April 9, 2011

In Which Jeda Is Not Demanded

August 3, 1173

In spite of the seeming accusation in the air--as if it could have been Jeda's fault that she'd had a daughter instead of a son--life at the castle had become more bearable since Dea's birth. It was a relief to feel useful, needed. It was a comfort to be loved so unconditionally and to love like that in turn. With her little girl's arrival, Jeda was made to feel like more than just a walking womb that wasn't popping out heirs at the ideal rate. The queen's nagging and the king's expectant looks and Ietrin's indifference didn't matter. At least she had her daughter.

And what a sweet baby she was! The princess was somewhat small and sickly for her age, but she was a fighter. She slept well, fed regularly but not excessively, and loved to cuddle. She almost never cried or fussed, and she had the most adorable smile, a hybrid of Leara's and Sparron's with her own precious spark. It was a grin that rarely strayed from the face--and it had a habit of bringing one to Jeda's too.

A light, almost reluctant tap! rang from the door. It wasn't her father's knock or her brother's knock or even her stepmother's, and the fact that she couldn't identify it otherwise was not a hopeful signs. The royal knocks all sounded more or less than same. "Yes?"

The door with a slug-like laziness as her husband stepped inside, insufferably blase as ever. His hair was mussed and she could smell Ellona's perfume even from across the room. It was a lucky thing that her father didn't know just how much of Ietrin's time was spent at his mistress's castle. Then again, maybe it wasn't. "Jeda." He nodded toward her with a diplomat's reserve, then glanced at the baby somewhat more warmly. "Medea."

"Ietrin." She lowered Dea to her middle and turned her eyes toward Ietrin. The sooner he said his piece, the sooner he would leave. "Do you need something?"

"Yes, actually." He shut the door and shuffled toward her with more than a trace of obligation in his step. Jeda frowned; he usually preferred to linger in the doorway and leave. "Medea is five months old today."

That she was. Frankly, it was astounding to think that Ietrin had remembered. "And?"

"And I'd say I've been rather generous about giving you your space." His hand rose and wove itself into her hair, perhaps intending to be indulgent but coming off as more insulting than anything else. Jeda held Dea to her shoulder and shifted to the side; Ietrin's fingers dropped back to his side, but his firm gaze remained. "You're sleeping in my bed tonight."

It was not a request, but it wasn't a demand either. A demand would have required the consideration that she might have resisted; this was simply an expectation. She might have been less offended had he threatened to drag her kicking, screaming form to his tower. "Dea's crib is here, though."

Apathetic as always, Ietrin shrugged. "All right, I'll sleep in your bed."

"I'm still nursing."

"I thought I told you to get a wet nurse." He crossed his arms, a slight tick in his eyebrow. In all honesty, it was just a relief to finally get a reaction out of him. "Ah, fine. I see how it is. I'll take care of that myself--but you have bled since she was born, correct?" Jeda nodded. Satisfied, Ietrin's posture relaxed. "Then my decision stands. I'll be here tonight, and I don't want any protests from you. Is that clear?"

"Very." She hugged the baby tightly, planting a kiss on her soft little cheek, partly to calm herself and partly for an excuse not to look at her husband. The sweet scent of her daughter's skin and the brush of her wispy blond hair were an insufficient comfort, but they were all she had. Whatever the future held for her baby, she hoped that it would be better than this.

NEXT CHAPTER:

11 comments:

Van said...

Okay, I feel a little silly about doing this--mixing worlds and all--but I figure I should probably try to generate some publicity, so...

Just in case I ever publish anything, I set up this blog under one of my planned pen names. It has nothing to do with Sims or really anything at this point--mainly just me bitching about stuff--but I figured I'd throw the link up in case anyone was interested in random thought vomit.

Anonymous said...

ARGH!! Damn that Ietrin!

And honestly, if Ietrin gets a wet nurse, I hope Jeda sends her packing. It's not like it's going to make much of a difference to Jeda's fertility or lack thereof -- Ietrin's the one with the problem (if it is a problem), not her.

I kind of wish Jeda would take this opportunity to pack baby Dea up, get on her horse and go. Ietrin's welcome to sleep in her bed ... but Jeda won't be there.

*sigh* When is Ietrin going to get his comeuppance?

Van said...

Ietrin either hasn't clued in about the fertility thing or is in very deep denial :S

And this would be a great opportunity for Jeda to back up the baby and go. Unfortunately, I can't see Roderick being happy about that, and when Roderick is unhappy, he makes everyone else unhappy :S

As for Ietrin's comeuppance... well, stay tuned...

Chene303 said...

That sounded alot like rape or some form of it... like she's his sex slave that's just had a baby.

Wow, that comparison saddens me... Can you plz like kill him off or maim him or something, anything really. Oooh! I know! Make him get trapped somewhere with Octavius for a really long time! That would make me very happy! :P

Van said...

Whatever their relationship is, it's certainly not pleasant :S

Heheh... Ietrin probably wouldn't survive long trapped in a small space with Octavius. The problem would be getting them into that scenario in the first place.

Epi said...

I actually like this plot thread. It is realistic for the time setting. Marriage was (before the idea of courtly love begun) after all a way of legalising rape and attempting to ensure that any child born to a woman was that of her husband's to start wit. Now, we obviously look at marriage in a much different light, but I am glad that you have managed to sprinkle some era-correct marriages in here as well as the more liberal pairings that are also enjoyable e.g. Raia/Falidor.

Ann said...

I'm so glad for Jeda that she finds a bit of comfort in her little daughter! She'll need every scrap of comfort that she can get as long as she's married to Ietrin (and living under the same roof as Roderick and Laralita). Seriously, it's a good thing we almost never see Ietrin in a chapter with his father and/or step-mother. Who could stand the idiocy??

I agree with Chene, this marriage is nothing but legalized slavery and rape. As Jeda herself thought: to her husband and in-laws she's merely a walking womb. Makes me want to strangle that part of the royal family so bad! *fumes*

When, oh when, is Ietrin going to get his due? (and Roderick and laralita too)

(Ietrin as a slug is a nice picture! *evil grin*)

Ann said...

Forgot to say that I've been to your new blog and it looks great! I really like the design. And the two post are very interesting. Not sure if you'd like me to comment and/or follow or not, seeing as you aren't big on mixing worlds (on which point I definitely agree with you). But I'm definitely reading and will keep doing so, even if I'm not following officially. I figure I can always give you my opininion via chat, PM or comments on your other blogs, if you want it. ^^

Anyway good work! And I just love you pen name!

Van said...

Epi: Thanks. I'm always a bit foggy on my historical accuracy, but I'm sure this sort of marriage wasn't unheard of at the time :S

Ietrin/Jeda is definitely a good contrast to something like Raia/Falidor, for sure :S

Ann: It really doesn't seem like much more than that, does it? :(

At least she has her daughter now. It's still an awful situation, though.

Glad you like the new blog. As for following/commenting, that would be up to you :)

Thanks Ann :)

S.B. said...

And Ellona loves that piece of shit? How? Why? He'd better hope he doesn't have a son since I hope said son will grow up and hate the son of a bitch and figure out some way to engineer a very unfortunate accident. What a monster!

I definitely would like to follow your new blog. Whether or not you publish anything (and I believe you will), I like how you think.

Van said...

I think the Ietrin Ellona knows and the Ietrin Jeda knows are two very different people :S

But now that you mention it, it's certainly possible that any son Jeda did have wouldn't take any abuse against his mother lying down...

Awww, thanks Beth :)