April 19, 2011

In Which Sparron Is Betrayed

October 8, 1173

It was a fucking perfect day for a wedding.

The June sun was shining in spite of the fact that it was October. The morning birds sung even though it was late afternoon. The autumn leaves shone their rich red-gold as they fluttered to the green grass and blue waters below, the fall gales slowing to a gentle breeze as if out of some divine sense of courtesy. The ceremony had gone off without a problem and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves at the reception, dining at a table set with a splendid feast and dancing to the stylings of the finest musicians in the kingdom. To top it all off, the queen had gone into labor that morning and she and the king were therefore unable to attend.

But the pair of them could have been seated on either side of Sparron, yapping into his ear without relent for all he cared. The food could have been rotting and maggoty and the music could have been provided by his little brothers and a set of pots. A foot of snow could have coated the barren landscape and the wind could have been ruthless. The birds could have been dead, and the sun likewise. He couldn't even be sure that he'd notice. He couldn't be sure of anything anymore.

Not for the first time, he wondered why he'd even bothered coming. If he'd been smart, he might have faked an illness or broken his leg or something. He should've known that he wasn't strong enough to handle this.

Searle--married. What a joke. The sadistic angels above must have been laughing their halos off. Well, Sparron didn't see what was so funny. Supposedly merciful God creates a vile sinner and tortures him just for the shits and giggles--like that was anything to laugh at. Perhaps he would just hang himself and be done with it all. Who would miss him, anyway? Surely not Searle--not when he had a wife. Perhaps his family might grieve, but would that have been true if they'd known any better? Sparron doubted it. No one mourned a degenerate.

The music and laughter from the next room fell like shattered glass into his bleeding ears. The knock at the door would have been a relief had it not heralded someone's arrival. "What?"

The door opened and in stepped Searle's fairytale bride, all white gown and pink flowers. Just looking at her made him nauseous, thinking about her and Searle and all their blue-eyed freckly brats. He'd never even seen her before today and he loathed her already. How dare she intrude on him like this? If he retreated to an empty room during a party, then wasn't it obvious that he wanted to be alone?

"I'm sorry. I saw you come in here a while ago and I haven't seen you since." She fiddled with her wedding band as she spoke; he wanted nothing more than to tear the damn off her finger and crush it to a fine gold powder. "Are you all right?"

Sparron sniffed. "Fan-fucking-tastic."

She didn't even flinch at the sound of the expletive. She was exactly the sort of girl Lord Severin would want for a daughter-in-law. Sparron wondered if he would have wasted her on Searle if he'd known better. "Do you mind if I sit down?"

"I imagine you will whether I do or not." He was right about that; she'd seated herself beside him before he even had a chance to finish.

"You're Sparron, aren't you?"

Sparron's hand twitched. A lucky guess, no doubt. Or maybe she'd met his father previously and just assumed a relation. "And you're Arletta."

"My friends call me Lettie."

"We're not friends."

She turned and stared at him, though she looked neither shocked nor hurt; if anything, she looked like she pitied him. It was insulting. "I know you must hate me right now, but nothing's going to change. Searle and I talked it over, and I told him--"

"He told you?" The blood in his veins chilled to an icy hardness. His heart raced to compensate and his head began to spin. Yes, Searle was reckless, but to have actually told someone? How could Searle have betrayed his trust like that? Didn't he realize what he'd done? "He--"

Arletta sighed. "Please, just listen--"

"Get out."

"Sparron--"

"Out!"

Shaking her head, she pulled herself to her feet and made her way toward the room's entrance. Either she was defeated or she'd realized that he wasn't worth her time--both, perhaps. "It was nice to finally meet--oh, sorry," she apologized as she collided with another body at the door.

"No, I should have knocked," answered Camaline's voice, unreadable as always. "Congratulations, by the way. I'd say more, but I wouldn't want to keep you from your own party."

"I'll talk to you later, then."

"I look forward to it." Arletta smiled, then hurried back into the dance hall--right into Searle's outstretched arms, no doubt. Camaline watched her for a minute or so before finally closing the door behind her and taking a seat beside Sparron.

"She's pretty."

Sparron slumped forward, catching himself with a hand to the forehead. "I'll take your word for it."

