April 4, 2009

In Which Thetis Gives Light to Diamonds

January 25, 1157

Florian had been in bed for five days, drifting in and out of consciousness and muttering indistinguishably. In all that time, Thetis had left only once, to pick up Byrn from the neighbor she had left him with; she hoped that Norwan had chosen this week for one of his little tavern-hopping, whore-mounting sprees during which he never came home for several days.

Really, right then, she didn't even care if he was home, wondering where in the hell she was and plotting various ways to put her in her place. All that mattered now was that Florian survived, because really, where was she without Florian? Her daughter would grow up in an orphanage, raised believing that her mother was dead--or worse, had abandoned her. She would spend more time at home, meaning that her son would be further exposed to his tyrannical father as opposed to her many kind neighbors, and therefore would be in danger of both Norwan and becoming Norwan.

And at the end of the day, there would be no one left to talk to; she would miss Florian's miserly musings and sarcastic half-insults.

The bedroom door creaked open as Laveria made her way into the kitchen, a grim expression upon her face. Of course, this told Thetis nothing; Laveria was often somewhat grim.

"How is he?" she inquired in a whisper as she pulled herself to her feet.

Shaking her head, Laveria quietly closed the door behind her. "He's still here, but... there's not much I can do now. I'd say he only has hours, maybe another day if we're lucky. I'm sorry, Thetis."

She knew she was being a stubborn child, but she found that all she was capable of doing was crossing her arms in defiance. "I'm sorry, but I can't accept that."

"I don't expect you to," Laveria assured her with a sigh.

"There must be something else you can try."

The older woman shook her head. "I've been trying for five days--he's a lost cause. I'll humor you, but don't get your hopes up."

She turned around and returned to the bedroom, leaving Thetis to gnaw on the inside of her cheek. Oh, Florian! In time with the knocking on the door, she mentally relived every moment she'd ever spent with him. Their first meeting... after she tried on Electra's mother's dress... playing with Evera...

Wait... knocking on the door?

Whoever it was just kept hammering away, clearly fully aware that someone was home and unwilling to leave until they had done what they had come to do. There was only one sort of person like that.

Strange,
Thetis mused to herself as she hurried to answer. The tax collector isn't due for another week.

But it wasn't the tax collector. No... there was no possible way that the visitor could have been any less like a tax collector.

No, it was just a kid--a stark naked kid.

"You a'right, Dovan-lady?" he asked in broken speech; he had a very poor grasp of her language. "Why I scares you? I try look pretty, yes? Combs hair and everthings..."

Thetis honestly hadn't the faintest idea of how to reply. "Uh... Dovan?"

"Dovan," the child repeated as he stepped into the house, the dim candlelight revealing diamond eyes and black markings on his face. "Dova peoples, peoples of yous. I watches Dovans from tree and bush; it hobby to me."

"So you never... introduce yourself?"

She didn't know what she was thinking, talking to him. This was probably just some local kid, painting his face and running around without any clothes, causing havoc for nothing more than his own amusement. If she was smart, she would push him outside and lock the door behind him.

The boy shook his head. "Never, no! I no talks to Dovans. Papa don't like Dovans any--Papa say 'Dovans only good in soup'!"

Thetis stared; the kid laughed.

"No, Dovans no food to me," he assured her. "Too salty, Dovans is--very salty. Spanards, them much better; tastes rooserly."

"Rooserly?" demanded Thetis. What sort of a word was rooserly?

"Rooserly. Like rooser, no? Rooser-chicken?"

She sighed. "All right, rooster. Look, this is a bad time--"

"I helps!" he exclaimed as he kicked the door close, his peculiar eyes widening. "Dovan-man sick, I knows; I helps him bettering, yes?"

Thetis inhaled deeply, trying desperately to restrain herself from tearing her hair out in frustration. "Isn't your mama worried about--?"

The kid shook his head. "I no gots Mama. I gots Papa, but he try eat me, yes?"

She felt her eyes widen, but he simply giggled. "Joke! Papa only eat salty Dovans--and only in soup."

