January 19, 2011

In Which Jeda Is Told What Wouldn't Be Trouble

September 2, 1171

As expertly as Jeda's hair had been pinned, the fancy up-do might as well have been a sack of molten lead. Yes, she'd always had thick, curly hair, but she almost always wore it long and never before had it seemed such a weight--not even when dripping, soaking wet. It was beautiful and intricate and effectively perfect, but it was more of a burden than she felt she could bear; it was almost as if she felt unworthy of it.

Unworthy of a hairstyle? Even in her head it sounded silly. Then again... did it? Perfect hair. Perfect flowers. Perfect dress. Maybe such things were only cheap parodies on someone so thoroughly flawed.

She was in the king and queen's bedchamber--her future bedchamber, she supposed. The queen and Holladrin and a bitter Catherelle had overseen the maids and seamstresses as they made their finishing touches on Jeda's hair and outfit, then the servants had left and the ladies had taken to cooing over how pretty she was--not that she'd believed them. The queen, no doubt, had been indulgent, and Catherelle must have gushed only out of duty. Holladrin might have been honest, but she was Jeda's stepmother; she had to think she was pretty.

She'd told them she was feeling a little overwhelmed and needed a minute alone, which hadn't been a lie; she was overwhelmed, and she did need a minute alone. As of last night, she was an official resident of the castle and had since been left alone only to sleep--and even then, not for very long. It would have been nice to have spent that last night at home, but the king and queen had insisted that no time be wasted, so here she was: an invited intruder, stifled yet aloof.

God, she wanted to go home! It was only an hour or so on horseback, but today, it seemed a world away. She missed the familiar rooms, the long halls in which she and Sparron had raced as children. She missed the familiar faces of the servants and the predictable neighing of the horses in the stables. She missed the cats that used to loiter in the courtyard, all those cute little strays that her stepmother loved and that her father pretended to like. More than anything else, she missed her family--and that void would grow with each passing day, she was sure of it.

But, just as she was about to plunge into utter misery, a safety net arrived in the form of a knock on the door. "Jeda?"

Her reflection smiled; therefore, she could only conclude that she was smiling as well. "Father!"

Her grin swelled as he stepped into the room and through the gap between the screens, then--not as mindful of her dress and hair as the queen might have preferred--she launched herself into his arms. She'd seen him the previous morning, just before she had left, but that might as well have been months ago now. "Father! You're here!"

"Of course I'm here." He placed his hands on her shoulders and kissed her on the forehead. "You didn't think I wouldn't come and see you before the ceremony, did you?"

She started to shake her head--although if she was honest with herself, she might have resigned herself to doubt. "I've missed you."

She half-expected him to laugh and remind her that it had only been a day; instead, he only nodded. "I've missed you too, angel. You look beautiful."

Jeda grimaced; it was rather bittersweet, realizing that the only man who had and likely ever would tell her she was beautiful was her father. "Thank you."

He gave her an honest, somber sort of smile, then looked toward the couch just behind the mirror. "Might we have a word?"

Obliged, Jeda turned around and proceeded to the sitting area, collapsing onto the seat occupied by Holladrin earlier; her father followed.

He took a minute to contemplate before speaking, as though unsure how to phrase what he was about to say. "Jeda... you know that I don't think this marriage is the best of ideas, correct?" She nodded, not certain if she meant to confirm or agree--or perhaps both. "I tried to buy you more time, you know. I never wanted you to marry so young, and I certainly think you could do better than Ietrin. When his father told me that a date had been set, I tried to protest, but the stubborn ass wouldn't budge."

She didn't think she had ever seen him like this--not even all those years ago when her mysteriously absent mother had finally returned in the form of a headstone in the crypt. He looked hopeless and disgusted with himself, as if he had failed her. He hadn't, but she doubted she could convince him of that. "I'm sorry, Jeda."

"It's all right." She stretched her arms to her knees and met his eye. She wished he would smile, but she didn't think he would unless she did first--and Lord knew her store of smiles was exhausted. "I was going to have to marry him anyway, wasn't I? Might as well get it over with."

Her father sighed. "But it's your whole life, Jeda."

She shrugged. "I don't know what else I would have done with it. I was always going to marry Ietrin; I've known that for as long as I can remember. It's what Mother wanted."

Unsettled, her father sat down beside her, his head bowed and his eyes skeptical. "Jeda, your mother was a very... complex woman. What she wanted when you were a baby isn't necessarily what she would have wanted now. You and Ietrin are two very different people, and if nothing else--given the uh, circumstances--I don't believe your mother would have wanted to see you married to someone with whom you were completely incompatible, no matter how convenient a match it was for her."

She would have take his word on that; as little as she suspected he actually knew her mother, she had to admit that she herself couldn't claim to have known her any better. "All right..."

"Anyway, what I wanted to say was--" he paused, no doubt rearranging the words in his mind once again before letting them breach his mouth "--if you ever want to come home, either for a short break or for good, I hope you know that we'll take you in with open arms. If things get to be too much to handle here... well, you'll always have a place with us."

Jeda folded her hands in her lap, her thumb furrowing into the groove beneath her knuckle with a force she hadn't been expecting. "I know."

"You won't forget that?"

"I won't."

Her father placed his arm on the back of the couch and slouched. "You know, if you want to go home right now, then I'm sure your brother could stall for time while you--"

She shook her head, then leaned to meet him in the middle, her head resting against his. "Father, you already punched the king; I don't want you getting into any more trouble over me."

"It wouldn't be trouble."

Jeda sighed. It would have all been so much easier had that been true.