There was a faint rustling as she crossed and uncrossed her legs beneath her skirts. Camaline was much for reassurance, but she was all he had; he couldn't begrudge her for failing if she was willing to try. "You're not comfortable here, are you?"

Was it that obvious? Ah hell, who was he kidding? Of course it was. "Can we leave?"

Camaline took a long breath, then rose from the couch and stepped away. "I'll tell your father you have a headache."

NEXT CHAPTER:

15 comments:

Van said...

Extras will be updated later. I have to leave pretty soon.

Penelope said...

I can't even feel bad for him. After everything he put Searle through and HE'S the victim?? Puh-leez.

And then there's Lettie, who I know was just trying to be nice but she really was intruding. She doesn't know Sparron. It wasn't quite her place to go to him like that or even to tell him that she knew what she knows at this point. "Hi, I just married the man that you are secretly in love with. I know it's hard. Here, you can cry on my shoulder if you want."

Christi said...

Lovely chapter Van!! I really love his bitterness and how you portrayed that. After all he's done to Searle though I'm kind of on the same page as Penelope. Don't act the victim. You beat it over the head enough that you didn't want to be seen publicly with him... Searle seems to be one of those people that needs people.. you know? He deserves to be loved and not ashamed of.

Anonymous said...

I do feel bad for Sparron -- especially since he seems to be entertaining thoughts of suicide. He must be seriously depressed right now. Of course being gay in the twelfth century would do that to you, but when you add to that a family history of mental health problems ...

Poor Sparron. :(

And I feel bad for Lettie too. She's trying to help, even if she can't really succeed at the moment. (Also? She looks adorable. Just sayin'.)

What Searle and Sparron need to do is talk. A lot. Hopefully before Sparron's thoughts of suicide get stronger. :(

The Lunar Fox said...

I wonder what Lettie was going to say. Something tells me she had something important she needed to tell him, if he'd listen. But it's just like him to wallow in his own pity and not even try to play fair or nice!

Van said...

Pen: I do think he is a victim of circumstance. He's living in a time and place where his love affair is a huge taboo and he is definitely feeling that. He's so overwhelmed with all these conflicting emotions that he doesn't even have the capacity to be himself any more. He's just this depressed shell :(

But yeah, he's put Searle through way too much grief :(

As for Lettie, I'm still getting to know her as a character, but I get the distinct impression that she is one of those intellectuals who sometimes just doesn't get how to interact with people, even if her heart is in the right place. Add that to the fact that Sparron's social skills are also sub-par and you get situations like this :S

Christi: Thanks :) Yeah, I think Searle is in open book and needs to be that way. He loves so strongly and he just can't keep it inside, so he does needs someone with whom he can be openly affectionate.

Not to say that the whole thing between him and Sparron is over...

Morgaine: Oh, he's definitely depressed right now :(

As for Lettie... well, she does mean well. She wants to help. There's just not much she can do, especially since she's working with someone so unreceptive.

Searle and Sparron really do need to talk. Unfortunately, like Searle told Severin, Sparron doesn't really do that :(

Lunar: Good question. If it's important enough, I'm sure she'll try to pass the message via Searle at some point. But yes, Sparron is rather selfish in his self-loathing :(

Chene303 said...

Well, damn....

I know that was my comment last chapter but...damn...

I truly do feel for him, poor guy... I wanna give him a hug but he'd prob shank me or something! lol
In all honestly I don't blame him for how he acted toward Lettie but he can't honestly believe Searle wants her more than he wants him. It's illogical!

Chene303 said...

Oh also: I just thought about it! Why the F do I feel bad for Sparron!? He's been slowly ripping out Searles heart for the past few years. What a bitch....

But I do feel for him.... :(

Van said...

I think Sparron could use a hug, whether he's willing to receive one or not. But yeah, I do think that at this point, Searle wants Sparron more than he wants Lettie. He likes Lettie and he might very well love her one day, but he's got all that history with Sparron and in spite of everything, he's still very in love with him and very emotionally attached. Searle does seem like the type who mates for life.

Even if Sparron has been... err, less than the ideal lover :S

Penelope said...

"Less than ideal" is putting it nicely. I understand his reservations. I even understand his self-loathing. But to be so shitty to Searle in private, just between the two of them for YEARS... How could he have expected Searle not to want to look elsewhere? He is demanding a lot and giving nothing in return. He won't even tell Searle that he loves him.

