December 29, 2012

In Which Ellona Does Dare

August 24, 1180

"You got married?!" Well, so much for subtlety being to a prince's advantage. For a brief second, Ellona found herself entertaining the shocking wish that Elarys had spent the night here instead of at the inn; surely she would have been mortified with her co-conspirator's unrestrained rage! "What the fuck, Ellona? Who the hell would marry you?"

"I don't know--a man who realizes the hypocrisy of his own sleeping around while shaming any woman who dares do the same, maybe?" As if what she'd done could even be called 'sleeping around'. Ring around her finger or not, she'd only fucked one man in her life before the previous night's obligatory consummation. Her main mistake had been in choosing the prick who stood in front of her now, or it would have been if not for her children. "Leave me alone, Ietrin. My husband and my brother are both better fighters than you are, and don't assume either of them care that you're the crown prince."

"Oh, I'm sure both of them would care! You robbed me--you robbed the kingdom--of my heir!"

"My son was never your heir! I didn't sign your damn papers!" And of course he remembered that! Why involved Elarys if Ellona had cooperated? Unless maybe he'd just wanted a sexual favor. If that was the case, they deserved each other. "Maybe my mother would have, but that's hardly her right now, is it?"

"It would have been, if you hadn't fucked everything up!" For a second, she thought he might smack her. She was almost disappointed that he didn't. If he'd laid a hand on her, she could have called on the guards and had him removed, possibly banned from her presence for the rest of their mutual lives, whatever his position was. It was against the law to strike another man's wife. "Damn you, Ellona! I loved you for years. I loved you so damn much. And you gave me a son when my wife couldn't! By right, I should be able to do as I please!"

"Don't try to guilt me! If you think love means ownership, find yourself a fucking dictionary! I owe you nothing! And I didn't give you Kaldar; God damn it, if I hadn't wanted him myself, it's not like it's impossible to find herbs in this country!"

"And you wonder why I thought you'd never marry! My God, you are the most vulgar, blasphemous, uncultured woman east of London! You know what? Thank you for making me appreciate my wife a little more! She might be barren as the Sahara, but at least she never speaks to me of herbs!"

"Who says she's barren at all?" And for all she'd always been more or less indifferent to Jeda, it felt damn good to finally say it! "She has as many children as I do, in case you're too stupid to count. Maybe you're the one with the problem!"

She'd done it--she'd finally gotten him to shut up, staring and struck-dumb like she'd pulled out a blade and stabbed him in the gut. If only for a second. "How dare you."

But she did dare. Oh, did she dare. "No, sir. How dare you. How dare you try to take away my say in Kaldar's future--and Kaldar's say, for that matter. How dare you go behind my back and rope my scheming bitch of a mother into our private affairs. How dare you barge into my brother's castle, a castle where I've been effectively lady for nearly a year now, and scream at me like some unruly child? How. Dare. You!"

A wad of spit flew from her mouth and landed squarely on his shoe. She doubted he even noticed. He'd reached his threshold of comprehension; a wad of spit was a mere formality. "Get out."

"This isn't over!" He stomped the foot that she'd defiled, perhaps hard enough that the soul might have stung.

She felt much worse for Neilor's floor. "It damn well better be! Now really--get out. If I have to look at your face for another minute, I swear to God, there won't be a woman in this kingdom who hasn't heard about the size of your cock."

NEXT CHAPTER:

10 comments:

Van said...

Guys, I think I'm addicted to Skyrim. :S

Winter said...

It does seem to be like gamer crack, doesn't it? (I don't play, but it seems like everyone else is all over it!)

Way to go, Ellona! (And Van, for the awesome update!) She was in top form, really, and it was a joy. He deserved every inch of that. "Who the hell would marry you?" - what a jerk!

I'm a little afraid for Jeda now,
though. I don't trust Ietrin's 'appreciation' for her to last any further than the door, but I can imagine him deciding to 'prove' he's not deficient via Jeda's womb.

Sigh. The nobles are going to have their hands full if Roderick goes anytime soon. At least he is almost all bark. Ietrin has just enough bite to make things difficult.

Alix said...

I'm beginning to really like Ellona.

Skyrim is madness. With all the DLC and sidequests, I've had it for a year and still not come close to finishing all of it.

Van said...

Winter: It certainly is! Probably a good thing I won't have access to the X-Box when next semester starts. XD

Yeah, she seems to have recovered quite quickly. But perhaps that unexpected act of friendship was just what Ellona needed to get the wind back in her sails.

Ietrin... yeaaah, I wouldn't want to be Jeda right now either. Even if Ellona hadn't insulted his virility, Kaldar is (currently) out of reach, so Ietrin's going to have to make another heir somehow. :S

Heh. I'm betting the nobles are hoping Roderick has decades ahead of him yet, no matter how they dislike him. Actually... come to think of it, probably the only one who outright hates Roderick is Octavius (who hates Ietrin more). Severin thinks Roderick is an idiot, but I wouldn't say he outright dislikes him, most of the time. Lorn is pretty neutral toward Roderick, but he did kind of marry the guy's daughter, so for Leara's sake, he's not about to wish Roderick any ill.

Alix: She does have a certain charm to her. :)

Oh, the sidequests! I've been trying to stick to the main story when possible, but I keep getting distracted by the most random things. Craziness! XD

Anonymous said...

There are worse addictions to have than Skyrim, I'm sure. ;)

I'm with winter, though -- as thrilled as I am with Ellona letting Ietrin have it, I'm worried about Jeda. She's in so much trouble when Ietrin gets home. :( The only way Ietrin can, in fact, prove himself is through Jeda.

Heck, if I were Ellona, I'd seroiusly consider start spreading rumors about Ietrin's lack of virility, but I'm afraid that would hurt Jeda more. But who knows? Maybe Ellona and Octavius could team up. The enemy of my enemy is my friend, after all.

And since Laralita doubtless wants her sons to inherit after Ietrin ... hmm ... maybe even Severin could get roped into the project of "Get Ietrin under control." *fingers crossed*

Van said...

True that. XD

This does put Jeda in a very undesirable position. I doubt Ietrin let her in on his schemes, but I wouldn't be surprised if some part of her was totally okay with Kaldar inheriting as long as Ietrin left her alone (although, the majority of her is probably Team Dea if she sees that as a possibility--you know, her own kid and all).

Rumors of Ietrin's lack of virility? Yeah, I'd probably do that if I were Ellona too. But you're right--the angrier Ietrin gets, the worse things are for Jeda.

Octavius doesn't like Ellona all that much, but that's largely due to her relationship with Ietrin, which is now over. Whether he actually warmed up to her or not, I'm sure he'd suck it up and cooperate with her to take down the greater evil that is Ietrin if it occurred to either of them to team up. Laralita probably does want her sons to keep their places in line too. And Severin? Well, he doesn't like Ietrin at all, and his daughter is Ellona's best friend, and from what we've seen, Octavius is probably his best friend right now. Ietrin may be in a cushy position, but he's not without threats, at least if they ever get organized.

Penelope said...

Heh, the whole time I was reading this, I was thinking about how Jeda's marriage has been an endless stream of embarrassments from day one. Poor girl.

Van said...

Yeah, poor Jeda has not had a single happy day where her marriage is concerned. She gets some happiness from her daughters, but alas, that's not a sufficient distraction from the suckitude of being married to Ietrin. :S

Unknown said...

I need a like button for this post or something cause it was just amazing. Love you Ellona <3!

Van said...

Ellona does kick some serious butt. :)