February 15, 2013

In Which Rona Is Promised Within the Year

March 11, 1181

"Oh, no. If you wanted more time to absorb the waking world, you shouldn't have taken so long coming out." Darry squirmed in firm refusal, even after Rona had laid him in his crib. "You're clean and fed and you already met your papa and your grandma and all the nice ladies who helped you out. There's no point in you being awake if I'm not going to be, so go to sleep." Not that there was much point in reasoning with an infant, but Rona hadn't slept in over a day and half and she didn't intend to keep up that streak for much longer. "Sleep."

"Is he protesting nap-time already?" Ashe had returned, apparently; sure enough, just one glance back and there he was, Yvanette in his arms. Rona shot them the most energetic smile she could muster, though it likely wasn't much. "It's all right. I'll stay with him while you get some sleep."

"You'd better--he's half your fault, you know." She leaned in to give her new little son a quick kiss before stepping from the crib as Ashe brought Yvanette forward. The little girl stared into the crib with a wide-eyed fascination. "That's your little brother, sweetie."

Yvanette stretched out one little arm and waved down at him. "Hi!"

"He's very happy to meet you, but you'll have to be quiet; he's supposed to be asleep." Ashe winked the way of the crib as if stressing a hint. "You can play with him soon, but why don't you just play with your toys for now? Quietly, of course."

He placed Yvanette on the rug by her castle and handed her one of the dolls, patting her on the head as he returned to a stand. Rona took the chance to rest somewhat as he embraced her, leaning, almost lying on him like some vertical mattress. With any luck he'd carry her back to bed. It had been great to stretch her legs for a while--such a long, stationary labor would inspire that restlessness--but whatever rush of energy that sweet liberation had granted had all but vanished, and her exhaustion was catching up with her. "All that and he didn't even get your eyes."

"Yours are nicer anyway." Was he up to that again? She was too tired for this argument! "I'm glad you're all right. I was starting to worry there."

"I worried you would." Her forward scratched against the chain of his key. She hadn't quite expected that whole 'never taking it off' resolution to last over three years. "You're so sweet. I'm sorry I've been distant lately."

He shook his head. "No, I deserved it. Look, about that thing I haven't told you--"

Now? She pried herself off of him and dismissed it with a tired smile. Of all the times he could tell her, why now, when she could scarcely keep her eyes open? "Aww, honey, we don't need to talk about that..."

"Oh, no, not now. It would keep you up." Oh. Then yes--definitely not now. "I just meant... I'm sorry for keeping it from you. It's selfish of me, and cowardly. And I should have told you when you found me in the stables before the tournament. It should have been the first thing I said to you."

"So you'll tell me when I wake?"

"No."

Eh? "Ashe..."

"It's just... honestly, I don't know if I'll ever be ready to talk about it. But you have to know, and I know that, and I need to figure out exactly how to say it and how to make it easier for you to hear." He took her hand and squeezed it. His grasp had always been so comfortingly warm. "So I won't tell you today, or tomorrow, and probably not the day after that either. But I promise that the before the year is up, I'll tell you absolutely everything and however you react, I'll understand."

"Ashe--"

"No, I mean it this time. If it gets to be New Year's Eve and I still haven't told you, pester me until I relent. Really, you can even beat it out of me if you need to; I won't fight back."

"I'm not going to beat you." Silly boy. She laid her hands on either side of his face and pushed his hair out of his face, for all it just fell back as she finished. "And some time this year is fine with me. I promise I won't pester you until I have to. Can I sleep now?"

"Of course." He kissed her quickly, then looped one arm beneath her knees and lifted her. She was happy to live with that in place of his deep dark secrets for now. "Sleep all you want. I won't wake you unless Darry needs feeding--promise."

NEXT CHAPTER:

3 comments:

Van said...

Reeeeaaaaaading breeeeaaaaaak.

:)

Anonymous said...

And I'm on midterm break! AWESOME!!

And I have to say -- yay for Ashe! He's given himself some time to work up the courage, but with a firm deadline, he might just do it! (And two kids into things -- it's about time to start telling each other the truth!)

Also, Yvanette continues to be impossibly cute. She must have gotten all of Celina's niceness. She greets her new sibling with "Hi"?? This kid is too good to be true! ;)

Van said...

Yaaay for time off! :D

Yeah, Ashe is still terrified, but the commitment to a deadline is good step to take, particularly if said deadline is near enough to be a concern, but far enough away that panic shouldn't set in for a while yet. But yes--probably should have gotten it out of the way before the kids came into existence. :S

She does seem to take after her grandma there! Apparently I greeted my brother by telling the nurse she could take him back. XD