December 26, 2012

In Which Casimiro Comes as He Is

August 23, 1180

Casimiro found Ellona in her bedroom, just as Neilor had said he would. The children weren't there, which first struck him as odd--wouldn't she have wanted every last minute with them, if she thought there were no minutes to spare?--but then again she might have wanted them to live out their last days of freedom as usual, or she might still have been contemplating just how to tell them.

Not being a parent, he supposed it wasn't his place to guess. He was here as what he was--her friend. "Ellona?"

Her head barely tilted, her eyes still set firmly on the folded hands in her lap. She looked somehow younger, stripped of her tough exterior and apparently several years as well, small and hopeless and exposed. Casimiro stiffened. Some men--though none he'd ever cared for--liked their women stripped of all adult agency, but he'd never understood it. There was nothing beautiful or ideal about breaking someone's spirits, taming another human being like some animal. Such was the work of those who found pleasure in cruelty. "I can't believe they did that to you."

He sat down next to her and she held back what he guessed to be a whimper, what he guessed he never would have heard out of her. At least he could help, if she'd take it. "Marry me."

She looked up, an amber eye peeking out between strands of black hair. Her face was half-hidden more often than it wasn't and he'd never thought much of it. He didn't like to think she styled herself out of fear or shame or any such bitter emotion. "I couldn't ask that of you."

"You would be asking nothing." She knew he'd planned on marrying someday. She was more than clever enough to figure out that he wouldn't have come to Naroni if he hadn't had a shot at Lady Rona's hand, for all it wasn't Lady Rona himself that he wanted. It was a horrible thought, that Rona or Ellona or any woman would have done just as well as any other, but perhaps it wasn't quite true. He didn't want romance, but he did want a friend. Ellona already was one. "If anything, it would inconvenience you after this is taken care of."

She sniffed. "I don't care about being inconvenienced."

"Then marry me."

Ellona dragged her foot back across the floorboards. "I don't want to be the person who ruins your life."

"And you won't be. What, did you think I was planning on marrying Searle?" He'd meant that as a joke, but she didn't laugh and neither did he. It wasn't funny anyway. "You won't be the person who ruins my life, Ellona. I don't want to be the person who could have stopped yours from being ruined and didn't."

"Casimiro--"

"Please. I'll be a good father to Kaldar and Ella." And after what Ietrin had done, it was all too apparent that they needed one. "And maybe we'll have some more of our own, if you like. And if you meet a man who makes you happy, you can have him too--sauce for the gander and all that." He bridged the gap between them with a hand atop hers, the same insignificant comfort he'd once offered his sister as her little baby fought over every last breath. "We'd be an odd sort of family, and I know that. But we'll work, somehow. I promise."

Her eyes fell briefly to the site of his touch, following as he stroked her fingers. A half-minute of that and she wilted to the side, her body light against his side, her hair soft against his neck.

NEXT CHAPTER:

7 comments:

Van said...

Hope everyone had a great Christmas! :)

Just as a heads-up, I'll be revamping my schedule somewhat in the new year, just with a new class schedule and all--and, hopefully, the return of my other stories (and while I've said that a million times, I'm hopeful that this will be the time I mean it). As for the remainder of this year, planning for Friday and Sunday as usual, which will probably be the least busy days for me anyway.

Ann said...

I love Casimiro! He's awesome!

I don't know exatly what I expected from this post, but it definitely wasn't that! This was both easier and harder than I imagined. I didn't expect Casimiro to offer marriage right of as he did, although I did expect him to agree to the idea without much if any prodding. (He was the only likely candidate in my mind and since Elarys so obligingly offered her daughter the key to her trap... >:D
It seems I underestimated him. Now I want to start a karma fund for the guy! He really really deserves to find real honest passionate love.
Pity Anna is kinda far away or I might have tried using mind-power to get her to give him a hug! XD Not because I feel sorry for him, but because he's so great.
Ellona and him will make a great team! The kids already like him, so I don't see them objecting either. And Ietrin isn't going to be happy, so that just puts the cherry on top! Thwarting him and Elarys is just too damn great! *does bunny dance*

Van said...

He's certainly a sweetheart, more than worthy of a karma fund. Alas, I don't have any potential love interests for him at the moment, but who knows? More gay/bi men could always move to Naroni. Also, Casimiro's only twenty-two, so maybe he's got a shot with one of the current teens once they grow up.

Nope, Ietrin and Elarys are not going to be happy about this. :)

Anonymous said...

Same to you, Van!

What a GOOD guy that Casimiro is! I knew he'd come through for Ellona! :) I do have to say, going from "Crap, somebody's trying to take her kids away?" to "Marry me" in ten seconds flat does speak volumes for what a stand-up guy he is. I raise a virtual glass to their marriage, because given the time period they're in, I think it's the best thing for them!

I just hope they're sensible enough to get it made official with one of Octavius's drunk, STD-ridden brothers BEFORE Ietrin and Elarys have a chance to find out about it and try to stop it.

*fingers crossed*

Van said...

He does have a heart of gold, that Casimiro. And a level head too, apparently. :)

The marriage will be good for both of them. Ellona gets to keep her kids, and gets increased security and social standing without the serious restrictions on her freedom that some other Medieval husbands might have insisted on. Casimiro gets an understanding beard who is also a live-in best friend, and possibly the chance to be a daddy if he and Ellona decide they want that. And Ellona's kids get a live-in, consistent father-figure. Everybody wins! :)

As for whether they made haste to the altar... well, Ietrin doesn't look too happy in that preview picture. Take that as you will. ;)

Winter said...

Good for both of them! It's a supremely practical arrangement, and obviously a very nice gesture by Casimiro. It proves he has a heart and a soul, which makes him ten times the parent that Elarys ever was or could be to those poor children. I'm proud of Ellona, too, for putting them first. I hope she's back to swearing and spitting by the time Ietrin comes to call, though ;)

Van said...

A practical arrangement? In this time and place, in this situation in particular, definitely. :)

Ellona is a pretty resilient individual overall, for all she might not realize it. Now that she knows everything's going to be okay (for now), I'm sure she'll be back to swearing and spitting in no time. :D