April 24, 2011

In Which Rifden Is Not Immune to the Flames

December 9, 1173

In their younger days, Rifden and Searle had been friends--best friends, even. They were the same age, both neat and finicky and neurotic as far as young boys went, and Rifden's older siblings had been employed at the castle where Searle had been a page, so it had been a convenient arrangement. They got along--better than either of them did with most other boys their age, certainly--had similar interests and lived in close enough proximity to visit whenever they pleased.

But life had a funny way of tearing people apart. Jothein had been killed and Rifden had assumed full responsibility of the shop; not too long after, Searle had been knighted and married and off having babies. They'd tried to keep in touch, but there were cabinets to build and lands to manage and there just weren't enough hours in a day or a week or a month to keep up with old friends of a different class. They'd grown apart. That was that.

But suddenly, they were back in each other's lives. Figured that it would happen under such tragic circumstances. "I thought I'd come by to thank you for making that coffin on such short notice."

What could he say? It didn't take long to make such a small coffin. "Least I could do."

Poor man. In comparison to the rest of the continent, child mortality in Naroni was most fortunately low, but the occasional young death was inevitable and Searle's youngest had drawn the short straw. From what Rifden could gather, the little girl had come down with a sudden, brutal sickness and had expired in a matter of days. This was some weeks ago now and the coffin was far back on his mental list of most recent projects, but it was the first time he'd seen Searle since the incident. This was probably the first time the poor man had left his castle since the funeral; the time they'd found that dead kitten seemed such a small matter now.

"Well... I should be going." Searle turned around without so much as an obliging wave. "I'd rather not leave Valira and the girls alone for too long."

"I understand."

"No--you don't." Already halfway out the door, his former friend looked back it him for a couple seconds, his somber aqua eyes weighed down by lids too heavy to lift. "But thanks for the sentiment."

He was quick to leave, but the remnants of the December draft lingered. Rifden grabbed a nearby flint and sparked the fire, holding his hands so close he thought they might melt. Or maybe they couldn't. There was something sinister about hands that made caskets for year-old children; perhaps they were immune to the flames.

Someone else knocked on the door. Rifden shivered; irrational as it was, he couldn't shake the feeling that every customer who walked through that door was in need of a baby grave. He was a good man, or so he made a point to remind himself. He did not display coffins. He didn't care to sell coffins, make coffins. Certainly such small coffins had no fair reason for existing. "Yes?"

"Rifden?"

His spine snapped to an upright position as Laveria's pretty young daughter stepped inside. Aerina was only fifteen, but she'd recently proven old enough to catch his eye as she strode past his shop on her morning walk. He knew her fairly well--she was his next-door neighbor, after all--and he'd always found her pleasant, and rather interesting even if she'd only just achieved such status in the physical sense. He'd considered courting her, but he'd made a point to restrain himself since Searle's daughter had died. Young women of Aerina's caliber deserved better than a man who fashioned coffins for babies.

And yet, he couldn't help but look at her. "Aren't you a sight for sore eyes."

She closed the door and approached him, a grimace on her face but something else entirely in her eyes. She was a lady--she was trying to be cordial--but there was a reason she was here and it was no laughing matter. "I could say the same of you, actually."

Rifden's brow raised as Aerina's mouth fell. What did she mean by that? For all he admired her, he doubted she'd given him a second thought in that regard. "Sorry?"

"I just locked up my mother's shop." Her trembling hands interlocked if only to steady themselves; the attempt was in vain. "She had to leave on a call."

Odd. Laveria was as competent as ever, but she was getting up in years and wasn't widely trusted in any case. She was the last resort. If someone had sent for her, then it was urgent. "What sort of call?"

"I'm not allowed to say." Her arms folded and her shoulders hunched, her entire frame collapsing inward, shaky and unsteady all the while. She wasn't a small and helpless girl, or at least she never had been until that moment and maybe she never would be again. Whatever this was, it disturbed her; whoever it was, she was frightened. "I hate to ask this, but... can I stay here until she gets back? I don't want to be alone today."

NEXT CHAPTER:

9 comments:

Van said...

I hope you're all having a great Easter weekend :)

I probably won't have a chance to post (probably IFV) until Monday night. My aunt is hosting Easter dinner on Sunday and I have no idea how late that will go--and then I have to be up early on Monday morning to meet with my former boss's replacement so I can know for sure whether I still have my job or if I have to look for a new one. Hopefully I'll still have my job, but I guess we'll see :S

Joseph said...

Haven't read the chapter (like you, I have easter dinner at my Nans) but I'd just like to wish you happe easter :bunny:

(and yes I know the :bunny: doesn't work)

Anonymous said...

Oh no! Last time Laveria went out on a serious call, we lost Alina! When is Nora due, again?

(And good lord, Aerina looks like Severin. I want to see her and Raia together!)

Rifden and Aerina do look awfully sweet together, though. And Rifden shouldn't be so hard on himself for making coffins for little kids. :( It's a horrible job, but somebody has to do it.

Poor Searle and Valera, though.

And after that downer of a comment -- happy Easter, everybody!

S.B. said...

Hope your job is still there for you, and, if not, that you find something even better.

This was so sad. Rifden and Aerina look wonderful together, and it is very telling that she would go to him when she's in distress. She does look so much like her father.

Where on earth is Laveria going? Why wouldn't Aerina be allowed to say?

Van said...

Joseph: Happy Easter! :D

And that goes for everybody too :D

Morgaine: Nora isn't due until March, so she's probably in the clear. That and I think Aerina would have told Rifden if it was Nora--he is Nora's little brother, after all.

She does look a lot like Severin and Laveria... and Raia. Yikes, I imagine some of the Veldora locals have trouble telling Raia and Aerina apart :S

I like these two together too. I doubt either of them will ever be a major character, but hey, the extras probably get the most stable lovin' out of everyone in this story, so maybe that's a good thing XD

But yeah... someone has to make the little coffins :(

Poor Searle and Valira are in for a rough time, as well as their two surviving daughters. Poor little Nearina just lost her twin :(

Beth: Thanks. There probably won't be an issue, but who knows?

It is telling, isn't it? Rifden seems to think that the feelings are one-sided, but I doubt that's the case if he's the one she's running to, especially since she has a lot of family in the area.

I take it you mean her brother? ;) Aerina's father is Willott the butcher (who is still around and still banging Laveria). But yes, she does look a lot like Severin and Raia--just a different mouth and a darker skintone.

As for where Laveria's going, we'll find out soon. As for why Aerina can't say... well, someone in a position of power wants to keep this under wraps. That's all I'll say for now.

Anonymous said...

*looks at preview picture* Oh my god ... Sparron didn't try to hurt himself, did he???

Van said...

If he had and had been at all successful, then Camaline would probably be wearing black instead of purple and green.

Penelope said...

Unless purple and green are the new black.

Yikes! Why do I think that the Naron are involved here? Creepy set-up, Van.

You know, I think I was less surprised by how much Aerina looks like Severin than I was how little Rifden looks like Fallidor. :o

Van said...

Fair enough.

I'll assure you right now that the Naron have nothing to do with this :S

With the Wythleit siblings, I find that Falidor, Nora, and Alsina all sort of look alike, whereas Ceidrid looks completely different. Rifden is kind of a middle-ground, but he does look more like himself than anyone else.