April 14, 2009

In Which Dalston's Reputation Precedes Him

February 1, 1157

It felt good to be home, Dalston fully realized as he stepped into his bedchamber. His worrying had likely been needless of course--after all, Celina had experienced no problems during her previous pregnancy--but he would only be entirely relieved when he saw his wife again with his own two eyes, when he placed his hands on her belly of six months. And oh, to sleep next to her again! If ever again came a time when she was unable leave the kingdom, he would certainly not go without her.

He was simultaneously pleased and disappointed to see that she was already asleep. She was comfortable, at least, and secure, and was surely getting the rest she so needed and deserved... but it would have been nice to greet her, touch her, kiss her. He had been without her for far too long now, and suddenly, as he gazed upon her sleeping form, he felt inexplicably reborn.

Beneath the covers, she began to stir.

Slowly, she rose. Had he woken her? He'd taken care to be quiet...

He trembled excitedly, drowning in anticipation of her sweet smile; however, she merely stared. "Oh. Welcome back."

Idiot! he cursed himself silently. He must have woken her!

"I'm sorry, Lina," he apologized as she heaved her pregnant form off of the bed. "I didn't mean to wake you."

She shook her head. "You didn't. I just... woke."

Well, that was reassuring. "I missed you."

Celina didn't reply with words, but with a frown. Was something wrong? Was she not happy to see him?

"I... I'm sure," she choked at last, seemingly intent on avoiding his eyes.

"Is Lorn all right?" he asked concernedly. "The baby?"

"Both are fine."

Frowning, he placed his hand under her chin and gently lift her face so that their eyes met. "And what about you?"

Her lip quivered slightly. "I--I'm fine too."

"You don't seem fine," mused Dalston. Something must have happened... maybe she had fought with Roderick about something? Perhaps he had been trying to arrange a match between Lorn and one of his daughters?

"I am," she insisted stubbornly. "I'm just... going to go check on Lorn and Sparron and Jeda. You're tired from traveling; please don't wait for me."

"Lina..." he sighed. "Lina, in your condition, maybe you shouldn't be walking around unnecessarily..."

She nodded, but nonetheless continued to make her way into the corridor. "You're right. I suppose I might as well sleep in the nursery."

"Lina..." Dalston found himself addressing her again, but it was too late; she had already closed the door behind her.

Something was wrong. He would have thought she'd be pleased to see him, and perhaps would have inquired about the wedding and her relatives. Ordinarily, she would have, he was sure of it; but no, she had been preoccupied with something, perhaps some sort of dark, terrible knowledge...

That was it.

She knew.

NEXT CHAPTER:

6 comments:

Van said...

On a more positive note, it's nice to be done with January. Here's the outline of the rest of the year:

February--2 posts, including this
March--2
April--0
May--2
June--0
July--2
August--1
September--1
October--4
November--3
December--1

Phoenix said...

Stupid Dalston(notice I say that a lot Van?)!! He was just going to pretend like it didn't happen and he felt reborn. Ohhhh!!! If I could reach through the screen I would slap him for Celina since she can't do it!!

S.T.U.P.I.D. Dalston! I hate him, I hate him forever!!<~~apparently I need to watch LOTR again since reference keep popping up!:P

Van said...

In his defense, he was thinking about her the entire time he was having sex with Geneva... but yeah, I'm pissed off at him too right now :(

I'm going through serious LOTR withdrawal. My brother better get those DVDs back from his stupid friend soon... :(

Penelope said...

Yikes, how is he going to smooth this one over? I sense much groveling on the horizon.

Van said...

We'll definitely be seeing quite a bit of these two. Out of the next ten posts, I have three Celina PoVs and one Dalston PoV. The next two chapters are definitely not going to help this matter.

cheripye said...

I do so hope that they can work it out! I feel really badly for him because he does love his wife. He is a man after all and certain things well... Although if my husband did that I would definately be single again, LOL! but such was not the case in this day of age.