August 1, 2011

In Which Isidro Is Bothered by an Impractical Concern

July 16, 1175

"So." Isidro shut the door behind him and stretched out on the empty side of the bed. Over the course of his life he'd been allowed little satisfaction, but being right had usually left him feeling more smug and secure than he was now. Maybe he just needed to gloat. "I had a little chat with Casimiro."

Riona's brow twitched. Was she trying to play dumb? Or was she being noble--just in case he hadn't known? "Oh?"

If the latter, though, then her subtlety wasn't necessary. "Told you that you weren't his type."

She laughed. At least she was in good spirits about the whole thing. "Want to know something strange?"

"Like why you're taking it so well?" And why he wasn't? "Maybe."

"I'm not even disappointed." As if to prove it, she flicked a strand of hair out of her face and grinned. "If anything, I'm happier now, just being friends with Casimiro. It's like I didn't really fancy him at all; I just thought I did."

"Oh." Well, that was... interesting. And convenient--for the two of them, anyway. He just hoped they could keep each other's respective secrets. "Well, that's... good?"

"It's great." Riona flashed him another smile, then turned her pretty blue eyes to the ceiling. An icy chill ran through Isidro's spine like it always did when he was looking at her looking away. "Although I imagine Rona will kill me if I don't bring a man home."

Isidro frowned. Like everyone else, Riona had her practical worries and her impractical ones, and this was certainly not of the former category. For some reason, it bothered him--even moreso than most ridiculous concerns--but if she was begging for a reply, then he would give her one. "Well, good luck with that, then."

NEXT CHAPTER:

5 comments:

Van said...

For anyone following my other stories, there is now a poll up at the new blog.

Anonymous said...

So she doesn't care, hmm?? Gosh, I wonder why that might be ... *innocent face*

And I agree with Isidro that Riona worrying about not bringing a man home is an impractical worry. It's like ... worrying about not getting a white Christmas when it's Dec. 24 and the middle of a blizzard.

Save your worries for something that's within the sphere of practical possibility. ;)

Van said...

Heheheh :P

LULZ at your White Christmas comparison. It is pretty much like that, isn't it? Although I think Isidro would deny it and just argue that the concern is stupid because it's trivial ;)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm pretty certain that Riona isn't going to need any luck in that regard. Though she and Isidro are going to be stupid for a while longer, aren't they?
- Scribal Goddess

Van said...

That is a strong possibility :P