June 27, 2010

In Which Raia Sees the Ghost of Her Father

April 12, 1167

All Raia really wanted to do was sleep. She was tired and grieving and overwhelmed, and as stupid as it may have been, some small part of her thought that maybe if she just closed her eyes for a couple of hours, everything would be fine. Maybe this was all just a bad dream. Maybe when she woke, it would be days prior and her mother would still be alive.

She had spent the past while trailing after her father as he tucked in each of her siblings, as he was in a phase--at least, she hoped it was only a phase--of forgetting things. Small things, perhaps, but things nonetheless: Lonriad's extra blanket, Riona's little toy rabbit, the last verse of Viridis's lullaby. After making sure that all of her siblings had been settled properly, she figured she had no choice but to stop by her parents' bedroom--her father's bedroom, she corrected herself. The last thing they needed was for him to doze off while leaving a candle lit.

But indeed, he hadn't even gone to bed yet; he simply stood beside it, fully dressed, staring down at the mattress as if trying to decide whether it was safe to touch.

"Father?" she ventured, stepping into the room and making her way around the bed. "Father, why are you still awake?"

A few seconds passed with nothing but the heavy silence of the mind's labored attempt to translate feelings to words. Raia had mentally counted to fifteen before she was given a reply. "She died in this bed."

From the far-off tone of his voice, she couldn't tell if he was speaking to her or to himself or to some obscure presence of which she was unaware. Nevertheless, she clung to every word as he continued; she doubted neither he nor any unseen observer could be bothered to listen. "I've spent the past few nights on the couch in my study. Did you know that?"

Raia shook her head, though her father's eyes never left the bed. "You know, I've slept in this bed for years, but... never without her. It doesn't feel right to get into this bed knowing that she won't be joining me.

"I mean... she died here. I know; I was here too."

Somehow, he had aged a decade in two days--two grief-filled, sleepless days of mourning. It was painful just looking at him; her mother's corpse had appeared more alive. "Father..."

"Don't worry about me, Raia. Just get some sleep, all right?"

Sighing, Raia turned away and followed his gaze to the empty bed. What if Vera or Riona was roused from a nightmare? What if they ran here, tears streaming from their little faces, just to find that their mother was not the only one who had vanished from this room? "You need your sleep too, though. You look exhausted."

He flexed his hand, then began to massage his other wrist. "Sleep is such a task these days. I daresay I've forgotten much of the process."

"I believe it's more waiting than anything else," Raia muttered, tugging at the sleeve of her velvet mourning gown. How did one describe 'sleep'? It seemed the sort of thing one needed Tavrin for--not unlike saving one's mother.

Her father stiffened. "Waiting. I've spent two days dreading my wife's funeral; before that, I spent three days dreading her death. I can't sleep because I spend the night dreading the dawn. I'm not sure I'd give that the good name of 'waiting'." He closed his eyes, forcing himself take a few forced, seething breaths. "I'm just not really sure of anything anymore. I half-expect to cease existing every time I blink."

Raia swallowed as she turned to face her father again. She'd known he was hurting--any fool could have seen that--but he was beginning to scare her. I half-expect to cease existing... What if he wanted to cease existing? What if he grew tired of half-expecting and decided to execute the end himself? She was eleven years old; how was she supposed to be both parents to her six younger siblings? "Please try to get some rest, Father."

He crossed his arms, drumming his fingers against his bicep. "I'm sorry, baby. I probably shouldn't have said anything. I know you're in a lot of pain too."

"Don't apologize," she told him, though she couldn't decide whether or not she meant it. "I'm the eldest. If you have to talk to one of us about any of this, it should be me. The others have already been through more than they should have ever had to at their age."

"So have you," her father insisted as he pulled her in for a hug. "I don't want you worrying too much about your brothers and sisters--and certainly not about me. It's not going to be life as usual, but your mother wouldn't have wanted the bulk of the burden to fall to you."

Raia blinked, a tear breaking away from the surface of her eye and soaking her lashes. "She wouldn't have wanted it to fall to you, either. I'll have one of the guest chambers prepared for you, all right? Mother would have wanted you to try to get some sleep, at least."

Squinting, he released her, patting her on the shoulder before allowing his hand to fall listlessly to his side. "Thank you."

She nodded, but she didn't dare meet his eye. Ever since Lorn had lost his father--and then even moreso after Had had lost his mother--she'd wondered in horrified dread when it would be her turn to lose a parent. It had never occurred to her that losing one may have meant losing both.

