April 27, 2009

In Which Florian Gives Thetis a Memory

May 18, 1157

Florian could not have the best of both worlds, he realized now. He was trying to watch his children as they played while still remaining in this comfortable position, but unfortunately, this perfect angle was effectively obscured by the droopy backside of his elderly housekeeper. Never before had he hired anyone, and now he knew that experience was not a thing to look for in a potential employee; the only real job requirement was a perfect ass.

But what was he doing hiring servants, anyway? He'd never been worth a single copper coin in his life. He was the humble second son of a farmer, who was also a son of a farmer, all the way back to Adam. Add the fact that he was both an exile and a thief, and he was probably the least qualified employer in all of Naroni.

And yet here he was, a man with a housekeeper, while many pairs of good, law-abiding family types like Halford and Arydath Diarn or Adonis and Honora Indruion had none.

Figuring she'd probably make some comment about how he was thoroughly enraptured by her hindquarters, Florian pulled himself up and shook his head as his son gnawed on the doll's shoe. He didn't remember much about being seven months old, but surely he hadn't been as silly as Setran was now; he must have gotten it from his mother.

Oh, how Electra would have been so proud of her little boy, so big and strong and handsome, even if he had a strange appetite for paint chips and rough chestnut wood. Now that he knew he was going to live for some time longer, Florian found himself constantly thinking about what sorts of stories he would tell Setran about Electra when he was older.

He would tell him that she had always wanted him, for many years before he was even born. He would tell him that she had been sweet and kind, the most generous, self-sacrificing woman he had ever known. And then, when he asked of her death, he would tell him that she had lived a tragic life, but, thanks to Setran, had left the world in the most incredible happiness she had ever known.

"The fire should hold out for a few more minutes, Master Tumekrin," Goodwife Noth assured him as she withdrew the poker from the flames.

Florian sniffed. "I still can't believe we have the need for fires in May."

"Indeed," his housekeeper agreed. "Now, when your lady friend arrives, would you like me to leave the two of you be?"

Frustrated, he bit his lip; how many times had he explained this to her? "Look, Goodwife, I'm only going to tell you this once more, so listen up. She's not my lady friend, as you say; she's a kid. If I wanted sex, I'd head to the village at night and pick up a prostitute, all right?"

She sighed, as she often did. "Well, you seem to be putting an awful lot of effort into a visit with just a kid."

"What makes you say that?"

"Well, for one, you're actually dressed."

"Well, if I wanted to have sex with her, I wouldn't be," he insisted with a laugh. "Why would I walk around half-naked in front of a woman I don't want to have sex with?"

"You walk around half-naked in front of me, Master Tumekrin," argued Goodwife Noth.

Florian's eyes narrowed--why hadn't he seen that one coming? "Don't flatter yourself; you could be my grandmother."

"Yes, but you seem to take advantage of the fact that I am not."

Really, he should have hired the girl with the nice ass.

"Isn't it ridiculous that we still need fires at this time of year?" mused a familiar voice from the doorway, causing Florian's heart rate to surge; Thetis had arrived.

Evera looked up at her and smiled, revealing her budding teeth. "Mama!"

"Hello, Evera," she greeted her daughter, returning the grin. "Are you having fun playing with your brother?"

The little girl pointed at her playmate. "Setran."

Chuckling slightly, Florian stood and made his way toward his guest, wrapping his arms around her hesitantly. "I hope it wasn't too difficult to get past Norwan."

"Oh, no," she assured him. "He had so much to drink last night he'll sleep all day."

"Maybe one of these nights, he'll have so much to drink that he just keels over on the tavern floor," ventured Florian hopefully. "Anyway, sit down, because I'm feeling lazy, and Goodwife Noth will scold me if I sit while you stand."

Goodwife Noth shook her head as the two of them made their way to the couch. "What use does my scolding ever do?"

"I know mine does absolutely nothing," laughed Thetis, "so take no offense, Goodwife Noth."

"Indeed, Mistress Thetis," the housekeeper agreed as she turned away from the fire. "Now, I'll be in the kitchen if anyone needs me. Shall I take the children? Perhaps they would like some cake."

"Cake!" exclaimed Evera happily.

"You already had your cake, you silly girl," Florian scolded gently. "That won't be necessary, Goodwife."

Goodwife Noth cast one last glance at Florian and Thetis, then hurried off--but not before sending a wink their way.

"Well, look at you!" cooed Thetis as they heard the kitchen door shut. "Nice new house, a housekeeper... even a fancy tunic!"

"The tunic's for you," he admitted. "Obviously I wouldn't wear something like this in the field, and on days I don't leave the house... well, why bother getting dressed?"

Thetis giggled prettily; he had a sudden urge to let down her hair, so that it would match her laughter more suitably.