And even where other people are concerned-- Who exactly is oppressing him here? Father Sextus? Everyone who knows has been nothing but accepting. Even Lettie has been accepting and she was a total stranger when she found out.

You know... I almost want to see Octavius's reaction. Not because I want essentially good characters to get hurt but because I am curious about what he would do. Granted, he did lock his sick wife in a dungeon and leave her to die.

Ack! Sorry for spamming your comments.

*poof*

S.B. said...

I'm not sure whether I want to hug Sparron or slap him. I know he's hurting, but he's acting like such a brat. "I'm miserable so I want everybody else to be even more miserable."

Searle has been open with him about how he feels, and that's unlikely to change even though Sparron has been cruel to him. Demanding that his lover go sit somewhere in the dark and just be there is so freaking selfish.

Camaline is showing unusual empathy...

Penelope said...

hehe I thought that I was done scribbling here but I totally wasn't. And I agree with Beth 100% about Searle's openness and Sparron's expectations.

But what I think was the most telling about the public reaction to homosexuality in this universe is the fact that Severin told Lettie. Severin is a noble fellow who is fairly rational, loves his family, only wants the best, etc. Yet he told a woman that he had never met that his son was involved with another man. It doesn't matter how open-minded or downright scandalous Lettie seemed to him-- He didn't know her. And if it was really going to lead to a crisis situation if anyone found about Searle and Sparron, Severin would not have told Lettie right off the bat. He's too smart and too protective of his family for that.

Van said...

Pen: Oh, I won't argue the fact that he's been an asshole to Searle. I don't think he means to do it, but it's almost a reflex at this point and he only seems to realize he's doing something wrong if he pushes Searle over the edge and the tears start up. It's only natural that Searle wanted to look somewhere else and it's a bit difficult to believe that he didn't start doing so earlier, but it's still got to hurt :S

At the very least, he should tell Searle he loves him. He wouldn't be moping around like this if he didn't. He still seems to be in some form of denial about it :(

As for the other people... well, the only three who know (as far as we know) are Camaline, Severin, and Lettie. Camaline herself is gay. Severin knew about it for a while before he let it slip that he knew, and he probably did struggle with it initially to a certain extent--we might find that out later (also, Sparron doesn't know that Severin knows). Lettie, meanwhile, seems to have invested a lot of time into researching the subject and has consciously decided that she doesn't have a problem with it, this occurring long before meeting Searle or Sparron.

I think Sparron's discomfort isn't so much about what people are doing to him--because obviously they can't do anything to him if they don't know--but what they might if they did. He has this morbid fear of what his father will do to him (or is planning on doing to him, since he seems to think that Octavius already knows), and maybe what happened to his mother plays a part in that, maybe not.

Octavius has much more emotional attachment to Sparron than he ever did to Medea, but he seems to feel rather guilty about the whole dungeon thing after the fact. If he finds out--even if he reacts absolutely horribly--I doubt Sparron's punishment will be that extreme. I'm not really sure what he would do at this point, though.

No worries. All comments are appreciated, and this one was definitely relevant :)

Beth: Unfortunately, he does seem to have developed that mentality :(

But yeah, Searle has been so open and so loving and so supportive. And Sparron is just so wrapped up in his worries that he doesn't notice that :(

As for Camaline... well, Sparron is her best friend and confidant, and she likewise is that for him. I think they both have this idea that they're the only ones who really "get" each other.

Pen again: No problem--all scribbles welcome :)

Interesting observation about Severin and Lettie. But I think Severin was conflicted there. He probably felt rather reserved about telling her, even if he did have a very good feeling about her. On the other hand, knowing him (and from what Lettie said in her last appearance), he didn't think it was fair that she should go into the marriage without knowing that there was an existing love affair. I guess we'll have to see a POV from either of the two of them or someone else's reaction before we can say for sure.

Joseph said...

Why do I always miss your updates? Why? I swear Google Reader is on a fritz *grumble*

Awws poor Sparron seems to be the general reaction to this post so I'll go with the majority.

I'm really liking Lettie even though I hardly know her cos this is the second post I've read with her in it.

Van said...

No worries :)

I thought the majority was "Poor Searle"? :P

Although personally, I feel bad for Sparron too--just for different reasons.

I'm liking Lettie too. I can't wait to do a little more with her :)

Thanks Joseph :)