May 15, 2013

In Which Isidro Has It His Way

September 8, 1181

Isidro's father waited until Riona's boot disappeared from the top stair and sounded from the floor above. Ashe and Lonriad had gone with the first request, probably wanting to avoid the worst of the drama, but Riona hadn't budged until Isidro had swallowed back his selfish wants and begged her to follow the others. He'd already dragged her enough of this shit.

"Sit." Like he was nine again, Isidro did so automatically and cursed himself all the while. He couldn't think of a dog who was so blindly obedient. "Care to explain to me why you've come trespassing in my house?"

'To get out of the rain' would not suffice. No, that would just bring forth one of those old war stories, in which Domingo and his fellow knights had found equal violence in enemies and the elements, yet had pressed on and prevailed, a stop not even considered. Of course Isidro should aspire to the same, though Domingo would have no doubt that he never could. "You're not usually here this time of year."

"I have some gold hidden on the property. I've come to retrieve it." Was it an insult, no hint of warning or wariness? His father might have thought him incapable of even basic, petty theft, and therefore beyond the bother of lying. "But unless you've been using my house for years without my knowledge, I think the same could be said of you. I don't think much of Naroni myself, but surely you find it more than suited to your needs year-round."

"If you must know, I received an invitation from my grandfather. We happened to pass through here on the way back."

Domingo stiffened for a minute, then snorted. Heaven forbid alarm was a feeling worth showing. "That old codger is still alive?"

"Yes." The 'probably not for much longer' was worth the omission.

"Hmm. Can't imagine why he'd want to see you, but most are mad by that age. Men aren't meant to live that long; when the day comes that you're too old and weak to lift your sword, the best thing to do is to fall on it."

"I don't see your sword on you."

Wherever that glimmer of boldness had shot from, it returned when a cuff to the head smacked it aside. "Mind your manners, boy, or I'll leave your inheritance to my horse."

"What?" He couldn't have heard that right... had he? Was there a word that made sense in context that might have been mistaken for... that? "I thought you'd named Augustin your heir."

"That was the plan, before he blew it with Maria and married that del Marinos bitch instead." Domingo almost spat the name as he took to the couch instead. "Marries one of that bastard Kaldar's slut daughters, then Casimiro goes and marries the other one. And Bernardo marries a peasant! At least you managed a lord's daughter, even if her father is a lunatic."

"He's not a lunatic."

"Hmm." His father wasn't the sort who often changed his position; a patronizing utterance was the best he could hope for. "Well, I suppose he seems reasonable next to your mother."

And a comparison like that was the worst. "You don't get to talk about my mother."

"And what right have you to say so? You can't say I never did anything for that woman." A pale finger reached for Isidro's face and traced over his scar. The sting rivaled that of the original etching. "The truth about that never left my household, did it? Not unless you spread it about yourself."

No. It wasn't a story he had any right to tell. "Don't blame her for that." You blame her for too much as it is.

"I'll place the blame where it belongs. Now, I hope you weren't planning on staying any longer than just the night."

Isidro shook his head. "No. We just needed to get out of the rain."

"Then I suppose you and your companions may sleep here, so long as you tidy up after yourselves and you're gone before I wake."

I wouldn't have it any other way. "All right."

"And I didn't get where I am by being charitable. If a traveler caught in the rain wants to stay under my roof, he shouldn't expect to do so for less than five pieces."

Given that there were four of them, that meant Domingo owed someone twenty. But Isidro didn't want to further the conversation. After all this, he just wanted to sleep.

He stood and stepped to the fireplace, feeling the carved wooden edge for a hidden compartment. He pried it open, fished out his purse, and began to place the coins. "Here's ten for Riona and me. You can pester Ashe and Lonriad before they turn in."

NEXT CHAPTER:

7 comments:

Van said...

Oh the fatigue. :S

Ann said...

Bah, this is about what I expected. Damn you, Domingo! You total ass!

Van said...

Domingo never does promise much. :S

Anonymous said...

*shudders* The man does not improve with age.

And I think Domingo crossed a bunch of lines here. I have to admit, when he cuffed Izzy, I kind of wished Izzy would physically retaliate. Izzy is an adult. Domingo doesn't get to lay a finger on him unless Izzy gives his explicit permission (in writing! In triplicate!), and now Izzy is capable of backing that principle up in the only way Domingo will understand.

But he wouldn't ... 'cause he's better than that. Or something.

However, I live in hope that when Domingo goes to collect his money from Lonriad, Lonriad laughs in his face and tells him right where to stick it.

Van said...

Domingo was a bit difficult to write here. He certainly hasn't improved and he wasn't supposed to have, but at the same time, he's getting up in years and he's starting to realize that he's very much alone, even if he hasn't managed to connect that to his behaviour. The Domingo of yesteryear would have been more aggressive.

Sadly, I don't think Izzy is quite ready to stand up to Domingo, at least not if he's only got himself to defend. Some part of him probably thinks he deserves it.

If anyone is going to refuse to pay, it's Lonriad (or Riona, but Riona's already been covered). Lonriad might just ask how much Domingo paid Severin when they stopped over that one time and that could be the end of it.

Winter said...

"I didn't get where I am by being charitable." Well, there's an understatement for you, but a true one. Domingo's isolation is all his doing. Jerk.

I'd pay five pieces to see Domingo try to get money out of Lonriad!

Van said...

It's totally all his own doing, whether he gets it at this point or not. I doubt even his sister has much to do with him these days, and not just because he has more grandchildren than she does.

It would make for an interesting show. Lonriad is too much his father's son to cave to someone he doesn't respect at all.