NEXT CHAPTER:

13 comments:

Van said...

Gaaah, that preview pic annoyed the hell out of me. Stupid gibbled kissing animations... *kicks game*

Although I did discover that if you are constantly pressing pause while your Sims are making out on a couch, you will undoubtedly find some hilarious poses XD

Also, I know that Jeda's wedding dress used to be Camaline's formal, but I only have like, three white formal dresses for teen girls (and I know most wedding dresses weren't actually white until Queen Victoria started that whole trend, but I don't have much teen girl formal-wear as it is and I had to distribute it among all the teen noble girls somehow). Camaline also wore Leara's wedding dress once, and that one was also Lileina's wedding dress o_O

Pen said...

I know what you mean about those animations. Try the slowmotion cheat.

I almost felt bad for Octavius here. I'm also not quite sure I agree with him about what Medea would have wanted.

Van said...

The slow motion cheat sounds promising. Not sure if it'll work with just the base game, though... I'll have to try it out.

Yeah, I'm not sure if anyone knows what Medea would have wanted. Geneva might have had some idea, but it's too late for her insight now.

Anonymous said...

Jeda, Jeda, Jeda! What are you doing?? Stop fooling yourself! Go home with your papa NOW!

This writing was wonderfully evocative -- I felt completely stifled, squirmy and miserable. Just as I'm imagining Jeda is feeling. And then being kept virtual prisoner by Roderick and Laralita! *shudders*

I hope she's out of there soon. Even if Octavius is no more by the time Jeda realizes she's had enough, I bet Sparron would take her back. And I sure hope Camaline would remember what that house is like and let her come back too.

Van said...

Oh, there will probably come a time when she wishes she did just that :(

Off the top of my head, I'm not sure what Octavius's life span is, but I know I'm going to need him hanging around for a while, so there's a good chance he'll still be alive and kicking when/if Jeda decides she's had enough. And you're right, even if he isn't, Sparron would take her in, and I don't imagine Camaline will object--even Camaline isn't that mean.

Thanks Morgaine :)

The Lunar Fox said...

How far they've all come through the years. When that deal was made, Geneva and Medea were the Incredible Duo of Naroni.

Jeda is showing some great strength here, and I have great hope for her that she will not end up like her mother.

But I don't like your comment. There will come a time she'll regret this moment? :( Ietrin better not hurt her. Pissing her off is fine, but hurting her physically or emotionally will not be cool.

Van said...

Ah yes... back before all the shit hit the fan :S

I can't imagine Jeda will end up quite like her mother, but there's certainly reason for concern for her future.

As for what Ietrin does... well, I guess we'll see?

S.B. said...

Marriage under any circumstances is a crap shoot on a rigged table. At least Jeda seems to know what she's dealing with, and she has somewhere to go. Poor girl.

The dress is beautiful!

Van said...

At the very least, she doesn't seem to be the same little girl she used to be, fancying herself in love with Ietrin and desperate for his approval. She's seen him more for what he is now--he might still surprise her given time, but at least she doesn't have her hopes up.

That being said, sometimes it sucks to be enlightened :(

I like that dress too. Of the three girls, I think Jeda ended up with the nicest one. There's also a black velvet version of this dress; we saw Raia in that here.

thewynd said...

Jeda is nothing if not enlightened about what she is getting into. She has truly matured and I think she would make a good queen when/if the time comes. Unfortunately I don't see this future of hers as particularly bright.

Having said that, Ietrin had better treat her with the respect she deserves which of course he won't. If he'd had a father even remotely similar to Octavius...

Van said...

She certainly has grown up a lot since the days when she was a kid, swooning over Ietrin. Then again, it must have gotten to the point where his rejection was painfully obvious and that kind of turned her off.

But yes, she certainly does have the potential to be a good queen. Naroni is going to need that after X years of Laralita o_O

I wouldn't hold my breath about Ietrin treating her right, though :(

Chene said...

You probably don't remember me (from my past comments that I've read I'm not quiet memorable)It's been years since I've read Naroni and I am so happy to have rediscovered it. I'm rereading a few months of posts to get myself oriented before I continue on to the new-to-me stuff.
I had forgotten how different Naroni is from any other place at the time. children tend to stay with and be raised by their parents which really causes big changes in the way thing work. For example; if I send my child to be raised in his own/another household or by maids I won't have as much of an emotional connection. This chapter seemed so odd to me after years of not reading Naroni and reading other historical fiction. You NEVER see a relationship like this (not saying this is a bad thing, it's just weird for me!)
I am excited to get all caught up, and learned what happens with my OTP from all those years ago (Searle and Sparron)I'm trying hard not to look at family trees or character profiles (unless I REALLY can't remember who someone is)because i don't want any spoilers. I know all of this is just observation, I've been binge reading and it's been on my mind for a while.

Van said...

I do remember you! I believe your old handle was chene303? It was something with numbers. Welcome back! :)

It's true that I've taken pretty substantial liberties with Naroni in terms of what was common practice at the time. They do have some ties with countries that actually existed, but even characters from those places (e.g. Isidro, if you got that far; I can't remember where you left off, but he was introduced in 1175?) have been brought up more in accordance with what the plot required of them than with the historical traditions of their given countries. That may be "wrong" of me, but... eh, I'm not making any money off of this. :P

Searle and Sparron! Heheh, it's 1184 in Naroni presently and I'm still not done with them (though it's been a while since they had several posts in the same time period). I hope you've managed to avoid any huge spoilers so far.

Nothing wrong with binge reading or observations! I'm glad you're back, and I hope you continue to enjoy. :)