NEXT CHAPTER:

11 comments:

Phoenix said...

That last sentence sums it up pretty well. I don't believe she'll ever have the father that she once had. Severin is going to be completely changed. Death changes people... especially the death of a loved one.

And I don't blame Severin for not being able to sleep in that bed.

Keri said...

When I read the title of this post I was like this O_O and I thought don't you DARE kill Severin too!! lol.

Poor Raia, she's going to have to be that mothering figure for a while. I can't see Severin getting over this anytime soon and looking for another wife. Plus she's so young and she's trying to be so strong for her father.

Van said...

Phoenix: Yeah, I wouldn't want to sleep in a bed where my significant other died either :S

As for Severin being the same again... well, maybe not exactly the same, but I am hopeful that he'll regain some strength eventually. From my own observations, people generally do better if they just let themselves grieve early on instead of keeping it all bottled up just to maintain some sense of normalcy. So I'm guessing he's going to get worse--possibly way worse--but then he'll eventually get sort of better. I can't imagine how the story would manage to proceed past perpetual gloom if he never did.

Of course, that won't be any time soon :(

Keri: Sometimes I wonder about the reactions to my titles. I was expecting that this one might cause a bit of panic.

Yep, Raia's going to have to be the mother figure unless Severin remarries--which, if he does, won't be for quite some time. She's in for rough times ahead--so young, worried about her family, and at the end of the day, she's not the most maternal of people, at least at this point in her life.

Anonymous said...

I start the day crying, I end the day crying. And the banner at the top of the page is Severin and Alina. Double WAH!!

God, I feel for Raia, though. And Severin, of course. But poor Raia, taking on most of the burden because ... well, everyone else is falling apart. Not that I blame them in the slightest, but still, it's a lot for an eleven-year-old to handle.

And having to worry if her father might kill himself on top of it ... *sniffle* Poor kid.

Van said...

Sorry :(

Raia is probably about the strongest person in the family at this point--and by strongest, I mean the one who's most likely to find a healthy balance of mourning and moving on. The other kids are too young, and obviously Severin's not in any position to do so just yet.

I can't imagine he'd kill himself--he does have seven kids and a shire-ful of people who need him, and he knows that--but it's understandable that Raia would be worried that he might be at least thinking about it :(

thewynd said...

Severin looks so world-weary. I can hardly blame him having lost the love of his life. It doesn't surprise me that he would find it difficult to sleep in the bed he shared with Alina. It probably still has her scent on the sheets and pillow.

The thing that strikes me is realizing that as strong a man as Severin is, much of his strength came from her. What he feels, the grief, the loss, the utter pain is normal and you nailed those emotions beautifully in him.

I think Raia will manage to hold things together with a little help perhaps from friends and family.

Van said...

It's probably going to be quite some time before he can bring himself to get in that bed again :(

But yeah, a lot of his strength did come from Alina. He's practically lost a part of himself.

As for Raia, she does have a good support group. It's going to be rough, but she's a scrapper.

Verity said...

I felt so sad reading this post and then *boom* naked people at the end. I'm so glad Celina and Ovrean finally get together. Hurray, something happy :)

Ack Severin is just breaking my heart. In other news he looks rather phwoar with his hair like that but I would switch the phwoar for non-heartbroken Severin any day.

Van said...

Haha, I was wondering if anyone would comment on that. Sad, sad, sad... NEKKID! :P

I'd been meaning to switch Severin to that hair for a while now. One day, I was looking over pictures of his parents and just thought to myself "You know, looking at the two of them, he should really have smoother hair". At first I wanted to switch him to one sort of like his dad's, but those were too long to just throw on him and I didn't have any hairs of the appropriate intermediate lengths (also, they made him look far too Lonriady). But then I found this one--not so long, and silky without being meticulous.

But it was still drastic enough that I figured I had to wait for some major life-changing event :(

Penelope said...

How long had he been standing there? For someone so crippled by the loss of his wife, I have to commend him for still being a father. A lesser fellow might have withdrawn from everything and everyone. There is hope for Severin yet.

Gosh, Raia really is Severin's mini-me. Look at that face!

Van said...

Hmmm. Good question. Probably not so long that he would have expected Raia to be asleep, but long enough to cause some need for concern.

Raia looks nothing like Alina. None of the kids do, really, except for some of their coloring. Viridis probably resembles her mother the most, but she's no dead-ringer.