February 20, 2013

In Which Mona Is the Favorite

March 16, 1181

Mona's half-brother had a cold gaze that, if he willed it, could set any heart convulsing as it spiraled downward to the pelvis. He'd never turned it on her, but she'd seen it used before and the results had not been pretty. She turned her head somewhat as she stepped toward him, eyes nearly closed. Perhaps she was safe if she could not see it.

Searle sniffed. "I can't say you look particularly queenly."

"And you're not exactly regal yourself." Even through the blur of her lashes, his split ends obvious. So much for hoping she wasn't that much her parents' daughter after all. "But now that you're here, there's no sensible way to keep you from finding out: I'm not the queen."

"Really, now?" She had to pry open one eye. He wasn't giving her the death glare, or any glare at all, really--more like a shaded, cross-armed stare of mingled contemplation and amusement. "Odd. Since I crossed the border, it seems no one has much interest in anything besides the new little crown prince. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is a queen not required in the creation of a prince? Surely Devidra and her son aren't that close."

Mona tried not to linger on that thought, though she supposed such dark jokes weren't the worst of signs. Ietrin never would have mused such a thing aloud in her presence because he thought her a child. If Searle could, then he respected her as an adult, and therefore was more likely to hear her out. "Oh, of course not. Adrius's queen is my friend Anna--and for the record, that's what you have to call me in front of other people, everyone except Anna and Adrius and Sir Zareth."

"Anna."

"Yes."

"I see. You and your maid switched places en route."

It was good to know she didn't have to explain that part. "Yes. It was my idea. I didn't even ask her before I did it; she only went along with it because I made it difficult for her not to. Please don't get her in trouble. None of this is her fault, and she and Adrius are so in love--much more in love than he and I could have ever been."

Her brother snorted. "From what I know of him and what I know of you, I don't doubt it. But you don't have to worry; I can't see how I could benefit from blowing your cover, so you can consider your secret safe--except perhaps from Ren, but she won't go telling anyone either. Besides, everyone in this blasted country is so excited over this new little not-nephew of mine. Might as well let them have this.

"Besides, even if you should hope they never find out about it, it's perfect revenge against your parents. To think, their little princess is interchangeable with a servant!" Was she supposed to take offense to that? Coming from him, it didn't sound any more insulting than the average musing. "You know, I always did wonder why exactly you were my favorite half-sibling."

Eh? "I'm your favorite half-sibling?"

"Yes, but to be fair, your competition isn't exactly in good form. Unless perhaps my father has some spectacular bastards of which I am unaware." He winked--something she never would have guessed him capable of. Leara was still her favorite half-sibling, at least after poor Elhina's death, but maybe she and Camaline had some competition after all. "Just be sure to invite me whenever you actually do get married."

That seemed fair. "Of course."

And with that--someone knocked.

"I'll handle this. I'm sure I was enough for one day." Grateful, Mona took a seat while Searle faced the door with his head held high. "Yes?"

"My lord," Devidra greeted him with a stiff nod, forest eyes glinting as Mona caught their attention. "I see you've met Anna."

"Yes, my sister sent her down when Sir Zareth went to get her. Ramona wasn't comfortable telling Zareth, but Anna informs me that Prince Telvar's midday meal couldn't wait, and that Ramona will see me once that's over and done with." Believable, yet unlikely to spark any further questions. Not the worst lie he could have picked.

"I see."

Devidra looked Mona over again, as scrutinizing as she'd expected of Searle. She forced back that discomfort with a smile for her brother. "Perhaps I ought to leave, my lord. Her majesty may want a word with you."

"No, that won't be necessary," Devidra dismissed. Odd. Would she have come if she hadn't. "I merely wish to welcome our guest--a task I can complete just as well in the presence of another than out of it. With that, welcome to Carvallon, my lord; I trust your journey was not unpleasant?"

"Not in the slightest. The joy over the little prince's birth has made for a most hospitable populace." He swept her over with the quick glance, smiling all the while. "Though if you don't mind my saying, you don't look nearly old enough to be anyone's grandmother."

"I know, but that is neither here nor there." Devidra took one of the chains of her diadem in hand and twirled it about her finger. "I'm sure you're much more interested in meeting the little one than you are in flattering me."

