April 20, 2009

In Which Celina's Heartache Deepens

March 3, 1157

Celina didn't feel as though she should be here, in her husband's study, while he was working. Why should she? It wasn't as if he liked having her around, was it? Would he have slept with Geneva if he did? She doubted it.

But for some reason, he'd asked her to come; she didn't feel right about it, but if nothing else he was the father of her children, and she did owe him for that much. If he wanted her to sit with him while he worked, and she had nothing better to do, then why not?

They rarely saw each other anymore. As unwifely as it might have been, she made a point to avoid him whenever possible; if he did not love her, then why should she subject him to herself? She spent most of her time in the nursery, sewing gowns for the new baby while Lorn played on the floor. Sometimes, Alina would bring Raia over to play, and while their children squabbled over who got to be the giraffe, the two women would just sit in a comforting silence. Alina was fully aware of what had happened--in fact, she had been the one to discover it--so she felt no need to press Celina any further, and for that, she was grateful.

She loved this man, and for a time, he had led her to believe that he loved her as well. But perhaps she had been kidding herself; what could this Olympian of a man possibly see in a plain little thing like her? She could only take comfort in the fact that he had not exercised his passions within the home they shared... or had he?

A faint, feminine knock resonated from the door.

"Who is it?" Dalston inquired of the visitor, suddenly looking up from whatever it was he was doing.

"It's me," replied an all-too-familiar voice; Celina couldn't help but feel slightly nauseous.

Her husband sighed. She wondered why--perhaps he would have rather his mistress called while his wife was otherwise occupied?

Geneva's violet eyes flickered in Celina's direction as she strode into the room, then settled on Dalston with intent--as to what that intent was, Celina had no doubts.

"Dalston, there's something you should know," she muttered darkly, continuing to send sidelong glances Celina's way; naturally, the duchess felt rather uncomfortable.

Dalston nodded, seemingly keen to avoid that piercing violet gaze for some reason or another. "All right. Tell me quickly, and then I would appreciate it if you left; I'm quite busy."

There was a curt note in his voice that Celina had never heard before. Perhaps he was angry; perhaps she should leave.

Geneva seemed to be of that same opinion. "Celina, dear, maybe you should go check up on Lorn--"

"Anything you have to say to me, you can say to my wife," snapped Dalston. "Now, out with it, Geneva; I don't have all day."

She spoke in barely more than a whisper, but Celina heard both words as though they had been heralded by a chorus of angels... or demons. The first word, she knew from her grammar lessons as a girl, was a contraction--namely, a pronoun combined with a verb. The second was an adjective, one which she normally saw as a wonderful word, but at that moment, was vulgar as a curse.

At the sound of that adjective, her heartache only deepened.

NEXT CHAPTER:

22 comments:

Van said...

Sorry about the short post. I'm a little swamped with schoolwork and crap right now :(

Phoenix said...

No, no, no, no, NO!!! Do NOT tell me that heartless heifer is pregnant with stupid Dalston's child!!! Ugh!! Pack your bags Celina! You're coming into the future!!

Christ on a crutch that's horrible! HORRIBLE!! I feel so bad for her! But maybe it's not stupid Dalston's. I mean maybe she just thinks it is. Because if it is old boy is going to have to get out of Naroni. Roderick may be an idiot but he doesn't like people making a fool out of him!

Hope school is going alright for ya! And the other crap!:P

Van said...

Heheheh, Geneva doesn't know who the daddy is. Celina, obviously, thinks its Dalston's. If Roderick knows, he thinks it's his, and Dalston is really hoping it's Roderick's. Only I know for sure who the father is :)

Thanks. I'm just naturally lazy when it comes to schoolwork, and that's finally catching up with me, lol. It's craziness.

Penelope said...

Oh man... Why ever did she just not try to pass that baby off as Roderick's?

Imagine what Roderick will do when he finds out! He doesn't seem like the "let's just sweep this under the table" sort.

Van said...

Oh no, not at all. But hey, it could be Roderick's...

