January 4, 2011

In Which Riona Gets the Wrong Impression

April 15, 1171

"There you are!" Princess Riona grinned in triumph as she spied her brother at last, slumped on the couch in their father's study. "I've looked everywhere, you know--why do you always have to be in the last place I look?"

"Because why the hell would you keep looking after you've already found me?" Well, someone sure was grumpy today. Not that Riona could see why; if preparations had started for her wedding, she would have been absolutely over the moon, not to come down for months. Maybe it was just a boy thing?

Yes, that must have been it. Ietrin frowned. "What do you want, anyway?"

"You're needed in Mother's dressing room." Why did she have to tell him? He'd known the seamstress and the tailor was coming today--hadn't he?

"Why?"

Apparently not. "Silly! Leara got fitted for her gown, and now they're almost done with Camaline's, and they're going to do your tunic next!"

Her brother didn't seem enthused; indeed, he might have even been annoyed. Another boy thing, no doubt. "And why do you care, exactly?"

"Because after that, it's my turn!" Riona clasped her hands together and released a dreamy sigh. "Mother did say I could have a new dress too, you know."

"Well, good for you."

She smiled for a second, just before it dawned on her that he hadn't meant it literally. "You're not very happy right now, are you?"

Ietrin blinked once. Twice. Thrice. "Wherever did you get that impression, Riona? I'm fucking ecstatic."

NEXT CHAPTER:

7 comments:

Van said...

Sorry about this random piece of nothing. Long story short, I am coughing so hard right now that I'm frankly astounded that my lungs haven't come shooting right out my mouth yet, and I've had such a generally unproductive day that I feel better about posting disappointing fluff than not posting at all :S

But I'll make it up next post? With a sort-of-pleasant-ish surprise?

Anonymous said...

Aww, Van, I hope you feel better soon. :( Those types of cold are the spawn of Satan. And the post was good so don't worry about a thing.

But oh goodness. When I first saw the preview pic, I thought that was Camaline! I should have known that Camaline would never look so sweet and ingratiating. Especially not with her brother.

As for Riona ... eek, she's just like her mother! *hides* No wonder Ietrin has no patience with her. But he doesn't want to get married yet, hmm? Interesting. Very interesting.

I wonder what Roderick would say if Ietrin asked him to put the wedding off. Explode again, perhaps? Probably.

There's a Tavrin in the preview pic! *does happy dance*

Van said...

Thanks Morgaine. I'm feeling a little better now, but still quite bad :(

Heh... they do have the same skintone, and it was Roderick's castle. That and I don't think we've seen Riona since she was a toddler, so I didn't think anyone was expecting a post with her.

Riona is... very much like her parents, especially her mother, but I think she does have the potential to be sweeter if need be. Her younger sister Ramona, on the other hand, is nothing like either Roderick or Laralita--but we'll see that a few years in the future.

But yeah, Ietrin doesn't want to get married yet. He's only sixteen, and he doesn't really find Jeda attractive or interesting, and for all we know he might fancy himself in love with Ellona (although this is Ietrin we're talking about).

But yeah, Roderick would be pissed if he knew Ietrin wanted to call it off. Very, very pissed :S

Pen + herself = Pen said...

Suck it up, Ietrin!

And yay! Happy Tavrin.

Hope you feel better, Van!! *sends digital chicken soup*

Van said...

Heheheh :P

Thanks Pen *starts on the soup*

Epi said...

That was a lot of catching up to do - but I'm glad I did!

Really nice story you've got here.

Van said...

*cue party music*

Thanks, Epi, and welcome! Glad you're enjoying so far :)