"I wouldn't say 'much', but I am curious about the little fellow. Given Ramona's description and my own sweep of the family records, he seems to take after our grandfather's two grandmothers--sisters, the two of them, daughters of House Kemorin."

House Kemorin! Of course Searle would think to name one of the few traditionally dark-haired Dovian houses. And here she was, thinking he wouldn't even remember what Anna looked like!

"It's possible. But I can see his father in him, and his mother--and perhaps a bit of me, if it isn't just my vanity speaking." And yet, oddly enough, Mona had never seen Devidra looking quite so humble. If anyone could soften her, it seemed it was Telvar. "Anyway, come along; the boy's a quick eater, and I'm sure he's eager to meet his uncle."

NEXT CHAPTER:

8 comments:

Van said...

Ended up biting the bullet and switching to the new Photobucket while I have the time to adjust. It is actually not too bad, apart from the need to resize photos after they've been uploaded instead of automatically like I'm used to (unless that feature is hiding somewhere I haven't thought to look?). In any case, it seems they did a better job of keeping things user-friendly and actually taking feedback during their beta phase than some websites. *coughcoughBLOGGERcough*

Van said...

Also, I spent much of this photoshoot wishing Mona and Searle didn't match. *headdesk*

Ann said...

I knew there was a reason why I liked Searle-the-no-longer-dying! Peeew! Been fretting in vain it seems. ^^
Actually I thought it quite fitting that him and Mona were matching. Symbolic if you will. And Devidra knows, doesn't she?

Van said...

I think the only thing Searle could have possibly gained from revealing the switch would have been Roderick and Laralita's public embarrassment, and for all I'm sure that's appealing, I can't imagine he'd want that it his sister's expense, even if she is a half-sister from his least favorite parent who he barely knows.

Calling Mona out also would have meant breaking up a family, and I think Searle draws the line there, considering his own childhood.

I suppose it could be symbolic! XD I had no idea that shade Mona's wearing was almost identical to Minara purple. Might have made it lighter if I could have predicted all future CC choices. :S

Devidra does know. Actually, I originally had in mind that Devidra wanted to talk to Searle because she was going to tell him herself to keep it under wraps, but Mona beat her to it. I think Devidra may be even more pleased about that, though; not knowing Searle apart from possibly one or two letters, she has no idea whether he's the sort of man who could have feasibly played along without prompting as far as Mona and Anna could see, and Devidra is holding her cards close for now.

Anonymous said...

... Would letting the secret out mean breaking up the Adrius-Anna-Telvar family? I think Adrius would fight for Anna and Telvar. And he is the king. That ought to count for something. ;)

... Of course, there's no way Searle would know that walking into the situation.

I also like that Mona is his favorite half-sibling -- but why wouldn't she be? Let's look at the competition! They're all, as far as I can see, like Roderick or Laralita -- or BOTH! GAAH!! ;)

Van said...

Yeah, I don't think Adrius would let his family go down without a fight. But you're right, Searle doesn't know him, or how he might react to the pressure if it did come out in the open and the people weren't exactly happy.

We haven't seen much of Mona's full siblings. We saw her big sister Riona once, and she is a lot like a younger Laralita. Her younger sister seems okay, but not particularly interesting. We haven't met any of her brothers, but from what we've heard (and can expect, really), they're not too bright, which is why no one really wants them on the throne at this point (though really, I'd take one of them over Ietrin; they couldn't be worse than Roderick).

Winter said...

To be honest, before I saw your comment, I thought they matched on purpose.

Mona being Searle's favorite half-sibling was cute. It does make sense. After all, if anything proves Mona isn't Laralita's clone, it's her actively plotting to NOT marry a king.

Van said...

Well, they are both in purple on purpose, because I do tend to color code my families (makes for easier clothing selection for me, plus the family tries are a bit complicated and a lot of characters have the same first names so I figure it's nice to have an easy visual aid). But yeah, my main thought when shooting this was... too much purple! XD

Yep, I think Mona has sufficiently proven herself not another duplicate of her mother with the whole not-marrying-Adrius thing. That's got to win some points with Searle. ;)