October 7, 2010

In Which Severin Is Reminded

August 18, 1169

"Well?" Roderick inquired, pulling himself from his chair and stepping around his desk as Severin approached the room's center. "Yesterday went rather well, don't you think?"

Severin indulged him with a grimace. He'd known Roderick long enough to know that the man was completely lacking of a sense of humor, but in spite of its source, the comment was too absurd to be anything but a jest.

Satisfied, the king returned the grin. "So... did any particular lady catch your eye? Or are you perhaps torn between several of the lovely specimens?"

That seemed a little long-winded for conversational comedy; so much for hoping that Roderick had decided to try his hand at the art of sarcasm. Severin swallowed. "This is where you're supposed to assure me that you're joking."

All traces of comfort fled Roderick's face. His brow arched and the corners of his mouth fell into a frown. "Sorry?"

"Well, for one, the only two who actually got along with my children were children themselves." He shook his head, still not quite over the shock of some of those girls' ages. "I don't care how well-connected or blue-blooded or whatnot; a fourteen-year-old is still a fourteen-year-old, and I am not marrying a fourteen-year-old."

Roderick sighed. "There are advantages to young brides, you know. They have many fertile years ahead of them; you could get several children out of a girl you marry at fourteen."

"Roderick, I already have several children."

"Then marry one of the others," the king insisted. "Some of those women are older."

"Oh, that they are," Severin agreed. "In fact, some of them have children my age and up. Roderick, I don't want a wife who's older than my own parents!"

Clearly vexed, Roderick sniffed. "Well, that still leaves four women."

"Yes, one of which firmly believed that she could walk through walls despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, one of which had no qualms about smacking my son across the face, and one of which I didn't care to blink around out of fear that she might tell me it was a sin." They were no less exasperating in hindsight; Severin ran his hand through his hair and shook his head. "Really, have you considered that there might be a reason as to why these women are still available?"

"What about the Pope's niece?" Roderick demanded, practically jumping up and down in has anxiety. "At least tell me you liked the Pope's niece!"

Severin frowned. "Which one was she?"

"Antonina di Siena! The one with the crispinette! You liked her, at least, didn't you? I think she liked you--and she's the Pope's niece!"

Oh dear God! Severin closed his eyes and shuddered. "Roderick, she could have been the Virgin Mary herself for all I care--I am not marrying a woman who has a more impressive beard than I do! Besides, she's a grouchy old hag."

"She's twenty-eight!"

"Fine--grouchy young hag," Severin caustically corrected himself. "She still has a beard, though."

Roderick placed his hand to his brow and sighed. "Severin, you're going to have to stop being so particular; you're not going to find anyone as attractive as Alina, so you might as well marry a woman of status. Besides, do you know how many strings I had to pull to give you such a wide selection of brides? Do you have any idea what I'm going to have to do to make this up to the ones you don't choose?"

Severin channeled his frustration through his teeth and took it out on his lower lip. If nothing else, he wished Roderick would at least stopping speaking as if he'd asked to be bombarded with a hoard of desperate noblewomen. "Look, I'm sorry for the trouble, but I can't see myself being happy with any of these women. More importantly, I can't see my children being happy with any of these women. The only two with moderately pleasant personalities would be more suitable matches for my sons than for myself--and don't let that give you any ideas," he added as a dangerous spark flashed in Roderick's eyes.

Seemingly at the end of his rope, Roderick inhaled sharply. "Severin, I was hoping it wouldn't come to this, but I am your king, and you will do as I say--and I say that if you haven't chosen a bride by the end of the month, then I shan't hesitate to pick one for you!"

Severin jerked forward as his spine became as limp and brittle as the crudest of pottery. He caught himself at the last minute with the toe of his boot, then gasped. He wouldn't... would he?

"What? Roderick, you can't be serious!"

The king scowled. "I am serious."

"You're giving me twelve days to choose a wife!"

"Twelve and a half, if you get on it straight-away."

Severin clenched his teeth as a slight feeling of nausea overtook him. "You can't force me to marry any of those women! I'm not your child!"

"But you are my subject," Roderick reminded him, his gray eyes as stubborn and stupidly unyielding as ever. "You will do as I say, and it is within my rights to make sure of it."

NEXT CHAPTER:

10 comments:

Ann said...

Wow, who knew Roderick would go so far as THAT? Now marrying Nora is really Severin's only option. But I can't see Roderick allowing that. They'd better marry in secret.

Poor, poor Severin.

Van said...

And that's assuming that he even considers Nora. We have yet to see his thoughts about her now that he's back in the bachelor pool.

Roderick can be a prick sometimes. His intentions are good, in this case--it would do the kingdom well to have an alliance, and he genuinely does think he's doing Severin a favor--but when he gets his mind set on something, then... :S

S.B. said...

OMG...poor Severin...will think of Nora? And Roderick, well I can understand his motivation. And maybe he thinks Severin will just mope around and choose nobody if he's not given an ultimatum. But still, prickness!!

Van said...

Oh yeah, Roderick definitely has some reasoning here. Still harsh, though :S

Severin might just mope around even with the ultimatum--he just didn't click with any of those women at all.

Phoenix said...

Wow!! Roderick grew a pair! Awesome! I mean, it's at the wrong time but still! He's not as much of a push over as I thought!

It was harsh of him but I see where he's coming from. At least Severin is coming out of his mopey slump!

YAY for me getting to leave a comment!!

Van said...

I fixed it :D Though hopefully I can switch back to the embedded comment form soon--I'm not a big fan of pop-up windows.

Yeah, Roderick's actually got some understandable motivations this time :P I would hate to be in Severin's shoes, though.

...

...oh wow. The capcha thing I have here is "hagromp". That in conjunction with the chapter itself might be grossly prophetic :S

Penelope said...

The conversations between these two slay me every time! They're like little kids! Love it.

Why the time crunch, Roderick? Are you really that desperate to see Severin married? Is the state of the kingdom at risk? Don't you have more important things to be thinking about?

*BWAHAHAHA*

Van said...

They're definitely like a couple of children :P

I think Roderick figures things will get back to normal if Severin gets hitched. That and he needs to get on with figuring out what to do with that surplus of bachelorettes :P

Verity said...

Oh boy... this does not sound good. I certainly would not want Roderick choosing my curtains for me let alone a spouse. Hehe... this could be interesting though :)

Van said...

Roderick is not the sort of person who should be allowed to make decisions.

And yet, he constantly does :P