May 17, 2013

In Which Riona Confirms Her Choice

September 9, 1181

"Ridiculous, isn't it?" The dresser drawer shut and Isidro's bare feet shuffled across the floor. Riona kept her eye on the fire. It was a silly thought, but she'd never been a stone-faced liar, and he was better than most for seeing through her. "Needing a fire at this time of year."

"I don't mind." To prove it, she jabbed one log and pushed it off the other, though after an initial burst the flame did suffer for it. In truth, she did sort of mind, but it was conversation and it was reassuring. If she'd wanted to worry him unnecessarily, she would have confessed to eavesdropping.

"Uh-huh." He drew a little nearer and stared down at the fire, half appreciative, half disgusted. "I hope the kids are having better weather back home."

"They should be. I'm more concerned about whether they're behaving themselves with their grandparents."

"They should be. And even if they're not, your father and stepmother will find ways to cope. Or they can make themselves scarce and leave them to Uncle Jadin and Aunt Xeta." He shrugged. "Or Uncle Roddie."

"I think I trust Roddie more than I trust Jadin."

He let out a short breath that might have been a laugh. He got credit for trying. "I think I agree with you. It won't be long before they can look after themselves, though."

"Thank God for that!" She dropped the poker and turned to the side for a kiss, fingers weaving through his hair after their lips parted. At least this trip was almost over, and they'd be home again soon. They could relax again, recover from the stress of dying relatives and relatives that should just die already. As for the baby thing... well, she wouldn't press him, if he really didn't want another. She wouldn't even bring it up again until Nato was more mobile and Alya could maybe watch her little siblings in a pinch.

But before the relaxing commenced, she would absolutely steal back those ten pieces.

"This vacation merits another vacation."

"And by 'vacation', I hope you mean 'several days at home, the majority of the hours spent in bed'." He squeezed her hands and she let herself laugh a little, not quite at ease but pleased by the thought. Lonriad had been right: it felt like it had been much longer than a month. "I'm sorry I dragged you into all this."

"Don't be. I dragged myself into it."

And really... "And you didn't volunteer either. You don't get to choose your family."

"Not the one you're born with, anyway--though I can see why you would have chosen yours."

Riona smiled. She had been lucky that way, and so had he, really. If any family could make up for the misfortune of his own, it was hers. "I would have chosen them. And then I would have stolen you."

"I wouldn't have put up a fight." A flame in the hearth swelled and a hint of it caught in his eye. "We really need to get home."

NEXT CHAPTER:

3 comments:

Van said...

Okay. So.

I'm leaving town on Sunday and I'll be gone for the rest of the month. I will have enough of a buffer of pictures worked to cover my usual schedule; however, I can't guarantee that I will have the time to keep it. I'm hoping to at least be able to get the projected number of posts up, but I can't say which days will end up being Naroni days.

Sorry about that!

Anonymous said...

Don't apologize for having fun adventures! :) We'll all be here when you get back.

It's nice to see Riona being so reassuring with Izzy -- she really has grown up a lot from when she cut her hair and decided to go on crusade. I love how she said that she would have stolen Izzy if she could have. She really did steal him already. ;)

Also, this: "she would absolutely steal back those ten pieces." YES. DO IT.

And if Domingo gets Ashe to cough up, steal back his 5 pieces too. ;)

Van said...

I already have the next post written, actually--my hope is to post it tomorrow morning before I leave, providing I get up early enough to do so (though if that doesn't happen, it will have to wait until Monday night, at least). I'm working on the one after that right now. ;)

Riona has grown up quite a bit--not to the point where she's not herself, but she's outgrown the worst of her former selfishness. She does have a soft spot and a half for Izzy.

Ten pieces, back in their pockets. I'm guessing Ashe did cough up to avoid the drama, but if Riona finds fifteen pieces when she goes for the ten, I'm sure she won't worry about numbers. ;)