"Look, we're all very stressed and tired here!" snapped Thetis; she hated yelling at children, but speaking rationally didn't seem to work with this one. "Please, leave!"

"But I helps, yes?" he insisted once more. "I likes Dovans--fascitating, salty, clothes-loving Dovans. You hobby to me, so I helps sick Dovan-man bettering, yes?"

Thetis took a moment to consider. Obviously, this kid wasn't going to leave unless she listened to what he had to say... as difficult as that was. Laveria had said she'd done everything she could for Florian... maybe everything Laveria could do was not quite everything that could possibly be done?

Oh, but he was just a stupid kid! If anything, he would only make matters worse...

"Pleese, Dovan-lady?" he addressed her once more, his mouth smiling, but a forlorn look in his eye. "I helps? Papa say I useless; I no want be useless. I helps, yes? Pleese?"

Poor child; already, his father reminded her of Norwan. Maybe it wouldn't hurt if she just gave him a chance... and besides, Laveria would probably do a better job of chasing him out if he got to be in the way.

"Fine," she relented quickly, almost afraid that she would change her mind. "He's in the other room. Just go through the door.

"Real?" he demanded in disbelief, his diamond eyes sparkling with a new light. "Thanks for you, Dovan-lady! I no more useless! I helps!"

"Please, don't mention it," Thetis muttered under her breath as he hurried to the bedroom door. Had she done the right thing? Was this going to make any difference?

Maybe not... but he was worth a try. Anything was--anything for Florian.

NEXT CHAPTER:

12 comments:

Van said...

Please refer to the extras blog for a poll about this mysterious little doctor:

http://dinuriel.livejournal.com/4838.html

It may or may not let people without an LJ account vote. If you don't have one, don't worry about it.

eclectictsunami said...

You put this up JUST as I was commenting on the last chapter :)

Uh...wow. That is...quite the little kid. o_O Yeah. Consider me officially intrigued.

Thetis' concern for Florian is really sweet, too. I hope this helps somehow!

Van said...

Heheheh, great timing :)

Fortunately, we won't have to wait very long to see what happens to Florian.

Phoenix said...

Ohhh!! I LOVE the little kid!! I'm going to LJ as soon as I finish commenting! He's a little cutie! And anything to help Florian! Florian can't die! Not now! I dislike Dalston now so Florian needs to be spared!!:P

And I like how Thetis just crossed her arms and said said that she couldn't accept what Laveria was telling her! You go girl!!!

Now, how does this kid know that Florian was sick? Has he been peeping on Florian? Maybe he's wondering why he's always half naked? LOL

Van said...

I was a little worried about how people would react to the kid. It's good to see he's getting a generally positive response.

Dalston might redeem himself in a few months... maybe.

Thetis's strongest moment to date. I'm proud of her :)

Lol, maybe the kid feels some kinship toward his fellow nudist :)

Rachael said...

hehe Oh boy. What a thing for Florian to wake up to.

Penelope said...

The above was of course me, Van. :p

Van said...

Heheh... yeah, I'm not exactly sure how Florian would react to that kid...

lothere said...

Who else could save Master Exhibitionist Florian but a TOTALLY NAKED kid?

I think he's awfully cute, though he's a bit of a smart-talker for one who is mentally at the age he appears to be. Maybe he is of one of those races who ages differently. *intrigued*

I don't have a LJ account but I would vote that he should gradually get a little better at "English" (it's his hobby after all) but keep enough of his strange manner of speaking that it can still be his trademark. It actually was quite cute and not annoying at all in this chapter, but -- trust me on this -- this way be dragons. ;-)

Van said...

Like I told Phoenix earlier on LJ, rereading the first chapter is highly recommended. It might not answer all questions, but it might help.

That would be a good way to meet those two extremes in the middle. I might try that... but first I need to schedule his next appearance!

Verity said...

Interesting... I guess this kid is one of the Naroni we have been hearing about early on. Exciting (although pretty damn ominous with the bit about eating Davons in soup).

I hope he can help Florian though! I really want him and Thetis to get together :)

Van said...

You're definitely on the right track, Verity :)