October 3, 2010

In Which Riona Tries a New Word

August 16, 1169

Riona had been jumping happily for a few minutes when Vera burst in and joined her--so much for having Raia's double bed all to herself. "What do you want, brat?"

"I just want to jump," Vera insisted, as if her gleeful hopping wasn't an answer in itself.

Annoyed, Riona propelled herself toward the foot of the bed. "Well, can you jump somewhere else?"

"But this is the bounciest bed in the castle!" Her little sister continued to skip back and forth across the surface of the mattress. "Besides, I know something you don't know."

Riona snorted. "That's impossible, you liar."

Grinning, Vera shook her head. "Nuh-uh! Want to know?"

"I told you--I already do." How was Vera less than a year younger than she was? Had she herself been so ignorant only eleven short months ago?

"No you don't. You can't, because Papa just told me, and Falidor just told him, and Eblor just told him. Want to know?"

She couldn't be serious. Riona rolled her eyes; she'd have to prove her wrong once and for all. "All right, let's pretend that I don't know--tell me."

Vera flopped onto the bed, then bounced back to her feet. "Only if you say I can stay!"

"Fine! Just tell me already!"

Looking triumphant, the little girl bent her knees and jumped with force, seemingly intent on touching the ceiling. She couldn't quite reach, but her smile lingered all the same. "All the women the king wants Papa to marry are at the castle now, and he's bringing them over tomorrow to meet us."

"Oh good God!" Riona had no qualms about taking the Lord's name in vain, but Vera's eyes bulged at the sound of it; what a difference eleven months made, really. Or was it? Riona had been taking the Lord's name in vain for as long as she could remember. "Why does the king want Father to get married, anyway? I don't think Father wants to get married--I don't want him to get married."

"You don't?" She sounded surprised. "Why not?"

Had it been any of her other siblings, she wouldn't have had to answer--younger kids were so stupid. "I don't want a new mother. If I can't have my old mother, I don't want a mother at all."

"I miss Mama too, but what if whoever Papa marries is nice?" Vera protested. "And smart? And pretty?"

Riona shrugged--at least, as best as she could while jumping on the bed. "What if she's not?"

"But what if she is?"

She dismissed the notion with a snicker. "As nice and smart and pretty as Mother? I don't think so!"

"Well, not as nice and smart and pretty as Mama," the younger girl agreed, "but what if she's... all right?"

As if anyone King Roderick picked could be! Feeling bold, Riona decided it was time to try a new word. "Fuck it--she'll be horrible!"

NEXT CHAPTER:

10 comments:

Van said...

Sorry about the short post. Next Ashelia will also be short, but the next Naroni is going to be the longest post I've done in a while.

Penelope said...

Heh, seeing them all assembled like that makes it clear to me that Severin has too many children.

And it's not like Roderick knows these women personally. He seemed to have just chosen them based on rank and availability. Maybe one or two of them isn't too awful. It would be so much more dramatic if there was one who really stood out for Severin just before Nora made her presence known. OR he marries a lovely woman who Nora is forced to serve and hate despite how lovely the woman is as a person. But that's just cruel. :p

Van said...

In all fairness, three of the people in that shot aren't Severin's kids :P

Yeah, Roderick has never met any of these women before--he basically picked the single ladies most likely to score him a killer alliance. They could all be lovely people for all anyone knows, but Riona just isn't willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Anonymous said...

Well, Riona's right about one thing -- there's no way any of those women are going to be as nice and pretty and smart as Alina. ;)

(Nora, btw, gets a pass in that because she's a different brand of awesome.)

And I'm also with Riona in not having a lot of hope for these women, solely because Roderick picked them. Now I'm sure Penelope has a point for at least one or two, but ... yeah. Let's just say, I don't trust Roderick's judgment even when he's only looking at the wealth/breeding/powerful relatives/appearance stats.

Although, honestly, if Severin isn't too happy about having to marry again, I think assembling his kids (a la the preview pic) ought to send at least one or two of the blushing brides-to-be running for the door! And they haven't even seen the whole brood of them trying to jump on a couch yet.

Anonymous said...

And I just realized that in the preview pic, Riona is wearing the same dress her mama wore in the first ever Dovia Diaries post.

*sniffle* Oh, the nostalgia!

Van said...

Yeah, I imagine seven kids would be enough to scare off most women. The fact that they aren't particularly well-behaved children doesn't help much either :S

As for the women in question, we'll find out what they're like soon, though we won't actually see them (although I did make some sims).

I really need to post some more Dovia Diaries one of these days...

S.B. said...

very happily going through your last couple of posts!

Isn't that typical...assuming the new wife will be awful. Even if just one of them assumes the worst, there are seven pairs of eyes staring down any woman with the courage (or need) to get into that alliance. Roderick is probably handling it in the most sensible way.

Van said...

I wouldn't know firsthand, since my parents are alive and together, and of my friends with widowed or divorced parents, they were all older when their parents got remarried (if they did at all), but I imagine it would be natural for a nine-year-old girl to have reservations about the possibility of a stepmother. As far as Riona's concerned, she can't see her father with anyone but her mother and any woman who wants to get with him has to be bad. It's an unfortunate attitude, but it makes childish sense :(

Thanks Beth :)

Phoenix said...

Sorry it took a while for me to get here. My computers seem to hate blogger now! :(

LOL!! Man, I love kids simplistic view of everything!:P

Can you imagine being these women and meeting all these kids? Wow, just wow!!

Van said...

No worries :)

That would be very overwhelming, to put it lightly :S

Thanks Phoenix :)