Big surprise. "Well, if you really want to take pity on an unwanted orphan pest, then I can't stop you. But if you won't leave with us tomorrow morning, then don't bother meeting up with us at all. Think about it."

NEXT CHAPTER:

9 comments:

Van said...

Sorry if this was a bit rushed. I woke up early and figured I'd try to get this up before people started showing up at my house.

*runs off to make brownies*

Anonymous said...

A BABY??? From the last post I gathered that the little girl was at least six or seven. Don't know why I did, but I did.

And Domingo, geez. Whatever happened to "suffer the little children to come unto me"? And that bit about how you treat the least of those is equivalent to how you treat the Lord? Why do you claim to be fighting for God if you don't pay attention to the word the guy said?

But you know what? I hope Isidro stays behind. Good riddance to Domingo and his issues. I'm sure that if Isidro married Riona, Severin would do something for them. Well, after he killed Riona, naturally. ;)

And in other news -- OMG I have Internet!!! *does happy dance and goes to check Ashelia*

Van said...

Off the top of my head, I'm not sure exactly how old she is. Less than two, though :S Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Domingo is... well. I think most people have met someone like that at some point. Holier-than-thou without being holy at all.

But yeah, I can't imagine Severin turning them away, especially if they have a helpless little orphan with them.

Yaaaaay internet! :D

Epi said...

Just realised I have been reading and not commenting for a while, how rude of me. I do apologise!

Honestly, this little arc is something I'd been hoping would happen (not the deaths of those poor parents, obviously) but a situation like this that would drive Isidro to really stand against Domingo.

Hopefully it will give Riona the kick in the pants she needs to remember that she needs to go and let her family know she is safe.

Van said...

Don't worry about it. If my stats are any indication, the percentage of readers who actually comment is quite slim. I definitely wouldn't call it rude ;)

Yeah, Isidro is going to have to figure things out pretty quickly. Does he care more about getting Daddy's respect, or making sure Riona gets home safe and the baby gets a new home? We'll find out in the next post.

As for Riona... well, we'll see... ;)

Orilon said...

*Wonders where Izzy got his caring from, because obviously he didn't get it from his dad*

Even though he claims to be a skeptic, Isidro better shows what Christianity should be most of the time than Domingo or the crusaders that killed the little girl's parents.

Van said...

Irony concerning religion seems to be almost a motif in this story. Oh-so-Christian Domingo won't bend a finger to help a little orphan girl while Izzy the skeptic campaigns for her welfare. It is a bit strange when you think about it.

Joseph said...

Hmmm if it weren't for Domingo then actually I'd want Izzy and Riona to keep the baby. Then I'd know if Izzy is good with children. (I kinda have the feeling that Riona will be good with children.)

You know when you start repeating certain words to yourself? I'm doing that with Isidro. I love that name.

Van said...

I wonder if it's occurred to Izzy that keeping the baby is an option ;)

I'm sure Riona is good with kids because she has little siblings. As for Izzy, I suppose we'll have to see.

Heheh... that name does just roll off the tongue, doesn't it? :P