"Saves you laundry, at any rate--although, I guess a gentleman has to dress himself well, doesn't he?"

"Gentleman?" Florian repeated, one eyebrow raised. "Don't be stupid. You need money to be a gentleman, and I sure as hell have none of that. Honestly, I have no idea how I'm going to pay for all of this--the farmland over here makes my old field seem like the damn promised land."

"Papa!" Evera addressed him, both suddenly and sharply. "Cake?"

Florian shook his head; there was no way he had been like this as a kid. "You seem to find your doll a perfectly fine meal--both of you! Don't you be ruining your teeth before they're even fully in."

It was no use; neither Evera nor Setran removed the dolls from their little mouths.

"They've grown up, haven't they?" Thetis sighed as she watched the two of them play.

"Well, they've grown," deduced Florian in partial affirmation, "but I'm not so sure about the up."

Shaking her head, she closed her eyes; was she fighting back tears? "They have, Florian... she has. And I've missed it all."

He could not stand for this. He would not have her crying--not today. "Come here a minute, Thetis."

Not giving her a chance to reply, he gently placed his arm around her and pulled her toward him, her head resting on his arm. "We're going to get through this, Thetis. And by we, obviously I mean you."

"What's to get through, though?" she voiced breathlessly. "I was married at thirteen, and had the twins at fourteen. I've already done everything a woman's supposed to do with her life, and in the least romantic way possible. Would you believe that he never even kissed me? Not even on our wedding day; no one's ever kissed me."

"Thetis..." exhaled Florian, uncomfortable seeing her so melancholy. "Thetis, look at me."

She turned slowly, her life-colored eyes locking with his own. "Yes?"

"If you've never even been kissed, then you haven't already accomplished everything," he assured her. "You've got your whole life ahead of you, Thetis, and that bastard Norwan isn't always going to be a part of it."

"But what if I die before he does?" she demanded of him.

"You won't," he promised.

"How can you be so sure?"

How could he shut her up? Why was she talking like this, today of all days? He was unused to this; shouldn't she be the one to cheer him up?

"I mean, if he doesn't die while I'm still young," she continued in her newfound mournful tone, "then maybe I'll never even get my kiss."

Florian tried to smile, but he seemed to have forgotten how. "He doesn't have to die for you to get your kiss."

A single tear was welling in one eye, but she managed to bat it back with her lashes. "But how could that happen?"

Oh for the love of God! He couldn't take it anymore; it was time to bring out the cavalry.

She didn't kiss like a girl who had never been kissed before; in fact, she didn't even kiss like a girl he had never kissed before. It was as if she had an innate knowledge of every nook and cranny of his mouth, by pure instinct sliding her tongue to exactly the places he preferred it to go. He didn't care that his kids were present--in fact, he almost wished Goodwife Noth would come back from the kitchen. This was no ordinary show.

This was art.

"There," he panted as they parted, slowly lowering her down onto the couch. "Norwan didn't have to die for that, did he? And if he did... well, all the better."

"Florian..." giggled Thetis, smiling uncontrollably for some reason or another. "You're daring!"

Grinning contagiously himself, he shook his head. "I had to give you a present, didn't I? That was it--a memory. And the best part was, it didn't cost me a single coin. Happy birthday, Thetis."

NEXT CHAPTER:

11 comments:

Phoenix said...

*does happy dance*

FLORIAN!!!!!!

Awww!! This was a sweet chapter Van! I'm glad that Thetis gets at least one happy memory. The poor girl deserves it!!

Penelope said...

"We're going to get through this, Thetis. And by we, obviously I mean you." *snicker, snort* Ohhh, Florian.

How old is Thetis now? Sixteen? Seventeen?

Van said...

I figured with all the Dalston/Celina sadness going on, it was time for a sweet chapter :)

Thetis is now sixteen, so by the standards of the period, she's not really a kid anymore.

eclectictsunami said...

:D :D :D

That's really all I can say right now :D :D

Van said...

:D

lothere said...

God I love Florian. "This was art!"

Van said...

Yeah, I don't know what I'm going to do when this generation gets to be eighty-some, ninety-some. I'm not sure I actually could kill off Florian--I'd miss him too much. Maybe I'll just make him live a ridiculously long time. He'd make a wonderful crotchety old man.

cheripye said...

Aww how utterly sweet and charming Florian can try to be, LOL! Love the maids and his easy conversation, whether he likes it or not he has a great personality and converses easily and then Thetis!!!! Please I am begging you have her bastard husband be changed to a woman and die! So then she and Florian can live happily ever after... LOL!

Van said...

Hold that thought :D

Verity said...

Hurrah! That was lovely. These guys are so great together. We just need horrible Norwan out of the way somehow.

Van said...

Heheheheh... :D