May 4, 2013

In Which Ellona Assumes the Opposite Reason

August 28, 1181

"My favorite sister-in-law!" Well... Ellona hadn't met any of Casimiro's sisters. Except Catalina, of course, but if Ellona had to keep reminding herself that they'd met, then clearly she'd failed to make an impression. In any case--well, she wouldn't tell Casimiro, but she did prefer Tivie. By far. "Thank God you're here! Some will tell you otherwise, but take it from me: there is no worse company in the world than a kicking infant!"
As the embrace broke, Tivie grimaced. Ellona kicked herself. Perhaps the joke had been bad form--Tivie and Neilor had been married a while now, and her stomach was still flat as ever. But certainly Tivie wasn't the sort of woman who spent all of her time fretting about getting pregnant? Indeed, she was probably the type who might not have been keen to get on with it, favoring her own pursuits?

Then again, Ellona once assumed the same about Xeta.

"I can imagine. But, uh... should we sit? For your comfort, of course."

Ellona had been sitting all week, but Tivie seemed eager to get off her feet, so she supposed she could oblige--if only as a fair penance for the thoughtless comment. "Very well."

She took to the nearer couch while Tivie took the other, perpendicular to her. Her profile betrayed an unease unfitting of her; it wasn't long before her voice confirmed. "Ellona, I'll admit that a casual visit is only a pretense. I need to speak with you about something important, and I prefer it if we're alone."

"All right. But I should warn you, I'm not good with advice."

"Who is? But I figured it was either you or Neilor, and this isn't something I want to be bothering him about if possible. I'm sure he'll be doing enough worrying without my help."

Ellona snorted. That did sound like Neilor. "He does worry a lot for a man."

"Perhaps, but he's a good judge of what merits worry--usually." That was true. Casimiro was the same. Most men who worried, it seemed, weren't so good at picking their concerns. Ietrin came to mind right away.

"Even the best have their slips. What is it you don't want to worry him with?"

"Well..." Ah, the pause. This would be awkward. "Your mother. She was always rather...?"

"Horrible?" Tivie flushed. Alas, it wasn't anything Ellona hadn't come to terms with long ago. "Yes. Why?"

"Well, my mother was great, as was my stepfather. My father, though... you know." Her fingernail caught on cushion's embroidery. Ellona hoped Casimiro wasn't too attached to the pattern. "I know he was troubled, but he still abandoned us. That's not the sort of thing you can forget."

Ellona shook her head. "No, probably not."

"So... growing up with that in a parent, I'm not really sure if..." Tivie's hand fluttered over her stomach. Ellona blinked. So that comment had been inappropriate for the opposite reason.

But at least she could maybe help? "You're... worried that you won't be able to be the mother your baby deserves?"

A nod. "I mean, my father must have wanted to be a good father at some point, but then he just gave up. What if I'm not any stronger?"

Then at least she would only be a weak parent--not a cruel one. "I don't think you're a flight risk like your father, Tivie."

"I came here on a whim, didn't I? Twice."

"Those weren't whims. The first time was for closure. The second time was for love. I wouldn't call either of those whims." Her sister-in-law shrugged. She wasn't convinced, but that would take time. Kaldar had been more than visible before Ellona had overcome her dread of becoming Elarys, if she ever really had. Once Tivie told him, Neilor would have to deal with the same problem. "You're not going to run away on your baby, and Neilor's not going to become a manipulative bastard. You're going to be great parents."

"You sound like my mother." From what Ellona knew of Tivie's mother, that was a compliment. She could cling to that in her own moments of self-doubt. "I wish I was more like you, and like her. You're both so genuine. I think I seem more confident than I actually am."

Maybe she was. But it took courage to admit to a lack of confidence, and courage was the bigger thing. Wasn't it?

"I think most of us do."

NEXT CHAPTER:

5 comments:

Van said...

I think I took too many pictures for this post.

Also, my sick seems to be returning. :(

Ann said...

Awww, poor Tivie! That's not something she should need to worry about. Ellona is right though, she'll make a very good mother.
They both will.

Poor Van! I'm sorry to hear that. :( Here's hoping you'll feel better very soon!

Van said...

Yeah, I think either of them would have to try to be worse parents than Searle (and certainly to be worse parents than Elarys!). Understandable worries, but not really justified.

Thanks. I'm still feeling quite bleh, but we'll see what happens.

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better soon, Van!

And Tivie. :( But I'm with ... uh, everybody other than Tivie: she'll be a great mom. And like Ellona said, she's not a flight risk. I can't help but think that when Searle took off, it had nothing to do with Tivie or even Danthia but with everything else in his messed-up life. The situations were so different (between Tivie and Twincest Searle) that there's really no comparison.

And if Tivie is worried ... would it be possible for Danthia to come for the birth and stay for a while after, while Tivie gets over the worst of the transition? It might make Tivie feel more secure and stable to have her mother around. And wouldn't Danthia want to see her (first?) grandbaby as soon as possible?

Plus, if Neilor shows signs of becoming like Elarys (which ... would probably take a personality transplant), Danthia can knock some sense into him. Heck, so could Twincest Searle, for all that I don't think anyone would want him around.

(Late Kellie is late to the commenting party as usual ...)

Van said...

Yeah, Searle's initial departure really had nothing to do with Tivie or Danthia, at least not any deeper than at surface level. At this point in her life, Tivie has nothing to run from (or to); hopefully things stay that way for quite some time.

Danthia has an infant at home, but by the time Tivie's due date (March) rolls around, the kid will probably be old enough for a few weeks with just Daddy and the nurses if Danthia was to head to Naroni. And yep, this will be Danthia's first grandkid (er, technically; Tivie's half-sister/step-sister Cladelia is also pregnant and due about a month before, and Danthia's the only mother Cladelia's ever really known, so she'll be the effective grandmother to this baby as well).

I don't think Neilor is at any more risk of becoming like Elarys, but if anyone could beat some sense into him, it's Danthia. ;)