Phoenix said...

*leans in close to Van* Whisper it in my ear across cyberspace!! I gotta know! I gotta!!

I agree with Pen! She should have just kept her mouth closed! It would have been better for all concerned! And then she had the gall to try to usher Celina out of the room! The nerve!

LOL! I remember those days! I did the same thing up until I couldn't and HAD to do some kind of work!:P

Van said...

The father is $#@&*!# :D

Phoenix said...

I feel like I'm living a Maury episode! LOL!! And, the father of your baby is...we'll reveal the results right after this commercial break!!Dirty pool Van! Just dirty pool!! LOL!!

Van said...

Lol, can't you just see a modern-day Geneva on Maury ? She'd be like Janice on Friends, turning up once a season :)

Sorry about that, but I gotta keep my mouth shut :)

eclectictsunami said...

AW HELL NAW.

*Wants to punch that hobag in the face*

Van said...

I bet a lot of my characters share that desire right now, Cassie :)

Penelope said...

LOL Cassie!!!

*dies*

Dayna said...

Yay! I'm all caught up!

As for this chapter, I'm kind of hoping that Geneva will just kind of ... oh, I don't know, get diseased, get her ass kicked or -- better yet -- maybe die. :[ I like Celina too much for her to go through this!

Though, I'm kind of hoping that maybe Geneva can aggravate Celina enough to the point of a cat fight. Hm.

Van said...

Yaaaaaaay, Dayna!! *party music plays*

Good job slugging through all of this. I hope you're enjoying the story so far :)

Yeah, poor Celina really does deserve better than this, doesn't she? I have to make this up to her eventually...

I can see Geneva in a cat fight; not sure I can see Celina in one, though, or at least not well she's pregnant. Although mind you... she already has given birth in my game... but Geneva's still pregnant, obviously, and I doubt Celina would fight a pregnant woman. Maybe after Geneva gives birth too. Er, providing she doesn't die in childbirth or anything. *whistles*

Dayna said...

Of course I'm enjoying it! :D

I like the whistling. Just add the shifty eyes to the end of that statement and I'll be extremely happy!

Oh! And do you play the game at all anymore or do you just use it for the storytelling? :)

Van said...

:D

Ah yes... the shifty eyes... *shifty eyes in conjunction with suspicious whistling*

I don't play with these sims, or any of the sims from my other two stories. Once in a while I'll fire up one of the Maxis neighborhoods and play (usually totally deviating away from the pre-scripted storylines), but I'm too afraid to let anything happen to these guys to actually play them. Plus the kids would grow up too fast :(

Actually... I kind of can't wait until all my toddlers are teenagers. I've already started playing matchmaker with them in my head... :)

Dayna said...

Ah, I see. :)

And I know what you mean! I'm already pairing off the noble kids of Aerilis-- or, well, trying to decide which pairings would make for great stories!

Van said...

It's fun, isn't it? Like, it's already been established that Ietrin is going to marry Jeda and Sparron is going to marry Camaline, and it's only a matter of time before Dalston caves and lets Lorn marry Leara... but how will those dynamics work? And then there's the kids from the lower classes, plus Severin's kids, who can essentially marry anyone that the fates choose for them (and by fates, I mean me). Of course, I'm going to need to get a sense of their personalities first, which is what the child phase is for :)

cheripye said...

UGH!!! Disgusting queen someone please light the torches and burn her for indecency! LOL! And poor Celina, how horrid she must be feeling having the man she love(s/d) having done that to her and not try and make an apology....

The dolt could have at least explained himself! 80) LOL!

Van said...

He really could have. Looking back... Dalston reeeeeally needs to stop walking on eggshells around Celina.

Verity said...

Oh man. Poor Celina. I think it really would be better if she had left the room for that. Is there any chance that the baby is Roderick's?

Van said...

Oh yeah, it totally could be Roderick's. Actually, it's more likely that it is Roderick's, since she only slept with Dalston the one time, but people tend to fear for the worst.